Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1ttp://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/SportingLife/1913/VOL_62_NO_10/SL6210019.PDF

Office of the Secretary

INTERSTATE ASSOCIATION

Pittsburgh, Pa., October 20, 1913
Dear Sir:—
The matters of increasing the standard distance for target shooting from 16 to 18 yards and of adopting a standard load for target shooting of 3 drams, or the equivalent, of powder and 1 1/8 oz. of shot, will be taken and passed upon by The Interstate Association at its coming annual meeting, on December 4th and 5th. In order that our Directors can be guided by the wishes of the majority, we are requesting an expression on the subjects from each trap shooter who attended a Registered Tournament during the season now closing. We would, therefore, be very much pleased to have you answer the questions outlined on the attached return postal card.
Thanking you in advance for your prompt attention, we remain,
Yours very truly,
THE INTERSTATE ASSOCIATION,
E. Reed Shaner, Secretary

Poll of Trap Shooters Who Attended Registered Tournaments in 1913

Are you in favor of changing the standard distance for target shooting from 16 yards to 18 yards? __________

Are you in favor of restricting loads for target shooting to 3 drams bulk, or the equivalent in dense powder, and 1 1/8 oz. of shot? __________

Are you in favor of making the regulation distance for throwing targets not less than 55 yards nor more than 65 yards? __________

Are you in favor of letting conditions remain as they are? __________

(Name) ___________________________________________________________________________
(Street Address) ____________________________________________________________________
(City and State) _____________________________________________________________________

(Please answer the above questions "Yes" or "No," sign and mail)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We're still at 16 yds., and it was not until April 1940 that the ATA disallowed 1 1/4 ounce loads so "as they are" must have been the winner.

·
Registered
33,648 Posts
1913?

Was Dr. LongShot the author is this too?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
"we are requesting an expression" don't ya love that way people used to talk?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
C'mon fellas, Give it a rest. If your that unhappy with trapshooting, take up a new pastime. The best will always win, the cream rises to the top. Just do your best and have fun. Your best competition is standing in your shoes. I really don't care if we shoot from the 16, 18, 24, or 30 yd line. Let's have some harmony and have some fun. This constant bickering is doing nothing but driving a wedge between our shooters. The handful that keep this crap going are becoming stale. Why do you think we are losing shooters, this was once a friendly game, true sportsmen showing their best. The advances in arms & ammo have proven their point. Things are different then what was presented in 1913. Now, all we do is bitch, ask for changes to be made, and then you'll bitch some more. If this ruffles your feathers, so be it. Next time our paths cross, I'll buy the first beer!

·
Registered
33,648 Posts
Drew does not post this stuff to stir things up, he posts topics discussed, events that happened and other historical things that have happened during the 100 year history of trap shooting. This post, he is showing us this same discussion was back in 1913 and we know is talked about today and I would suspect it will be discussed again and again for another 100 years.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
C'mon fellas, Give it a rest. If your that unhappy with trapshooting, take up a new pastime. The best will always win, the cream rises to the top. Just do your best and have fun. Your best competition is standing in your shoes. I really don't care if we shoot from the 16, 18, 24, or 30 yd line. Let's have some harmony and have some fun. This constant bickering is doing nothing but driving a wedge between our shooters. The handful that keep this crap going are becoming stale. Why do you think we are losing shooters, this was once a friendly game, true sportsmen showing their best. The advances in arms & ammo have proven their point. Things are different then what was presented in 1913. Now, all we do is bitch, ask for changes to be made, and then you'll bitch some more. If this ruffles your feathers, so be it. Next time our paths cross, I'll buy the first beer!
Normally I'd be in total agreement with you. However, as pointed out above, I think Drew was simply posting some history of the sport. Nothing wrong with reading about the past.

FYI: I'm not against changes to the sport be it harder or whatever. What I'm against, is the whiney asses who sit on their rear ends and point fingers and demand changes yet never get off their duffs to do anything to accomplish it. That wannabe forum is full of them. Bunch of whining losers.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
It's fun to read old documents and see just how far off some of them were. They used the best knowledge they had at the time, but things change(or do they).

Text

Bob Falfa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts