Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
Browning Citori CX, Browning Maxus II Carbon Fiber, Beretta 303 Trap Special
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is where this goes but wondering if there is anyone local to me that may have recommendations on a club to join and what those costs may be and any requirements tied to joining. I am within 45 minutes of Xline Shotgun Club, the ISRA range in Bonfield, Palos Sportsmans Club, Frankfort Sportsmans Club, and the Downers Grove club. I would be interested in Trap, Sporting Clays, and Skeet. Other shooting disciplines would be cool but are not a requirement. Right now I have been heading out to the Diamond Indoor range which is nice but I would like to branch out and maybe meet some like minded folks. I also would be interested in maybe something that is organized such as ATA. Thanks for any guidance you guys may have.

Jim

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,485 Posts
Palos is nice but busy. Has all 3. No registered.

x line doesn’t cost to join. Just show up. Jack Miller is a great guy. Sporting and trap leagues and games. No skeet. Registered 2-3x per year.

Downers has all 3. Need a member sponsor. Good targets. Regular registered.

Diamond throws Big 50 programs. Not a bad place to practice. They need to improve lighting and correct the turned fields if they want to have success long term. Good folks who run it.

No registered at Frankfort or ISRA. Isra range is pistol and rifle only with a small clay thrower in the back.

You should also look in NW Indiana. Griffith izak Walton and Glen Park IW in merrillville are good, no membership. The latter throws ata. Griffith is practice and games only. Trap only at both.

Hope that helps.

·
5,550 Posts
Well... you pretty much outlined the South/Southwest Suburbs operations... time for the rubber to hit the road... road trips. You have to see and experience what you want to buy into. Find out if what they offer, is what you're looking for.

Reactions: Cat97628

·
Registered
153 Posts
Palos is nice but busy. Has all 3. No registered.

x line doesn’t cost to join. Just show up. Jack Miller is a great guy. Sporting and trap leagues and games. No skeet. Registered 2-3x per year.

Downers has all 3. Need a member sponsor. Good targets. Regular registered.

Diamond throws Big 50 programs. Not a bad place to practice. They need to improve lighting and correct the turned fields if they want to have success long term. Good folks who run it.

No registered at Frankfort or ISRA. Isra range is pistol and rifle only with a small clay thrower in the back.

You should also look in NW Indiana. Griffith izak Walton and Glen Park IW in merrillville are good, no membership. The latter throws ata. Griffith is practice and games only. Trap only at both.

Hope that helps.
It’s like you live in the area or something… 🤣

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and yes this does help point me in the right direction. Sounds like Xline may be for me at least to start and that one is in my backyard. Always thought you really needed to know someone to go out there and shoot. My grandfather was a member in the 80's and I haven't been out since.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Open shooting under the lights every night after dark in Chicago. All guns legal. This weekend outstate deer shiners will attend as they are used to shooting out the car windows!!!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
X-line would be a good place to get introduced to registered trap. Jack will be happy to help you out. I think they also have a 5-stand league. Here is Jacks's contact info from the ATA site:

JACK MILLER
[email protected]
It’s a sporting clays league. More robust than 5 stand but not quite a full sporting course. Lots of fun and good practice.

from jack:

Xline's Winter Sunday schedule! Call Big Jack for more Info! 815xxx295xx1194 (I broke up the phone number to help protect from bots/scammers)

410 protections will be on 1st & 3rd Sunday’s September; October; November; and December. 12 gauge protections & Handicap Blackboard shoot will be on the Second & Fifth Sundays. And the Sporting Clays Blackboard shoot on the 4th Sundays!

He also throws ATA marathons on Tuesday. If you talk to him ahead of time he will hustle guys up. Helpful for target requirements.

·
Banned
K-80 Trap Special
45 Posts
If you try out all the ranges you would probably figure out pretty quick which one was the best for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Try Downers Grove SC. They shoot 5 days a week, have all the shotgun sports, plus senior members hunt the property. They have regular registered shoots for ATA and NSSA plus a few club shoots as well. Also, they just might have the lowest cost targets in the area.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
St.Charles Sportsman club in Elburn,IL great club, offers sporting clays, 5 stand, trao, fos shooting members. Full members have psitol. archery and skeet as well.

·
Banned
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Elburn is getting a bit far for me to do on the regular but worth checking out on a weekend. Do they have public shoots?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Downers Grove has games every Friday night 7-10….stay awhile, play awhile….take home something worth while! :)

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Try Downers Grove SC. They shoot 5 days a week, have all the shotgun sports, plus senior members hunt the property. They have regular registered shoots for ATA and NSSA plus a few club shoots as well. Also, they just might have the lowest cost targets in the area.
Definitely not the cheapest. Not by a long measure. X line is $5/25, no membership. $6 for members at DG and $7.50 for guest.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks Elburn is getting a bit far for me to do on the regular but worth checking out on a weekend. Do they have public shoots?
St. Charles Sportsmen's Club has no public shoots or games. You can shoot at SCSC 3 times a year as a guest of a member and you can attend ATA shoots. SCSC also holds IDNR wingshooting clinics which are open to the public.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anything you want to shoot you can shoot at Palos. The sporting clays is open everyday. Trap, skeet and 5 stand are open Wednesday, Friday Saturday and Sunday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts