Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TS has been a huge help to me, it’s where I learned to reload so this is where I always come for info. I had started a thread on TG’s a while back but now I have some specifics. I was told I want CB 6118 wads for these hulls. I have Winchester 209 and 209A’s. I have a good supply of International powder and I have a source for 6118 as well as 6100. I take it the 6100 is a 1 oz wad. So does anyone have any specific recipes for these components? It’s a long drive for me to get the wads but with the weather we’re having this weekend the boat and the fish will have to wait so I’m heading out first thing in the am. As always, thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I load Top Guns 100%. I use CB2118 and get a perfect load. I use Clay Dot, Clays, or 700X usually. Go to the powder manufacturer website and you can find any recipe for the fps you want to shoot. I try and keep my loads to around 1145 fps. I have a bunch of Federal Gold Medal Grands (plastic) and I just ran a trial run with CB6118 as they are just a hair taller than CB2118. They came out nice looking and I will try them out sometimes this weekend.
Wood Cuisine Waste Recreation Storage basket

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the 6100 and 6118 a copy of another wad? I didn’t see any listed on the International powder data sheet. Are TG’s the same as the GM?

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Is the 6100 and 6118 a copy of another wad? I didn’t see any listed on the International powder data sheet. Are TG’s the same as the GM?
There’s a few threads on TG vs GM data. I’ve been loading 9/8 oz. TG using Green Dot so I don’t have anything to add for you about Int’l. CB6100-12 & CB6118-12 (to my knowledge) are fashioned as WAA12SL & WAA12 in design, but for straight-wall hull. No taper. I doubt the data is common between the two and if it is, I haven’t seen anything published that confirms that. That said, I’ve got good patterns from Red-dot in 1 oz. and Green in 9/8 oz. - both around 1175FPS.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve searched some threads but can’t find it. I’m sure someone listed a recipe using these wads, federal 209A or 209, and international. I hope I can one. This is pretty much all I have to reload with. I tried WAA12’a but the stack height was off. I have plenty of them and WAA12AL’s.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The WAA wads work best in taper hulls like AA, STS and Nitro 27. Not saying you can't use them in Federals but they are a straight wall hull. Check manufacturer of powder website load data and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Pressures with these wads are consistently lower with all alliant powders, in comparison to 12s3 wads. I know what I'd do to start, I don't dare say it here. The reloading police would....

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to resurrect a thread, especially one on Top Guns. These things are making me crazy. I bought the 6118’s and can’t find a recipe for International and W209’s. So, I just ran a few with this, copied from the Hodgdon site.
PrimerWin. 209
WadWAA12SL
Grs.21
Pressure7,500 LUP
Vel. (ft/s)1,200
They still don’t seem right. There’s another one that calls for 22.4. I’ll try that one tomorrow. Sucks because I have 1000 W209’s and 3 lbs of International. That’ll last me a while but nothing goes together. Does it make sense that it calls for a 1 oz wad? This is a 1-1/8 recipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
24,658 Posts
Sorry to resurrect a thread, especially one on Top Guns. These things are making me crazy. I bought the 6118’s and can’t find a recipe for International and W209’s. So, I just ran a few with this, copied from the Hodgdon site.
PrimerWin. 209
WadWAA12SL
Grs.21
Pressure7,500 LUP
Vel. (ft/s)1,200
They still don’t seem right. There’s another one that calls for 22.4. I’ll try that one tomorrow. Sucks because I have 1000 W209’s and 3 lbs of International. That’ll last me a while but nothing goes together. Does it make sense that it calls for a 1 oz wad? This is a 1-1/8 recipe.
The one ounce wad is for stack height. It yields a good crimp where the 1 1/8 wad will give you a dish.

Reactions: Swampy16

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
It makes perfect sense to me. That 1 oz Win was is made for a tapered walled hull, which will have a smaller internal capacity than the straight walled TG hulls you are using. The crush section of that Win wad is probably on a par with a 1 1/8 oz straight walled hull wad, which, i assume, is what you used in those loads in the pic, the 6118. Those loads look good.

I'm trying to figure out what your concern is here. A load using a Fed primer, a 12S3 and 20.5 gr. of Int'l only produces 8800 psi. You are using a weaker Win primer, a half grain more powder, and a 6118 wad that makes lower pressures. I can't see anything here that might cause a pressure spike that might put you in some sort of pressure danger zone.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I’ll post another pic. They have a dish to them. Would it be ok to try these with the 6118? I believe I’ll get a taller stack height. Would this increase the pressures?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts