Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
For some reason I have slowly obtained a number of these reloaders and was wondering if anyone else here has the sickness?

I have owned everything from a MEC 600 Jr. to a Spolar Gold.

Amazingly my favorite loaders are the Texas Progressives and the DP (Pacific)-300!

Just wondering if there are others using these older presses as their full time major press???

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I have a Texan fw-12 single-stage clone of the MEC-600, but it's not in use. Love to see some pics of a Texan progressive.

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
Hi,
For some reason I have slowly obtained a number of these reloaders and was wondering if anyone else here has the sickness?

Amazingly my favorite loaders are the Texas Progressives and the DP (Pacific)-300!

Just wondering if there are others using these older presses as their full time major press???
Could we see a pic of your Texan collection.

I had a well used Mk 3 back in the 70's. Finally to much wear led it out of time. No one in my area could ever get it back to functioning efficiently including machinist friends.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I've got a half dozen old DP-2, FW, and various parts and dies for different guages, but haven't got them out in a spell since I got the Grabber.

Why is there such a gap in station utilization between the wad insertion and the shot drop station. Looks like the shells are just going for a ride for almost four cycles. Once that happens, a loaded shell comes out every cycle, but why the gap?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ll1.JPG
ll2.JPG
Hi,
The timing for the powder/shot dump is set by the depth of the roller shaft, that is actuated by the cam behind the wad holder.
The machine is really simplistic once you figure out how to tear it down and put it back together.
Here is a pic of the herd, actually gave me a chance to wipe everything off.
Of course, after I took the pics!
Need to sale a few of these, rather see them working, than sitting around.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
When I first got mine I threw away the spent primer catcher thinking someone had replaced it with a spray painted pepper can. Went on the internet to look for a proper catcher. Found out that is what they used - a spray painted pepper can! Luckily the can was still in the trash and I dug it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a half dozen old DP-2, FW, and various parts and dies for different guages, but haven't got them out in a spell since I got the Grabber.

Why is there such a gap in station utilization between the wad insertion and the shot drop station. Looks like the shells are just going for a ride for almost four cycles. Once that happens, a loaded shell comes out every cycle, but why the gap?
Hi,
I don't really know, I guess they built them that way so there were extra stations to use if needed.

Once you get going, like you said does not really matter.

Just learn when to start and stop the powder and shot at the right time!!!

·
Premium Member
6,027 Posts
View attachment 1646521 View attachment 1646523 Hi,
The timing for the powder/shot dump is set by the depth of the roller shaft, that is actuated by the cam behind the wad holder.
The machine is really simplistic once you figure out how to tear it down and put it back together.
Since you have this collection along with loading on a unit, just thought you might like to know that Leo reloaded on a Texan. He really did reload.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Great loaders! I have 2 Texan progressives. I will try and post some pics! At the moment they are not in use, as I have a squad of P/W progressives in action, but I fully intend to get these old timers back to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Yep, Inherited my from my Grandpa, I recall helping him when I was a boy, I now have (3) 12 gage and (1) 20gage. Mark IV's, I have Restored all of the 12Gage from the Frame up. I'll be restoring the 20 gage this year.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,
If you understand how these loaders work, there is enough, "play" built in to reset them on the timing to take up for wear if needed.

I doubt there is another design made that will run so long or far, with no worn out parts to be replaced.

It sure is not a PW 800, been there,done that!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yep, Inherited my from my Grandpa, I recall helping him when I was a boy, I now have (3) 12 gage and (1) 20gage. Mark IV's, I have Restored all of the 12Gage from the Frame up. I'll be restoring the 20 gage this year.
I have 2 of the early Mk II,s one of which is 20g the other is 12g. I also have 3 of the MK IV,s, all of which are 12g.These are great old machines, over 50 years old, and still performing! I,m currently refurbishing them. They cost me a lot of money to ship here, but well worth it! I,m currently looking for original shot & powder bushings for them...Any one? Dave

·
Registered
480 Posts
View attachment 1646521 View attachment 1646523 Hi,
Great collection!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts