Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
15,223 Posts
Not so sure on the "new" part, the 690 dates back to 4+ years ago.

From what I can tell Beretta will be abandoning everything pre-694 in their mid-level range very shortly if they haven't begun already. So their lines will be 686, 694, DT11.

If the 690 is based on the 692 or SV10 action, don't waste your time, they were both flops from Beretta.

· Registered
13,507 Posts
Keep Looking!!!

Both the Silver Pigeon and the 690 are too light to be a good target shotgun. IMO anyway. The 692 has too many problems. In Light of Beretta's current customer service, and their long known problems with barrel regulations. I say look at the CG Summit line of shotguns instead. Same cash, better service and shotgun. break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,988 Posts
The 692 has too many problems. In Light of Beretta's current customer service, and their long known problems with barrel regulations.
Jeff,

What are the "too many problems" and what are "their long known problems with barrel regulation" that you mentioned?

Please answer from your actual personal experience and not anecdotal stuff from third parties if you can. Thanks.

· Registered
13,507 Posts
OK, here's the story:

I started shooting again in 2003 at Palm Beach Trap and Skeet. Joe Fordham ran the club and had a AA or AAA shooter order a 687 EELL O/U shotgun from him. When the shotgun came in he could not hit targets well at all. Joe and the member of this private club went to the patterning board. Where it was determined that the bottom barrel was shooting 12 inches to the side. Joe himself sent the shotgun back to Beretta for the new owner and asked for the barrel to be replaced. After 3 months Beretta reply was the barrel shot within factory specs and would not repair or replace it. So Joe bought the shotgun back from the member of this club and wholesaled off his entire inventory of Beretta shotguns. He never sold another Beretta shotgun at this club until the club closed its doors. This all happened before the economy crashed in 2008!!! Several posters here on TS.com have had the same issue. While Beretta's barrel regulation is not a huge problem, and all companies can have a problem barrel get by them. I would not want to gamble 4 grand of my money on one of Beretta's O/U shotguns today. Knowing in advance Beretta will not fix their problem barrels like Browning does. If a large gun dealer could not get Beretta to fix a barrel made 17 years ago. What are my chances as a private buyer to get Beretta to fix this problem today??? This story happened at Palm Beach Trap and Skeet Club. A private and respected club for decades before it closed. break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,988 Posts
OK, here's the story.
Many thanks. So your only personal experience of a barrel regulation issue was the one you mentioned that happened at a club you shot at some years ago and the other experiences you mentioned are anecdotal.

I've talked at length to our Beretta importer (part owned by Beretta) about this since it's been a recurring theme on TS.com. I'm told the incidence of a barrel regulation issue arising is as rare as once in every 5-10 years in the UK. Considering the many thousands, if not tens of thousands, of Beretta O/U and S/S shotguns that have been sold in the UK in over 40 years to my knowledge, that's a pretty small percentage when you work it out. Speaking from my own personal experience having owned and shot many Beretta O/Us (680, 682, 682X, 686, DT10X, DT11, 692 and having even trialled a 694) competitively since 1979, I can only say I've never once had a barrel regulation issue and furthermore I have never known anyone who had one. I'd have been the first person to have complained if I'd had one because I would have had no desire to traipse around the world shooting inferior equipment in international competitions to my own disadvantage and at my own expense. Not one of my Beretta shotguns was specially selected for me. I was treated just like any ordinary punter.

To the best of my knowledge Beretta barrel regulation is as good if not better than that of any other top tier manufacturer.

You said, " The 692 has too many problems". It's true that when they first came out there were two issues, one with the ejectors and one with a trigger mechanism retaining screw, however, those were remedied some time ago. I have two 692s which have been inspected retrospectively by Beretta and have worked faultlessly. I see no reason why they should not continue to work faultlessly.

· Registered
13,507 Posts
I've talked at length to our Beretta importer
Maybe you can ask your Importer, why "Our Importer" denied repairing a shotgun for a Beretta Distributorship back in early 2004!!! Joe (who ran the shooting club, and pro shop) became so enraged over how Beretta USA (or whoever ran the importing for Beretta back then?) handled the barrel regulation problem with the EELL shotgun he tried to sell, Joe dropped the entire Beretta line over it. The catch phrase "Shoots within Factory Spec's" has been mentioned here on TS.com. by too many respected shooters here to deny that is does not exist here in the US. I will not go into names. It was this exact same catch phrase used by Beretta at the Palm Beach Trap and skeet club back in 2004. I don't deny any company can have problems here and their. Every company does. Its the fact Beretta will not repair there barrel mistakes "Here" that gets at me. I am Glad to Hear that this Problem does not happen in the UK. If we can believe a Beretta paid employee, who is a salesman by trade? But in the end your right, its a small problem with a well known and respected firearm company. Mmm break em all Jeff

· Registered
2,154 Posts
I have a 687 SP III. Both barrels shoot to the same POA, and it weighs just north of 8 lbs. Not a heavyweight, but not too light either. It's quite comfortable to shoot.
My brother has a 692 and a 694 and they have been flawless.
All three have been purchased from Joel Etchen. Maybe Beretta supplies him with better guns...

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Maybe you can ask your Importer, why "Our Importer" denied repairing a shotgun for a Beretta Distributorship back in early 2004!!! Joe (who ran the shooting club, and pro shop) became so enraged over how Beretta USA (or whoever ran the importing for Beretta back then?) handled the barrel regulation problem with the EELL shotgun he tried to sell, Joe dropped the entire Beretta line over it. The catch phrase "Shoots within Factory Spec's" has been mentioned here on TS.com. by too many respected shooters here to deny that is does not exist here in the US. I will not go into names. It was this exact same catch phrase used by Beretta at the Palm Beach Trap and skeet club back in 2004. I don't deny any company can have problems here and their. Every company does. Its the fact Beretta will not repair there barrel mistakes "Here" that gets at me. I am Glad to Hear that this Problem does not happen in the UK. If we can believe a Beretta paid employee, who is a salesman by trade? But in the end your right, its a small problem with a well known and respected firearm company. Mmm break em all Jeff
Jeff,

Many thanks for your response. I suggest you put your questions to your local Beretta people who would no doubt know the specifics of the issue your friend had better than anyone else. Have you any other examples from your own personal experience apart from this one to support the comments you made about Beretta quality?

You have misquoted me regarding the frequency of barrel regulation occurrences with Beretta O/U and S/S shotguns in the UK. If you re-read what I wrote I stated, " I'm told the incidence of a barrel regulation issue arising is as rare as once in every 5-10 years in the UK". I did not say it has never happened in the UK.

You went on to say, "I am glad to hear that this problem does not happen in the UK. If we can believe a Beretta paid employee, who is a salesman by trade?"

You know better than to make snide remarks like that Jeff. It shows you are losing the argument. The person I deal with is a director, not a salesman and I have known him personally for 40 years. He's as honest as the day is long and would not lie to me. I hope you may understand how offensive your remark sounds.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FWIIW, my 690 Field gun w/28" bbls both pattern well, same point about 2" high.

I was shocked to read that a factory bbl for one person shot 12"off center. If the side ribs were untouched from factory to shooter that is almost impossible to believe. Is it possible that situation occurred,unknown?

I have seen that situation on both Perazzi and Beretta that had side rib issues and Poorly re-regulated by a gunsmith I will not name. The most frequent issues occur when a bottom lug is moved to accomodate another type/series forearm for a 2nd barrel.

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@drgondog are you referring to the new 694 50th anniversary which is part of the 690 line?
No, I bought the 'new/old stock' 690 Field Grade for $1700 -very pleased so far. I bought it as a hunting gun- although the factory stock at 14 3/4" LOP is too long. I bought a used 687 stock which I can hopefully fit to the 690 receiver.

Curiously, I have shot Helice pretty well with it so far - it is about 1 pound less than my 30" MX8. Thinking about trading out and going back to Live Bird gun Mirage/MX8

· Registered
3,169 Posts
The 690 is an orphan gun already, 686/687 stocks fit, forearms and barrels don't. My wife has one and likes the gun, but I'm afraid the factory parts will disappear in a couple of years, just about the time I need them. It doesn't appear that 694 barrels will fit either, however I could be mistaken on that.

· Keystone Shooter
2,681 Posts
I have two 687 Silver Pigeon III Joel Etchen Specials, 32” X trap barrels. Both barrels on both guns shot to the same place. NO
Problem with barrel regulation! Both of my guns were a bit light for me. A little over 8 lbs. I added weight to both. For me, they both swing very nice, and smooth. I also had a 686 Silver Pigeon I sporter, bought it used and checked barrel regulation on it. Both barrels shot to the same place. I sold it to one of our club members who wanted a good sporting clays gun. The only problem I had with mine the top receiver lever spring broke. My local gun Smith replaced it and it’s as good as new. Didn’t take him long to replace it. I’ve alway been a big Japanese SKB guy. Loved my GC7, snd my 85 TSS. Both shoot great. I use the 85 TSS as my sporting clays gun, 28” factory ported barrels, straight stock, with an adjustable comb, and removable extended chokes. Both barrels on it shoot straight to the same POI. So my hands on experience with the Beretta X Trap barrels has been great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.