Trapshooters Forum banner

Any signs the Ammo shortage is letting up?

25818 Views 173 Replies 88 Participants Last post by  howareyanow
i have seen ( not here) guys posting pictures of 10 to 25 Flat buys they are making . What is going on in your area?
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

· Registered
13,535 Posts
Our Walmarts are as dry as the Mojave Desert!!!

The shelves at BPS are the same. There are a few clay target shooting ranges that will sell you ammo for targets. One or two of these clubs are out of shells as well. Good Luck Y'all finding ammo at your big shoots this year. break em all Jeff

· Registered
1,122 Posts
I took my daughter to Walmart this afternoon in NW Arkansas to do some mothers day shopping and I went through the sporting goods section. There was 10 boxes of STS' for $7.87, some 100 packs of AA's for $29, and several Estate 100 packs for $22. There was even some Remington 30-06, .243, 45-70 and a few .22LR.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
Most stores in our area have ZIP for target shells. Out local Wally world got in about 10 boxes of AAs mixed 1250 and 1200 FPS and had about 3 boxes of Win. Super Targets . This is the FIRST Target ammo they had in MONTHS ! They limited you to 3 boxes and the stuff was gone in hours as soon as word got out. At one of the clubs I shoot at people are all finding shells very hard to find . Some are saying they are very worried about shells availability at the Grand and may not attend if the Grand cannot assure there will be enough shells available. Our state is holding it's spring championships this month and as far as I know no one from our area is going. They are saving their shells for the surrounding state shoots. Some clubs are really worried about having enough shells on hand for their up coming state shoots. One of the guys I shoot with heard they had some shells at one of the Sporting goods stores in the area . He went there and was told he could buy ONE BOX ! I know these people are freaking CLUELESS when it comes to clay target shooting but it if very frustrating to drive a long way to get ammo and be told BS like that ! I know the ammo companies are running 24/7 but with all the hoarding and the fact that the heavy shooting season is JUST NOW getting started , it will take a LONG TIME to catch up. I don't think the outlook is very bright for the near future .

· Banned
2,714 Posts
Most stores in our area have ZIP for target shells. Out local Wally world got in about 10 boxes of AAs mixed 1250 and 1200 FPS and had about 3 boxes of Win. Super Targets . This is the FIRST Target ammo they had in MONTHS ! They limited you to 3 boxes and the stuff was gone in hours as soon as word got out. At one of the clubs I shoot at people are all finding shells very hard to find . Some are saying they are very worried about shells availability at the Grand and may not attend if the Grand cannot assure there will be enough shells available. Our state is holding it's spring championships this month and as far as I know no one from our area is going. They are saving their shells for the surrounding state shoots. Some clubs are really worried about having enough shells on hand for their up coming state shoots. One of the guys I shoot with heard they had some shells at one of the Sporting goods stores in the area . He went there and was told he could buy ONE BOX ! I know these people are freaking CLUELESS when it comes to clay target shooting but it if very frustrating to drive a long way to get ammo and be told BS like that ! I know the ammo companies are running 24/7 but with all the hoarding and the fact that the heavy shooting season is JUST NOW getting started , it will take a LONG TIME to catch up. I don't think the outlook is very bright for the near future .
I wonder how many hoarders are causing all of this? 1...5? Thousands? More than that?

· Registered
1,107 Posts
In NJ, big-box stores are prohibited from carrying firearms or ammunition. So that leaves the mom/pop stores. 5 of the 6 that I visit in the north of the state are dry and getting nothing anytime soon, the one mid-size store usually has a few flats of Win Super-Targets for $110 per. I stopped buying those at $80. That was in February.

I made some connections with a couple of sporties that get AA’s through their clubs and taking their spent hulls @ .05 ea. Came home with another 1k today and now I’m deep enough on hulls/supplies to get me into September. After that, who knows...:(

· Registered
1,198 Posts
In NJ, big-box stores are prohibited from carrying firearms or ammunition. So that leaves the mom/pop stores. 5 of the 6 that I visit in the north of the state are dry and getting nothing anytime soon, the one mid-size store usually has a few flats of Win Super-Targets for $110 per. I stopped buying those at $80. That was in February.

I made some connections with a couple of sporties that get AA’s through their clubs and taking their spent hulls @ .05 ea. Came home with another 1k today and now I’m deep enough on hulls/supplies to get me into September. After that, who knows...:(
Easy with that Sporties comment or you’ll end up in trouble. Real trapshooters never run into situations they have to rely on weirdos that shoot that junk.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Easy with that Sporties comment or you’ll end up in trouble. Real trapshooters never run into situations they have to rely on weirdos that shoot that junk.
LOL! I never claimed to be a real trapshooter! In fact, this is my first season at it and I picked the worst possible time to start. Besides, desperate times call for desperate measures and I can take weird all day long if it means i keep the press running! ;)

· Registered
22 Posts
Hey, I'm a trap shooter, but I sure love me some sporties too. Unfortunately, it's way too easy to get in trouble here. Anyway, 4 box limits seem be be common up here in WI, if you're lucky enough to find it.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
Hope shooters boycott stores like the one you mention.
You people need to stop confusing me. First you say big box stores are evil, WalMart puts mom and pops out of business and we should support the mom and pops. Now, you all are saying the opposite.

· Registered
644 Posts
The manager of my local gun club told me today that he has not heard when his next shipment of shells and components will arrive. He also said the buyers don't know when they will receive shells.

I think I will lay off of shooting anything until I see a break in the action, and save the small number of shells I have left for a major shoot.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.