Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two weeks I've come across three Citoris that are between 2 and 6 MONTHS old rusting. Is anyone else seeing this issue or have a clue what might cause this. I don't know the maintenance history on two of them but do know that one is cleaned and lubricated after every shooting day.

Thanks for any info.

Bob

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If the gun is put away in a case while still warm they condense and rust, same thing happens if the case is absorbing moisture when eft open in a damp or high humidity inviorment. Cool them down wipe them down.

Surfer

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Anything steel needs to be treated accordingly. If you put it away dirty with fingerprints and no oil then it'll rust especially in humid or coastal climates. Immediately after I get home from shooting I scrub and wipe the gun down with CLP and make sure ALL metal surfaces have a thin coat of CLP on it before I put it away. Also helps to have a safe with silica in it.

Light rust can be taken down with 0000 steel wool from the hardware store. Just make sure to keep it oiled and keep an eye on it afterwards. If all else fails you could always have the gun refinished with something more resistant to corrosion. It may not look pretty as bluing but Cerakote is extremely durable and resistant to corrosion. Just don't neglect the rust thinking it'll stop because it won't; eventually anything left to rust turns into dust.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No doubt it'd work but I'm not sure if it'd be a little too much; may also be difficult to use with precision. Give the 0000 wool a go; preferably brass or copper over steel if you can find it. If you can't find it locally then order it online. It's much safer and gentler to use on your blued guns.

edit - A little trick to be more precise with the wool is to wrap a little of it around the tip of a pencil or wood dowel and work it gently like an eraser over the rust.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
funny you mention that because I had a Mono Gun that would try to start rusting on me where the bluing had worn off. Apparently the steel Ljutic uses has a high chromium content and it doesn't hold bluing very well. Before I sold it to a gentleman here I had plans to just plate the receiver or just Cerakote the entire gun flat black or SOCOM blue.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm not sure about what to do about the trigger group because it was a little pitted when I bought it (it was 21 years old then). I might have to go the Cerakote route but I'd hate to do that, but buying a new trigger group would also suck because they're about a G and some change.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yeah the damn trigger groups are never cheap whether they be Perazzi or Ljutic or whatever. Keep an eye out in the marketplace section and you can find used trigger groups in good condition for I think $350 - $500 or so. Depends on exactly what kind of gun it belonged to and the finish. Cerakote actually doesn't look too bad as long as you choose the right color and have it applied professionally and cured in an oven.

Not my guns in these pics but here's the SOCOM blue Cerakote and IMO it looks pretty close to the original Ljutic bluing. Nothing is exact but it'll still look good.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I shoot a Browning XT and have had no problems with rust. But, I always wear gloves when handling the gun and keep an oily rag in the gun case for a wipe down after shooting is over.

Chris

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. Not one of my Browning's have rust. I'll have to try harder.
grntitan, Im like you I've never had a browning rust. but I clean & lube after every shooting session. + our humidity here inOKC has been running about 70%

jack mc

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have several Browning's. None of them have any rust. Trap guns can get hot. NEVER put a hot, or even a warm gun in a zippered case. You're begging for condensation to form on the hot barrel and rib. If you don't remove it quickly you'll have rust all but guaranteed. This is true with ANY make of firearm, not just Browning.

·
Sky Buster
4,163 Posts
I have several Browning's. None of them have any rust. Trap guns can get hot. NEVER put a hot, or even a warm gun in a zippered case. You're begging for condensation to form on the hot barrel and rib. If you don't remove it quickly you'll have rust all but guaranteed. This is true with ANY make of firearm, not just Browning.
I wipe my Perazzi MX-8 down with a dry towel after shooting and have
never had a rust issue.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I thought condensation forms on cold steel, exposed to hot humid air. Like when you take your gun stored from inside air conditioned areas, or from the basement, with the insulated case, then open it up in hot humid air. The condensation not only forms on the gun metal instantly, but in the case also. Then when the gun is put back in the case, that condensation is inside the case, now locked inside with the gun.

I keep those little silica gel moisture absorbing packs in the case. They must be kept away from touching any metal. When I get home, I open the case up and let it air out in the air conditioned temps. It allows the moisture to evaporate into the colder air, because the case temperature is warmer. I also use Birchwood Casey Barricade Oil. No rust.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But Bob,

Did they rust within a few months of new with good maintenance? I've got a couple of Brownings that get minimal maintenance, one 21 years old and the other 33 years old and have never had the rusting issue that these Citori XTs have had within 2 to 6 months of coming new out of the factory carton. I understand maintenance, I understand a light coat of oil, I understand humidity. I do not understand this very short time frame for rust, especially in the one I know is cleaned and oiled each time it comes in from the range My question is specifically about Citori XTs that are less than 6 months old. My son's XT does not get that kind of maintenance and is about 8 years old and doesn't have these kinds of issues at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts