Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an opportunity to own a 32" m21 trap gun.
i know30" is more common, and i know all the reasons why people prefer 30 or 32. my question is, considering the gun itself overall, how bad does that extra 2" effect balance? is it bbl heavy? did winchester compensate for it with more lop in back?
or...can you feel a difference between 30 and 32"?

·
Registered
14,800 Posts
There were fewer 32" guns made. Barrels are relatively thinner than current guns, but weight/balance/sight plane is better with the 32" than a 30" as far as I'm concerned. I had Briley put thin walls in mine for hunting and sporting.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I'd love to own one of those. Mine was a single trigger field grade that I bought as a junker and restored. Got to hold a Grand American once. Drool worthy.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Are you planning on using it for your go to trap gun or just for hunting or sporting clays? There is a reason none of the big guns shoot side by sides for ATA shooting.
I have had 21's in the past (not for trap shooting) and I think there is more felt recoil than a SBT, OU or auto. With respect to 32" being barrel heavy, I definitely feel they are what I would call "nose heavy".

·
Registered
560 Posts
I owned and shot a M21 with 32 inch barrel and it balanced and swung fine.

As we all know, back in the day, some very good scores were ran with what we now call vintage / nostalgia guns.

However, equipment and hardware have changed quite a bit and we don't see those guns (21's, 12's, 31's or old SBT like the Flues) on the line anymore except at nostalgia or fun shoots.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had a 21 with a 32 inch barrel ventilated rib that was a trap gun, 14 1/2 inch length of pull Monte Carlo stock , I thought it was a very well-balanced gun, What kind of stock dimensions does the one you’re thinking about buying have?

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14 1/2" lop mc stocked vr.

sounds to me they engineered the bbls to be thinner to compensate for the extra forward weight.
is that what im reading?

i shot 26- 28" 21's. never a 32" or a 30 for that matter.

many dont realize my draw to winchesters, but you must understand, winchester was only 9 miles from my home and family worked in it.
as far as other guns surpassing them....is a moot point. whatever they are, my uncles didnt halp make them.

conn was home to a lot of history. 3 houses down from me growing up....was one of the engineers who was part of the M1 garand line during ww2. marlin, high standard, heck.....the stick mags for thompson machine guns were made in my hometowm of seymour, where my aunt worked. the old abandoned factory burnt down in 2008.
just a lot of history in my back yard so to speak, thus my interest in those brands.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I’m not sure they engineered the barrels that way, I think the difference was so little that no one noticed, I understand your affection for Winchesters, I grew up reading Jack O’Connor who started me on my love affair with them, You made me count up, I have owned six Perazzi’s, all fine guns, But I made a 27 yard line with my model 12, I foolishly traded the 32 inch model 21 to a friend of mine in Missouri, years ago for my first Perazzi. Ned Schwing book “ Winchester’s finest the model 21” is a good read, full of information for those that like model 21s

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are trap 21's flat shooters?

·
Registered
583 Posts
By today’s standards of trap shooting, I’d say yes, a trap model with a ventilated rib however is going to shoot the highest of any of them, 21s, particularly the trap grades we’re almost a custom order, I remember one I wanted in the worst way, A late 60s gun, beautiful Monte Carlo stock, vent rib, full & modified choke’s, with a 26 inch barrels and a factory letter , Let us know if you buy it, and how it shoots

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only 21's a shot were no rib. it was like looking down a gutter. but, wherever that bead pointed, it shot.

·
Registered
685 Posts
question would this model 21 have a raised vent rib and be factory cased with fore end. is it stamped trap on bottom of receiver thnks howard ps. I have mdl. 21 trap 30 in. cased mint cond. any 21 is collectible

·
Premium Member
19,222 Posts
I shot my first registered trap scores with my granddad's Model 21. 28" barrels, full+full. It was a 1957 model. My granddad ordered it new from Winchester. I sold it years later to pay for my Perrazi. Wish I still had it, but it didn't fit me. I love the 21's. Wish I had a Grand American.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I own 3 21s

12 28” m/f
20 28” ws2/ws2
16 28” m/m. 28” ws2/ws2 English stock

used all 3 in SD for roosters 16 is my fav

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Mod 21 trap full&full with 32” bbls. Raised ventilated rib. Straight english stock. I looked at the serial numbers and it was manufactured in +/- 1947.

One of my grandpa’s buddy’s ‘up at the lake” in Minnesota was a champion trap shooter, and factory rep for Federal Cartridge. His name was Dave Yeager. Anyway, my grandpa got the gun from Dave maybe in the early ‘60’s . It is in pretty good shape for a 73 Year old gun and it is my favorite. One thing is for sure, when I miss a target, it isn’t the guns fault. I’m sure Dave hit thousands of targets with it. Dave shot it a lot.

It sure gets admired at the range.

It is this fellows gun. Still has his name written on the case.

David H. Yaeger, 79, of Cohasset, died from cancer Thanksgiving night, Nov. 23, 2006 at The Lodge at Grand Village.

He was born in Rochester, N.Y. April 10, 1927, son of Raymond and Hermine (Hill) Yaeger. Dave served in the Coast Guard during World War II and moved shortly after to Minnesota to pursue his career. Dave was a humble man, who rarely spoke of his accomplishments – 45 year employee of Federal Cartridge, Anoka, sales promotion manager, professional trap and skeet shooter, an exhibition shooter and adult and youth firearms instructor. Dave won national championship honors in skeet and trap. He traveled all over the United States, and his gregarious nature made him friends wherever he went. He had the opportunity to hunt with celebrities, politicians, and famous sports figures; but above all, he most cherished the times he hunted with friends. Dave was inducted into the Minnesota Sports Hall of Fame. He volunteered his time raising money for Camp Confidence to benefit mentally and physically challenged children by sponsoring Celebrity Trap Shoots in the 1980s and 90s and volunteered working with youth firearms safety and marksmanship training. In 1996, Dave fulfilled his dream of living by the lake in the Grand Rapids area, he so loved.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a 32" pigeon, vent rib, sg and a 30" regular rib, pg trap. the 32 " is certainly not bbl heavy compared to the 30". swings just fine. I find they shoot flat which suits me. great guns. just be sure the rib is on tight. the vent ribs were known to "pop" off on the line on occassion. enhoy it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have 5 left, not able to shoot much any more the years have gone by. I want to keep two of them for a while longer. If anyone is interested in one or all 3 PM me I am willing to put them into the hands of someone who would like to own a 21.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Shoot a 1941 M 21 Deluxe Trap, 30", M/F, VR, SG. POI about 60/40 for me. Had a 32" that seemed like I consciously had to push the barrels to get to the target. The 30" is one of the most naturally instinctive pointing trap guns I shoot, as it seems like "swing the barrels, pull the trigger, target breaks".

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The "Trap" marking on the bottom of the receiver noted the grade of the gun. I've seen 28" WS1/WS2 marked with the "Trap".

Pat

1 - 20 of 65 Posts