Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something with some room and the Flex seems to have it. I would appreciate comments from anyone with hands-on experience. Thanks!
Dave

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
And its not made by Government Motors...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I almost bought one with an ECO-BOOST engine. I didn't got an F-150 instead. The reason I didn't get a Flex was because with the ECO-BOOST ---it's a race car.

Chuck

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
No experience with them, but Ford used to be the "Wagonmaster", making more station wagons than anyone else. The FLEX looks to me to be a modern version of the station wagon. I'm not knocking station wagons. I had an 85 Crown Vic wagon. Excellent car. Anyway, you might find some useful info at the link.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We have a 2012 model with the Eco boost engine. Great car for trips and hauling a lot of people (up to six with three rows of 2) or stuff. The road manners are quiet and stable, the ecoboost engine does make for speed and quickness if you want to go there. Get roughly 19 mpg around town and mid 20's on highway. Very comfortable interior with a like it or hate it exterior.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
When GM told us in 1995 that they were going to cease station wagon production in 1996, we protested but were told that station wagon buyers would simply switch to SUVs or minivans. I spent the next five years buying GM station wagons in nice condition for our used vehicle inventory and paying out-of-the-book money for them, as they were a hot commodity. Our customers told us that if they wanted to drive a truck or use a stepladder to wash their car, they would already have an SUV or minivan. Every time our district sales manager stopped in, I would make him stand out front for a few minutes and watch the Subaru Outbacks and Ford Taurus station wagons drive by. Then I would show him what I was paying for those used GM station wagons. But by then, it was too late.

In its infinite wisdom, GM did realize its mistake and suddenly we had "crossovers" and smaller SUVs. How smart of them!

Ed

·
Supporting Vendor
9,953 Posts
The old station wagons from the 50's 60's and 70's have become highly collectable and are fetching a good prices.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Neighbor has a 65' Ford Country Squire station wagon in amazing shape. Still drives it daily.

Recently saw an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon at a local car show, really interesting to see the evolution of vehicles over the years.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I drive a Mercedes E-350 wagon--perfect vehicle for shooting; all the seats fold flat, 4 wheel drive & with distronic its about the safest thing for the long drive home from distant shoots.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I was rear ended by a brand new one in Mena, AR. She hit us hard, and there was not much damage to the Ford Flex, seems to be a sturdy front end!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a 2011. Had it for 2 years now. Love it. Non eco boost engine but it is AWD and it gets 25 highway, I drive the speed limit. City driving 21. It is great in snow with AWD. never spin a tire. Has all kinds of power. I would love to have the eco boost engine. We have bench seat in the middle not the most comfortable for 3 but it works when we have used it. Great interior room. Lot of space behind second row seats. My friend has a 2009 and they are the reason we bought ours.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The wife has a 2010 AWD with almost 100K on it. Great car (actually it is tagged as a truck) Only issue we've had was a seal leaking in the PTU. Replaced under warrenty. Wifey wants another one..

·
Premium Member
10,525 Posts
I have a 2010 Flex Limited with EcoBoost. Not a race car but has the feel of a small V8. Six speed transmission helps the MPG. Mine gets 24 MPG on the road and 18 MPG in the city. At 70 MPH it runs just under 2000 RPM.

It's a lot of car. When I go to a big shoot I carry my mini golf cart in it and all my shells, guns and luggage. I like mine and intend to run the wheels off it.

... and it's not an Obamamobile.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had one (2010) but found it didn’t quite work real well for our shooting equipment. The rear section is slanted towards the tail gate so without modification our gun cases kept sliding and bumping the rear hatch. Made some nasty marks and you were never quite sure if they would fall out when the hatch was opened. Also hit our heads a lot, especially when we parked up hill, just not enough clearance. Modifications made to take out the slant and add shelves, but still hit our heads.

Other than that, loved it! Plenty of room, can get 6 adults in without hunching over. Was loaded, essentially a Limited without the price tag. Have since traded for a Ford MXT. Not quite as much slant, much better head clearance and a bunch of safety features the 2010 Flex didn’t have.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just rode in back seat of one and surprised at room for 6'2" big guy. I thought my 2013 f150 had lots of room in back until now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts