Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't own one personally, but a friend's folks do & I've eaten many a meal cooked on it and they have all been really good and the meat tender every time. I'm speaking of everything from hamburgers to ribs to briskets and chicken as well. I have probably eaten twenty or more dif meals cooked on theirs & thot it did a great job. It is also pretty fast & easy to use.

Here at home I still use an original "Mr. Smoker" my bride gave me almost 40 years ago for smoking and a gas grill for the rest of the outdoor cooking. The Mr. Smoker is nowhere near as fast as the Traeger, but it does a good job w/turkeys & hams if given adequate time and still gives good service. FWIW, I've had to replace the pans and grills in the Mr. Smoker at least twice. My friend's folks have not had to do anything to their Traeger and they have it in fairly constant use. They have had it for some time now, but I cannot tell you the exact number of years.

Hope this helps.

edit: Gene Sears Supply in El Reno, OK handles them. Gene is a long time ATA shooter, has won the Grand as younger man and an all 'round good guy. You might consider buying one from him, if you decide that you want one.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Got one - its the second smallest one they made and its more than large enough to cook for 4-5 people. This is the Smith & Wesson line that I believe has been discontinued. It was the same grill just a different name.

Eric

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have had one for years. Pellet grills are the only way to go. They start up quickly and are easy to use. You can smoke / slow cook at 190 degrees of cook steaks.
The only thing that goes wrong is the electric igniter will burn out every few years so keep a spare. Mine was made in the USA. Traeger now has them made in china and sells them thru Costco. I bought one for one of my kids and it seems as well made as my earlier USA one. Do a web search on "pellet grills". There are several other brands available. The food is great. Even pizza.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have one. Just upgraded to the larger model at Costco. Great deal. I bought the new one(Traeger) for $999. My old one(Traeger) I returned the next day and got $799 credit. It was 2 years old. No questions asked. The guys I bought from came to my house and set the new one up, which took 1 hour. It cost me $50. Great Company. I have ordered replacement parts for my old grill and they were sent at no charge.
The food cooked on them is GREAT! Because it cooks like an oven with indirect heat that is circulated around the food, steaks and meat are extremely tender and lose no moisture. Mine gets up to around 450 degrees. The smoking function works nicely too. Pellets are cheap at Costco and can be had at other stores as well.
Overall, a well made,functional grill/smoker that should last you a long time. I highly recommend them. Pete

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
I have the larger one Q75 model. Picked it up at the factory in Oregon in 2002. It has been a great smoker but I don't use it for steaks. IMO it sucks for gilling but smoking is awesome. I would never buy the large one again as it is really way bigger than I have ever needed. Make sure to get the wheel kit and digital controls. Don't let them sell you on the Traeger pellets. They are expensive and not needed. I buy mine at Cash and Carry, D & B Supply, Ace hardware etc and I think they are "Bear" in brand and work fine

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Our son has a large Traeger grill/smoker that feeds itself pellets after you enter the desired temperature in the digital control. It also has a matching smaller "side smoker" for things you just want to keep warm or cook extra slowly. He loves it but did find it wind-sensitive, which I guess would apply to any smoker. His older MasterBuilt is in a small outbuilding in his back yard so wind is not a concern with it.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts