Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title said - Anybody been to the Barrett Jackson auction in Scottsdale ? I have owned a few collector cars in my lifetime and would love to go to this event just to see the sights . . . . and witness the testoterone that must be present in the auction area based on the prices paid for some of the cars.

My personal belief is that the casual attendee would have no real reason to purchase a car there due to a potential feeding frenzy bidding, the added buyer's premium, the sales tax, and the shipping charges to get the car home.

Questions arise re: cost to enter, availability of reasonably priced hotels in the area, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
18,811 Posts
Always wanted to go just to look and gawk at some fine machinery, but don't know any prices for admission or the like. Charlie

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Last year we took in Barrett Jackson and the shot show in one trip. Both were good sight seeing opprortunities. Made a nice 9 day trip all in all.

If you are going as a spectator, it seems the price was about $15.00 and $8.00 or $9.00 per day for seniors. Not a bad price for what is one of the best car shows going. Seems a bidding number was about $125.00 for the whole show with approved credit or cash. Had no trouble finding a hotel in nearby Mesa at a reasonable price. I'm sure you could get accurate pricing at Barrett's web site.

Have fun.

Bob

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Very expensive to get a "package" to get into the bidding game....bring lots of money just to be allowed to play. It has been my observation that Scottsdale is the most expensive of the 4 or so shows B-J does every year....and it appears the recession is over judging by the $200K for a '55 Ford F-100 and the $120K for a '55 BelAir....that being said, hot rods again appear to be the big bargains, selling for 50 cents on the dollar and less...

Ron Burr

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have been several times. Never bought a car...most were overpriced. Always looked at adds for the surrounding area for collector cars instead from the locals. Always would bring back several.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Not too awful considering...if you ARE planning to buy...for regular guys the first couple of days are the tier of cars WE can afford..if you hit the right car at the right time there are bargains out there...I got at Mecum (same basic price structure)a cherry 66 Malibu SS convertible with 54K original miles with a 2yr old rotisserie restoration and 327/325hp 4spd 4.10rear car with factory AC for $11,700 out the door..if you see a car go across the block twice with a no sale..approach the owner with an offer as most would rather sell than tote it back home

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Firswt you cannot walk in and then buy a car. You need a letter of credit from your bank or a deposit on hand and I do not think you can walk in and do that. I believe you have to pre-register. It is a blast to walk around and look at all the great cars and other items that they have to sell. The hair on my beck stood up when I saw the prices they were getting. The year I was there, Ford rented the parking lot and were taking people on a drifting adventure right there in the lot. It is a great adventure and lots of fun

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Have been to the BJ auction for several years, this year bid cards are $500, that includes admission ... Getting to be a total rip off once you pay all of the fees if you buy ... Russo and Steele was crowded but they changed their operation also, you cannot get into the auction tent unless you have a bid card, there are some really good deals on some very nice classics that could be everyday drivers and show cars ... 1955 BelAire 2 door sedan, 383 small block, 4 speed, posi, very nice paint and interior $24,700 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Watching last night when a 2014 Camaro being sold for charity, brought $700,000.00

A friend who liked old T-Birds, lived in California, and he went several times. He even was on TV, on the sales floor as he bid on an old one. He said later, he was glad he didn't get that one. Sadly he's gone now.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
Tonight will be the BIG ONE - 1966 Corvette Coupe, all original, L88 427 engine.
57 T Bird series E went for $300k. What bad economy?

blade819

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have a friend who was never a car guy but after selling his company started amassing a collection of cars. He's up to about forty buying one and selling another to upgrade his collection and adding one here and there. He see's buying high end cars as a hobby and an investment. If you look at the rising prices of specialty cars he may be spot on regarding the investment side of the game.

He did drop my jaw a couple of years ago when he paid over 200K for a VW 23 window van, he thought it was a fair deal given what's going on in the marketplace.

It's all relative to what's in your pocket................

Surfer

·
Registered
15,907 Posts
Back in the 70's I had a 67 Shelby GT 500, 69 Hurst Olds, 70 Pontiac GTO ragtop,
71 442 and a 70 442 W-30. They were all low mileage, well cared for vehicles
that made a profit for me by 1987. The true enjoyment was driving these ultra HP, one of a kind muscle machines down Hwy 100 on Friday or Saturday night with 1000's of other gear heads ala American Graffiti. Listening to that cam lope and gutteral exhaust just begged you to tromp on it. Of course there were the girls too.

Being an average guy that saved his money from entry level jobs, anyone could have $3-4 grand in his pocket and obtain pure US made super cars and fill the tank with Sunoco high octane for 27 cents a gallon. Those were the days.

The days of finding an original muscle car for a reasonable price from any other guy down the block is rare. The auction houses cater to multi millionaires that store & flip the cars like so many Hot Wheels cars. They don't really seem to have a true appreciation for Detroit muscle. It's all about the profit derived. How many of the icon Americana 50's, 60's & 70's vehicles are sitting in Arab warehouses
collected by oil sheiks?

Calvin MD sounds like he did very well on his buy. I always liked the Chevelle's. I'm gonna find a Sunbeam Tiger, 65 Pontiac 2+2 or a 65 Riviera GS before I'm dead.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I know sellers from western Canada who sold cars through B-J at the Scottdale auction and got the shaft when it came time to collect. I've also noticed that the classic/collector car guys you read about and see on TV NEVER buy or sell anything through B-J. They prefer Gooding and Co. & RM. That tells me something about bang for the buck.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
If you want to go to a good auction..look in Hemmings Motor News for estate sales by independent auction houses or go to shows like Carlisle in Pa ...but in truth Craiglist and Ebay will find your specific dreamcar without near as many fees and less immediate competition...yes I did great on my Malibu but like said if the seller and Mecum wouldn't have decided to eat some of the cost to make the deal I'd have left...plus nobody else bid on the car due to the bench seat..everybody there wanted buckets/console ,..ask me if I cared ?? Sold the car before I ever registered it in Texas for an 8500 profit

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
That 1966 Corvette Coupe, all original, L88, 427 engine, 425 hp., Cherry red 1 of 1, 1 of 20 L88's made, sold for $2,100,000. Rick Hendrick was in the bidding for a while.

Update: It was a 1967, and it sold for 3,500,000. I must have walked away before it sold. Last I seen was 2,100,000. Once it went over $2,000,00 I was out.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Better than a 401K in many instances. All a guy can do is kick himself in the a$$! I shot up few muscle cars out the end of a bore!

·
Registered
232 Posts
We just sold our mustang there on Saturday for 175000 had a lot of fun working on it...great auction n well run..but better bring your A game to feel good about going all in no reserve...lot number on ours was 1287...definitely be back..

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I lived in AZ from 1980 to 1990, and went many times.

I still remember the white Boss 429 Mustang that went for 11,000 or something crazy like that :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts