Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are just about on lockdown here in NJ due to the virus. Almost every club has cancelled events that would permit a shooter to compete. Some have permitted individuals to shoot practice on their own but all organized shoots are off for the time being.

The topic of waiving target requirements was brought up to me today. We have our southern zone shoot coming up the first week of May and then the Delaware State Shoot (held in NJ) at the end of that month, followed by the NJ State Shoot shortly thereafter.

While I know many of you-myself included-have more than enough targets to meet the requirements, many of our shooters rely on smaller shoots and big 50's in April and May to get their target requirements met. I know some other state shoots are before ours.

Have any other state leaders considered making this move yet?

Tony Pietrofitta
Secretary NJSTA

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
If that list keeps growing there ain't gonna be any shoots big enough to need target requirements...

Seriously though, that's a damn good question.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was going to start this same topic question yesterday, but wasn't exactly sure the best way to word it. Only 100 registered birds thus far this year. It's been too cold!

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Are we talking about our individual states? I believe the California group has great common Sense. I trust them to do what is needed. they are well informed and people that do not panic.
Stop the panic. It will get better!!
Steve

·
Registered
489 Posts
Stoker1042,
I’m glad to see that you are already thinking about these things. Tells me that the shooters of NJ have a great person in a very important Board position! Our Ohio State shoot has long had some very inflexible target requirements designed to help insure proper classification and as even a playing field as possible. On the last email from the ATA I counted more than 60 ATA shoots that have been canceled or postponed already. Target requirements for early season events will almost certainly need to be reviewed and modified.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
SCTP has waived the minimum number of practice sessions required for Regional ,State, and National competition. Not sure what WI ATA board is doing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steve-

If you are on Facebook or you check the NJSTA webpage, we put the Pine Valley postponement on there.

And while I am aware that our state shoot could be cancelled or moved, I'm trying to think ahead and be positive. We have a state meeting scheduled for mid April and it is on the agenda. If we are still on lockdown I am going to see if we can have the meeting as a teleconference. Before that meeting took place, I wanted to see what, if any other states have decided to do.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Seems more like just waiving the rest of the target year. Maybe the Az state shoot will be the last of the "big" shoots?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
And right after I typed that, the Az state shoot was cancelled. Yesterdays 100 in the handicap made for an excellent last champion!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
This isn't going away by May...or even the summer. Maybe some shoots in Sept or Oct. That's about as soon as we'll see large gatherings again, I think (if then).

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
Known ability. Unless they just started this year, they have a history and a record of their ability. Why not use that? They do anyway.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The FL State Shoot is not canceled , they moved it to the end of May . At least that what I read yesterday . And yes target requirements ,a lot of guys around here might have 3 or 400 targets in this target year .It might make sense to change something about that

1 - 20 of 30 Posts