Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
20200504_195402.jpg I have a full box of 1000 and would like to use in as or Remington hull or any others. any information would be appreciated. Thanks eggs73

·
Registered
140 Posts
According to my old reloading books (Lyman 2nd Edition dated 1976) I find only one reference to that wad: (quote) C-112, A one piece white cushion-base wad available in 12 gauge only.

It appears to be a 1 oz. wad used in a C.I.L. Canuck Plastic Target Cases Only type hulls. If you do not have those hulls you may have to send loaded shells out to have them tested if you really want to use them. On pages 106 to 113 you can find the loading data. I personally would put them in my “man cave” and move on with your reloading something else.

That is just me!

Ken

·
Registered
743 Posts
Eggs - assuming the box in the photo is the original box for the wads, can we get a photo of the entire end of the box? I still think these are 2 piece wads which is why the box-end has the options for "assembled" and "unassembled".

·
Registered
140 Posts
BDOG22 you may be right. It dose say "VAARIWAAD" and might be a play on words in so far as VAARI WAAD splitting the wording a part. I'm still looking at my old loading manuals to find that wad wording as it were.

Ken

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wads are about the cheapest part of a reload. Be a shame to waste good shot, powder and primers just to save a couple pennies. Maybe load a few in a low pressure load, like a green dot load, and see what it does. I was given some of those about 15 years ago and threw them away for reasons I mentioned. These are just my opinions. Load data will be tough to find I should think. Colonel

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Been at this a looooong time. These wads (if two piece there was a Lage wad too) were designed to use with short stack heights by separating the wad and indexing the base to one side and "stick" it back together to make it shorter. If there was a lot or stack height, put the wad together on the posts on the base to make it taller.
This was back in the day of AL5, AL7 and Red Dot on 8oz square tin cans. Herters had primers for $1.00 a hundred. And fiber wads (that would throw all sorts of hot fiber back in your eyes) were still used a good bit.
AAAAH the good old days--My Butt!!! Data? No help there but most shooters today don' remember when IF you were lucky enough to have a hull, you figured out how to load it. We all went to loading heaven when the AA's came along.
Dam I'm old!
Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Eggs - assuming the box in the photo is the original box for the wads, can we get a photo of the entire end of the box? I still think these are 2 piece wads which is why the box-end has the options for "assembled" and "unassembled".
Yes they are 2 piece....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The wad in hand doesn't appear to be match the wads that came in the box.
Canucks were a straight wall Riefenhauser hull, with paper basewad like Federals.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
A few years back, I got a bunch of reloading components from an old family friend, which included unfired primed AA CF hulls, unfired primed Canuck hulls, and a huge box of 2 piece wads. They are all still around somewhere, probably in the garage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts