Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm headed to Colorado in Mid September for an archery antelope hunt. The rancher said he has some prairie dog towns and I asked if I could help reduce the population. He said sure - bring a gun. I have a Rem 700 ADL with a sporter weight barrel that I've owned for 40 years and thought I would try to load up some effective rounds.

Its been at least 30 years since I loaded anything for this gun. Is it possible the powder I have would still be good. It's been kept in an attached garage and never below freezing but subject to the heat and humidity of the summer months in Indiana.

I have some 52-55 gr pills that used to shoot pretty accurately. Anyone have a favorite load for this caliber ?
And, hoping to find some reloadable cases that someone would be willing to sell.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Powder if stored properly should be fine.
33 grains IMR3031 topped with a Sierra 55 gr pointed soft point was/is a good load for my 22-250's

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've went prairie dog shooting in S.D. for the past two summers. I use 34.0 gr. IMR 4064 with a 55 grain Hornady for 3500 fps in my Savage 12 BVSS.

How much brass are you hoping to get?

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up - we completed our trip to Briggsdale, CO. We stalked antelope for 5 days with our bows. Pretty much chased them all over 6,000 acres with no opportunities under 80 yards thus no shot. A rifle would have been a slam dunk in the first 2 hours.

We did take time to shoot at some prairie dogs. Anything out to 300 yards was pretty good to go. The rancher said the dogs have chewed up over 100 acres of pasture which translated into 50 fewer steers for him to market.

Already making plans to return next year . No fee for either the antelope hunt or the prairie dog shoot !

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Excellent,

I have been fortunate to go on several Prairie dog shoot,

Always a good time

DGH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts