Trapshooters Forum banner

any of you guys ever see a .22 caliber shotgun...

29432 Views 35 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Slugo
just picked up this highly collectible piece at the Conestoga Firearms Auction. Yes, it's a real shotgun. Remington Model 121 .22 Routledge Smoothbore. Produced only 3000 copies between 1936 to 1955. This one is from 1947 and in near mint condition. Here, take a look...

Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Trigger

Gun Rifle Firearm Shotgun Air gun

Gun Firearm Shotgun Gun barrel Material property

Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory

the last 12" of barrel is tapered out to almost 410 diameter!

Pipe Muffler Metal
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,816 Posts
I was at the PA Junior Conservation camp near Penn State in 1967 and we shot a game called "Skeeters" with them. There were hand thrown mini-targets and the setup was presented by a Remington Rep, although it's tough to recall much about it, through the haze. I may have a shoe box full of old photos someplace. Thanks for showing the gun, it brought back a flood of great memories,,,,sniff.

best ....mike

· Registered
K80
220 Posts
Yes. In the '60s at a YMCA camp we had them in bolt actions and shot at mini targets and they called it "MO SKEET"! Try that at a camp nowadays. Thanks lawyers.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fred Routledge was the inventor of the gun barrel. He then convinced Remington to come out with special clay target machines and small black clay birds named MO-SKEET-O. Here's some interesting info...

Retro style Vintage clothing Photographic paper

Photograph Snapshot Photography Vintage clothing Stock photography

Metal Auto part Grommet Circle Nickel

· Registered
2,637 Posts
Great piece, thanks !

I have a in mint condition Mossberg Targo gun and mounted thrower on the barrel...Also a Remington 511 in Routledge Bore anlong with the Mini Quail trap made by the Black Products Company...the Mini Quail is almost a copy of the Mo-Skeet-O trap...

Love seeing all this history !!!

Dave in SC

· Registered
1,690 Posts
Back in the day I had a Remington Model 10 .22 cal smoothbore, bolt action, black nylon stock. Used those crimped "rat shot" shells to kill hundreds of marsh hens back when you could still shoot them with the motor running.

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we should have a Special Forum here, for old geezers!! Love talking about the old days. BTW, guess what a box of 50 .22 birdshot cartridges sells for!?! $13.50 for CCI!!!

· Banned
477 Posts
Bought a Mossberg Targo with attached Mo-Skeet throwing arm from an old buddy in the early 70s for $30.00 still have it complete with the original the 6" rifle barrel extention -- also have a Mo-Skeet trap machine that I bought at a local garage sale with Mo-Skeet targets for $25.00. How did I do ?

No, I'm not interested in selling for what I paid for them.

Joe

· Registered
1,762 Posts
Didn't know they had .22 moskeet. I have a 9mm single shot bolt action moskeet gun and a couple boxes of shells. Never seen a target. Could you use the modern day midi targets?

Rw

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
laugh if you must, but Ritz Crackers make great targets for the little smoothbores. Flick them with a backhand like you do a Frizbee...

· Registered
907 Posts
Yes! My dad has one in his gun safe that's never been shot. Now that he is gone I am trying to get it from my mother so I can keep it and maybe some day pass it down to one of my grand kids when I am gone. Dads safe is full of old gun's that he never shot.

· Registered
126 Posts
Also made them in winchester model 61's which are collectable as all get out. On a side note, the Rutledge girls are pretty racy for that time period! mY how things have changed...

· Registered
2,854 Posts
I've got one along with a case to put it in, broken down, and the trap to throw the targets. During the summer, I occasionally take it to our club and we shoot some targets at the end of the day. Lot's of fun watching some of the release trigger shooters not being able to pull the trigger.

Ed Yanchok

· Registered
25,339 Posts
Remington made a limited run of smoothbore Fieldmasters (Model 572 SB) about five years ago. I wanted one for a pest control gun inside the buildings at the ranch, since the shot does little damage to the building. Never got around to it as something else always got to my wallet first.

About 25 years ago Daisy made a line of bolt action .22 rifles. One of these was a smoothbore shotgun.

· Registered
809 Posts
Slugo, I have a hand held cracker thrower called a "Cracker Wacker". I can throw a Ritz cracker about 30 yards with it. It sorta looks like a hand held clay target thrower, but holds a cracker. Butch from Pgh

· Registered
425 Posts
I have a Savage 22 smoothbore that I shoot pests with. The trouble with cci's they don't open up in a smoothbore I use Winchesters as they are crimped and open up. There range is about 35 feet to kill anything with the number 12 shot. I also shoot CB caps and they are pretty accurate at short range.

Dave

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.