Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I've been around since $1.65 shotshells went to $2 in Canada, about 60 years ago. Trapshooting was going to die, as a result.
Funny thing, Trap shooting is still alive and well..
This hiccup in the marketplace will pass.
I'm not as optimistic. A 35 cent jump is a bit different from watching shells that were 50 to 55 a flat for say, gun clubs or top guns, to 75 or more a flat. If prices remain at that for promo shells and premium shells stay in the 100 dollar range it could definitely be a game changer. I really think manufacturers and all in between to retailers are taking a chance at really hurting the sport. I know some people right now that are barely able to shoot at even a bit of a reduced rate who says if things get much higher they'll find something else to do. And let's save the " back then the dollar cost in today's money is..." It's a non starter. The only thing that matters is what people can afford TODAY. With other prices going up money for discretionary spending will dry up.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Jk said a mouthful. I think any industry that is gouging the very source of their existence is walking on thin ice. Like the old saying goes, don’t bite the hand that feeds you. I’m perfectly happy fishing and hunting. I don’t need to spend a $150 to shoot a round of SC when I was spending $75, which already isn’t cheap if you wanna shoot weekly.

·
Registered
14,098 Posts
What a ripoff. Some retailers just fail to understand what damage they do to their reputations when they do stuff like this.
They don't do any long term damage at all. If that were the case, CTD would have been out of business years ago. People come back when the prices fall, and compared to most consumer goods the firearms industry has a pretty captive market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jk said a mouthful. I think any industry that is gouging the very source of their existence is walking on thin ice. Like the old saying goes, don’t bite the hand that feeds you. I’m perfectly happy fishing and hunting. I don’t need to spend a $150 to shoot a round of SC when I was spending $75, which already isn’t cheap if you wanna shoot weekly.
My normal go to supplier has held the line for the most part on components when they could get them. They put limits which makes it inconvenient to drive the 90 min and the supply doesn't last long. I will remember the outfits that jacked the prices when they had us by the short hairs and will patronize those that kept things profitable but affordable during all this. Would rather drive and spend the money on fuel than be gouged sitting at my keyboard ! JMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
$119 per 1000?!?! At those prices I’m gonna start looking at a custom bowling ball. You gotta be crazy to spend that on 1000 primers

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
$119 per 1000?!?! At those prices I’m gonna start looking at a custom bowling ball. You gotta be crazy to spend that on 1000 primers
I’ve already got a custom bowling ball. Won several over the years. Bowling is good physical therapy. For certain injuries.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
A 35 cent increase in the early 60s was significant money.
That $2 box - cheapest shell on the market, would be $17.50 today, with inflation.
Shooting has been incredibly cheap in recent years, when compared to historical costs.
If you think disposable income is tight now, you didn't experience the 50s and early 60s, like I did.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
When they have them Walmart still sells AA for $7.87 a box or $78.70 a flat and Winchester Super Target for $60 a flat.
Those are still decent prices given today's market in my opinion.
Components do seem to be in a forever up spiral.

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
A 35 cent increase in the early 60s was significant money.
That $2 box - cheapest shell on the market, would be $17.50 today, with inflation.
Shooting has been incredibly cheap in recent years, when compared to historical costs.
If you think disposable income is tight now, you didn't experience the 50s and early 60s, like I did.
I made $49 a week and lived pretty good.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If things don’t go back to normal soon I will likely sell my target guns and just stick to bird hunting. Saltwater fishing is very expensive and I can’t do both.
I used to fish saltwater party boats on saturdays,shoot guns on sundays,routinely for many years until I was just plain getting skunked far too many times on fishing trips,so I quit that.
Well now the ammo chain is no better,getting skunked here also,may as well go back to fishing as I know what ill be getting back into..

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
I used to fish saltwater party boats on saturdays,shoot guns on sundays,routinely for many years until I was just plain getting skunked far too many times on fishing trips,so I quit that.
Well now the ammo chain is no better,getting skunked here also,may as well go back to fishing as I know what ill be getting back into..
Party boats are a gamble. I’m not a fan. We had a 24’ center console and normally do well. Sometimes I think the party boats deliberately don’t put you on the fish. They need to save their resources for when they have charters and the regulars are aboard.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
yes,you get to know certain captains that will only go to their regular spots and not try others.
other capts get pissed when another one gets too close,so they maintain their distance.
some just run it , nothing more than a buisness,take it or leave it, that why i left as they not working for my fare.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I am sure that the manufacturers are charging the retailers more. Everybody’s costs are up.
It’s a free market.
If somebody wants to pay an inflated price that a retailer marked up, they are free to do that.
At least there is supply, at a price.
I have paid some high prices in small quantities, because I want certainty.
I’d rather have the option of having some shells & components than none.
Winchester raised primer 25%, which keeps them under $40/1000

·
Registered
83 Posts
Winchester raised primer 25%, which keeps them under $40/1000
Thanks. Good information. So Lohman‘s is being aggressive with their pricing.

No wonder their primers have not sold out yet. Their choice -and the choice of prospective buyers.

·
Registered
16,756 Posts
Cabela's had 209's last week for $79/1K. I will not participate in that kind of tomfoolery. Shame on them.

HM

·
Well known trouble maker
3,214 Posts
Primers are a commodity. Powder, wads and lead as well. There are no restrictive patents limiting production to limited producers. And I am an absolute believer in the force of supply and demand in a free market system.

The pricing on components will find a resting place that is dictated by supply versus demand once the logistic problems plaguing this country are resolved. It will happen. It always does.

In the meantime, it is the wild west.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Im going out on a limb, because Shot shell primers and lead are just not in the system, yet we hear "we are making them/it, we are shipping them/it"... Im going to say the primers are held up in containers at ports waiting customs. Unions run the ports and if the Democrats want certain items held or lost, guess what, the Union would do underhanded deals with Democrats.
Thats my suspicion.

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Im going out on a limb, because Shot shell primers and lead are just not in the system, yet we hear "we are making them/it, we are shipping them/it"... Im going to say the primers are held up in containers at ports waiting customs. Unions run the ports and if the Democrats want certain items held or lost, guess what, the Union would do underhanded deals with Democrats.
Thats my suspicion.
I'm betting primers from Rem, Win and Fed are domestically produced and are not held up in ports awaiting clearance from Customs. Most of the port back-up is on the west coast. Cheddite primers are made in Europe, not Asia. And I have seen Cheddites and Feds become availalble at CAC from time to time. The don't last long.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Thats my suspicion.
You hear that one on Qanon?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts