Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a lot of research as I contemplate a possible pistol purchase. The Glocks have really interested me and I'm looking at the Glock 32 in .357. I remember a couple of times as a kid shooting my dad's .357 python but using a .38 load. Is this something that can be done with the Glock 32? I hope this isn't a dumb question but I've been a shotgun shooter all my life just trying to educate myself regarding pistols. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
The Glock is .357 SIG caliber. That is sort of like a .40 S&W case with a neck that holds a .357 caliber bullet. It is nothing like a pythons .357 Magnum.

BTW the .357 SIG is a pretty neat round, kind of tricky to reload.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
You must be referring to the .357 Sig cartridge, a bottlenecked cartridge.

Light loads would only be a handloaded option I believe...

it's basically a +P 9mm +P.. a hot little number....

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Good answer Leo and in short, no there isn't a substitute round like the .357/.38 in revolvers. One thing you can do with the Glocks, is buy a different barrel and then you can shoot a different caliber through the same frame. I have a Glock model 22 in .40 S&W. I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for it and now I can shoot 9mm through the same gun. The Glock 22 also has a .357 Sig barrel available for it as well although I do not have one YET.

My Glock 22 with the Lone Wolf 9mm barrel

grntitan_2009_2503386.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
The ".357" that the 32 can be chambered in is 357SIG. Not .357 Magnum. They're completely different cartridges. Not interchangeable, and you definitely can't shoot .38s in a 357SIG.

However, you should be able to get different barrels and be able to shoot .40 S&W and 9mm out of the same pistol. For the 9mm you would probably need different magazines. The mags for the 357SIG/.40S&W would be the same.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kE6YRu40Mss?list=PL858978D90283EA35" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Premium Member
12,315 Posts
Actually, the 357 Sig was purpose built to replicate the ballistics of the 357 magnum, albeit the round is 0.355" rather than 0.357."

It was built to give the same performance with a 125 grain bullet, which was the best performing round in the 357 magnum.

To answer mikekp's question - a 40 S & W barrel will drop right in - uses same mags, etc. so you end up with a two for one deal.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I knew I would get some great information. Lots of knowledge on this site and I appreciate it. Mike.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
The SIG round is a lot faster than 9X19 +P+. The 40 makes a sensible "practice round". The best of both worlds.

I would get the gun in SIG caliber, and get a lead bullet friendly barrel for the 40. You are not likely to shoot lead bullets in the Rocket.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Forget the dern 40 or 357 sig.

Go buy a glock 19 or 26. If then you're still somehow convinced that you need that extra minuscule fraction more, go get a Sig 250. But don't sell the glock, cuz you'll be wanting it.

I just saved you hundreds of dollars. Really.

:)

·
Sky Buster
4,036 Posts
The .357 Sig caliber is extremely loud with substantial
recoil. It is also VERY expensive. Many dealers don't
even stock .357 Sig ammo. Try one before you spend your mony.

·
Premium Member
12,315 Posts
Recoil...

Actually, it is one of the mildest recoiling rounds I shoot.

Don't think it is any louder than any full power hang gun either - just MHO

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Buy a Glock 27 in .40 caliber and a .357sig barrel for it;the same magazine works for both calibers. The Secret Service uses the .357sig caliber-you can't go wrong and you get 2 guns for the price of one plus one barrel.

·
Premium Member
12,315 Posts
Same can be said of the SIG 226, 228, 229, 239, 250 - can be had in 40 S & W, 357 SIG, some in 9mm

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hey Matt.. do you find it hard to shoot your 22 with that screw driver stuck in beside your finger?? LOL

PS. Are all your tools pink??

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Alright now Jerry. Actually that screwdriver is an old Craftsman and the handle is red. Bad lighting. I bought that Glock with that screwdriver stuck in there. I didn't know I could remove it to shoot it. I bet it will be a whole lot easier to operate that way.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I just compared my S&W M66 .357, 2.5" barrel with my Glock 21 .45ACP. There is a wopping 2 ounce difference in weight, loaded, and about an inch difference in length. But, here's the *real* difference: to shoot the Glock 21 effectively, I have to have a good 2-hand hold. With the S&W M66, I can hit center mass quickly with either hand. I love both, and each has its place, but you need to factor in the ergonomics and intended use when deciding. -Ed

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Something else to think about, the last two ammo shortages we've had, .40 cal. was the last thing left on the shelf, and the first thing to come back. At least around here. Walmart sells the WWB 40 a few dollars more than the 9mm and less than the .380...Go figure that one. I have not seen any .357 Sig at local gun shops for a year. Walmart had 13 boxes of the 100 round .40 cal. WWB on the shelf yesterday.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
The 357 Sig is a great cartridge. It comes close to the 125 grain 357 Magnum round in an auto. One nice advantage is the bottle neck shape of the 357 Sig. It's usually a very reliable cartridge for feeding. It's a feature inherent in the bottleneck configuration. My Sig P229 sends a 125 grain slug out at around 1350 fps with some factory ammo. Close to what my 4" S&W or Ruger does with similar bullets. That's not bad in an auto. The recoil and muzzle blast is usually less than what you experience with the revolvers. Ammo is available and it's easy enough to reload. You might have to look around for ammo, but there is a bunch out there. I have Sigs, Glocks, and others chambered for the .357 Sig. For a 9mm slug, it sends them out at a good velocity. It even makes the 147 grain jhp useful as an expanding projectile. The only caveat is trying to load a long profile bullet in the short neck. Shorter profile bullets seems to work the best.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I believe that the .357 Sig is an excellent cartridge. Basically a nine millimeter magnum that delivers magnum performance out of a semi auto and personally, I do not think that recoil is exceptionally heavy. It is a ballistic twin to a .357 Magnum revolver cartridge when using 125 grain bullets.

I understand that you can substitute .357 and .40 barrels because the .357 is essentially a .40 "necked down" to a .357. As such they have the same base and would use the same extractor. Wouldn't the nine millimeter need a smaller extractor for it to work properly? I ask because I have never heard of interchanging nine millimeter barrels with the .40 and .357. Thanks,
Larry

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Larry,

I've not swapped a 9mm barrel into a .40S&W, but others have, apparently without problems. See the link above as an example.

Some people use the .40 mags and just load 9mm in them. I wouldn't do that for a carry gun, but at the range it should be OK.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts