Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Colt SAA 1st Gen I think. It has non matching numbers,623xx and 1105xx To get a letter from Colt do you give them both serial numbers and do they charge you twice? I don't know much about them but it is a 38/40 with 4 3/4 in. barrel. Not marked US Army, with a 2 line address,also it came with solid bronze grips with the Colt Mustang and the Mexican looking Eagle. Any help out there? Or steer me in the right direction. Thanks Butch H

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
The frame number is what is registered with the paperwork. The other parts where replacement.
Try, http://www.coltsmfg.com/CustomerServices/SerialNumberLookup.aspx

The grips (if original/ period) ad a depth to the pistols history that can increase the value greatly. Some people will want the pistol (mixed numbers), "EVERYONE" will want the grips. It would be interesting (possibly financial plus) to see who Colt shipped it too.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Your s# is only 4 years apart among 1st generation SSA black powder.

Can you PM me with your email address, I'll post pictures for you if you like. Most of us would like to see something from the 1800s. So 1straightshot can help you with your grip, and very possibly much more than I can.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but here is an old Colt that I have. I've been told that it is an 1849 Pocket Revolver that has been factory converted to a cartridge gun. It is stamped 36 caliber. The serial number is 80 and the cartridge gate is stamped 84 as is the band around the cylinder. Sorry about the crappy pictures, but my smart phone is an older version and doesn't take very good pictures. The last picture shows the bottom of the grips and is also stamped 80. There is also a date stamp there that says 11.3.58 Bill Malcolm
beretta687eell_2008_030345.jpg

beretta687eell_2008_030346.jpg

beretta687eell_2008_030347.jpg

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Here's a picture of Butch's SSA

stevew_2008_0303249.jpg

Butch stated there're no finish left on it, the flash makes it look this way.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I collect a few of those also, it's a bad disease once you get it.
I'd have to ask if the grips are really metal, or just the hard rubber grips painted?
Even with no finish, the metal looks pretty good.
Have fun with it.

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
There is a photo of grips like yours on google images. They aren't metal though. That image I will link a clickable in the next two postings.

The "Mexican looking Eagle" is perhaps the Indian Wars logo one image of which is pictured at the link above.

Don T

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
Second Eagle logo picture.

Don T

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
SAA Grip picture.

Don T

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Butch, they look like Colt grips with a Federalist Eagle motif. Have you had the grips off the gun? You can take a hot pin and see if they melt a little hole IN THE BACK of the grip. Same way you would test for horn or ivory vs. plastic.
Beautiful honest looking gun. May have a lot of finish gone but it certainly is evenly worn and looks great from the picture. Nice find.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Ask questions here, post your picture here, lot quicker good answers than waiting for a Colt letter.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

1 - 16 of 16 Posts