Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My baby is officilly wore out. Off to Doug it goes so I want to use this opportunity to buy a new gun nothing to expensive 3000.00or less the A400 multi target looks like good deal what you guys think? I like the adjustable rib

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm shooting a multitarget and letting my Kolar rest. Great gun and the adjustable rib and comb are great for trap, skeet, or sporting clays. I like having a auto around for friends or family to shoot. Check out reviews......:3schild25:

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Watch for screws coming loose in the adjustable rib (blue Loctite) and the adjustable comb hardware (epoxy). No problems with the one I had other than those.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
Shoot one for sporting clays. It’s a natural pointer and smokes targets. Nice for trap too. Got mine for under $2000 used. Worth it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mine is three outings old. Along with the rib screw issues , the portion of the barrel that contains the ejector plunger and spring broke and both spring and plunger feel out when dissembling for cleaning. Must be those “Messican Hammers” I’m shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I have had mine for a couple of years now. I really like it. I sent the trigger assy. to Cole's last week for a trigger job. Wow, very quick turnaround and what a difference it made. Factory trigger was about 4.5 lbs. and it had a LOT of creep. Got it back with a 2.5 crisp trigger. I like it a lot better now. Regards, Bob

·
Banned
16,308 Posts
Two friends of mine in WI. have been shooting them for the past few years. I have never seen either have a malfunction and they both love them.

Not my cup of tea. But they appear to be reliable.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
The 400 is a category killer. The best auto out there. Besides its' propensity to rattle screws loose on the rib and rib extension on the receiver, it is the gun to shoot if you are going to shoot one auto gun.

It has a sacrificial part. The Bolt pin will wear and should be kept lubed, and replaced every season. It is a $15 part. It wears so the $600 Bolt Carrier does not.

The Blue gas spring for the 391 from Coles will reduce ejection distance, and will also slow bolt speed to help things last even longer. If you are going to shoot very light 3/4 and 7/8 loads, the Red Spring will allow you to use them.

Shell catchers are once again available.

I let mine go for the sole reason that I shoot a Low Rib O/U, and transitioning back and forth cost me birds. I suggest the 32" barrel. The only issue with it is finding a cleaning rod long enough to clean it from the breech end. Dewey makes a very long rod that will work. Got mine from Amazon.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have one and really like it alot.If you like a semi then this is the one to have.They are the softest shooting gun I have shot.I have been shooting mine for about 3 years now and not a problem with it.Good luck with your decision on what you buy.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
a couple of comments...

1. this thread was started about 4.5 years ago.

2. a bunch of shooters around here got them not too long after they first came out. And then probably within a year or 2 at most they all got rid of them and went back to what they were shooting before that. I really never did hear what was the reason(s) behind sending them down the road.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The 400 is a category killer. The best auto out there. Besides its' propensity to rattle screws loose on the rib and rib extension on the receiver, it is the gun to shoot if you are going to shoot one auto gun.

It has a sacrificial part. The Bolt pin will wear and should be kept lubed, and replaced every season. It is a $15 part. It wears so the $600 Bolt Carrier does not.

The Blue gas spring for the 391 from Coles will reduce ejection distance, and will also slow bolt speed to help things last even longer. If you are going to shoot very light 3/4 and 7/8 loads, the Red Spring will allow you to use them.

I let mine go for the sole reason that I shoot a Low Rib O/U, and transitioning back and forth cost me birds. I suggest the 32" barrel. The only issue with it is finding a cleaning rod long enough to clean it from the breech end. Dewey makes a very long rod that will work. Got mine from Amazon.
Coach,
I plan on heeding your advise, but do not know which part is the bolt pin.
I have looked at Coles parts display on the A400. Would this be part #108 breech bolt pin.
thanks,

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
I have had mine for a couple of years now. I really like it. I sent the trigger assy. to Cole's last week for a trigger job. Wow, very quick turnaround and what a difference it made. Factory trigger was about 4.5 lbs. and it had a LOT of creep. Got it back with a 2.5 crisp trigger. I like it a lot better now. Regards, Bob
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the trigger work at Coles run you? I enjoy this gun for sporting but the somewhat sloppy trigger gets me every one in a while on a tough true pair. Also makes it tough to go back and forth with the Perazzi.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Maybe new autos however I’ll take my 303 any day!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I suggest the 32" barrel. The only issue with it is finding a cleaning rod long enough to clean it from the breech end. Dewey makes a very long rod that will work. Got mine from Amazon.
Pro-Shot also makes a long 1 piece rod, 36" + 4" handle. You can get it on amazon.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought one for $2700.00 and I sold it. It is a nice Beretta, but too expensive for what it is. I found that the noise the bolt release makes, becomes extremely annoying. It is hard to explain, but it is loud, metal on metal. I picked up a used A 400 Parallel Target for $980 at Heritage Arms. With the adjustable shims, it is a great sporting clays gun. Light, responsive and lightning fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really like mine. Bought in early 2019. After about a year I noticed a rattle, lost rear screw from rib. Called Beretta, they sent a new screw , installed it with blue lock title no more problems. HAS 32" barrel and no kick off. It's deadly. I have heard some of the guys I shoot with that have 1 don't like the operational noise. I don't notice it. Put Briley for end weight, bolt release & charging handle in Red. Looks good . I do have a391 Teknys Sporting, heavier and hard to clean gas system.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, how much did the trigger work at Coles run you? I enjoy this gun for sporting but the somewhat sloppy trigger gets me every one in a while on a tough true pair. Also makes it tough to go back and forth with the Perazzi.
Trapshootinkid25, It cost me a little over $8 to send it, the total bill from Cole's was $125 for the trigger work and $10 to ship it back. They also replaced the right hammer brace for $10.35, doesn't say why. I did a lot of research on this site. There is a lot of threads about the Beretta A400. It was posted that Briley's also does trigger work for these for $75 but some were not happy with the results. I can tell you I am very happy with the trigger work from Cole's. That long pull on the original trigger cost me some targets. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
298 Posts
I probably have about 10k through mine, I loctited the rib screws soon after I got it. Mine has been foolproof, I have checked the bolt pin on mine, and it still looks new, the ones that have problems with them may be a lack o lubricant. I'm getting ready to replace the spring and bolt pin just because. It does need the Briley weights to slow the gun down, at least for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts