Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting all my life right-handed and will be 60 next month. I manage somehow to keep screwing myself up and have torn all 4 rotator cuff muscles and damaged 3 tendons. My MRI last Friday shows I did a spectacular job of wrecking my right shoulder. Not shooting just isn't in my DNA, so I'm going to try left-handed shooting as it sounds better than not at all. I have no problem with rifles that have scopes on them but shotguns are a different situation. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm sure others have faced this before. I'm left eye dominate so that's the only plus I can think of right now. I can handle holding the gun up with my right arm and I can swing the gun but it feels mighty awkward to me. I'm not sure I'll ever be competitive from the left but I miss shooting with my friends. Do we have a Doctor in the Forum?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Get a Daisy BB gun, take off the sights , use ping pong balls for targets and shoot it a lot....and I mean A LOT! Your dominant left eye will make it easier.
Ken Rucker

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I had to do the same thing but I am right eyed dominate, I had to put the patch on. It will feel funny for a couple of months if you shoot a lot, longer if you don't.

Kens idea is a help.

I shot for over a year this way and shot some pretty good scores(yes, I was competitive) before I was able to go back to the right side.

Good luck,
Ajax

·
Registered
408 Posts
Had to shoot left handed for one season years ago. Right eye dominant, so, used scotch tape on my right lens. Then dryfired, a lot. Enough to create "muscle memory" on the left side. Worked for me.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You may find in time that being left eye dominant your scores go up. Make sure your stock is neutral or cast for left hand, right hand cast will handicap you. If you practice regularly to condition yourself for left hand shooting I suspect you will be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi MX
I have known several shooters that switched back and forth. My brother would do it in the middle of the shoot. I agree with getting a stock that fits. I would use a PFS it would protect the good shoulder and if your bad shoulder should be back in the game you can switch to right again. The other thing I would consider is a set of companion tubes in 28 gauge . No major recoil and will break them from the 27 if you are on them. 20 gauge would also be better than staying with 12 gauge and a little easier in shell cost. If you are avid reloader load some 7/8 s at normal velocities they work very well .Best of luck with this. Anything worth having is worth working for.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had to switch to left hand in mid January and I am a one eyed shooter I have 5 25 ,11 24s since I came back .my avg. Is up to a 22 . I even broke an 84 from the 27 yd. In pa state shoot. I to have 2 torn rotators. I shoot 4 times a week and can't wait. So give it your best shoot . Hang in there and work at it .it will workout .

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went shooting left-handed today and broke 21 on singles. No pain but it sure felt weird. The hardest part is putting my gun on my shoulder the same way each time. At least I can still shoot a bit until I heal up so I don't get nuttier than I already am. Thanks for the tips and I do feel like there is some promise to switching shoulders.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I shot competitive NSSA skeet lefthanded for one season before I went to a crossover stock. At the end of the year, I had broken a 98 in 12 gauge and a 95 in .410. It can be done, but you have to shoot a lot.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You might as well get the surgery done, rehab, and then shoot as per normal. You are not going to be able to lift a gun for 4-6 months anyway.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the right side of shooting. Keep both eyes open and gain confidence with each broken bird. Then after the surgery bet righties that you can beat them left handed then rinse and repeat to lefties shooting right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts