Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First this isn't meant to be a debate of what choke to use, rather it is about comparisons of brands and types.

So I was looking at buying some additional chokes and looking at the Browning website makes me wonder if all of the Invector plus variations are interchangeable?
My gun came with 3 of their Invector plus Midas chokes. I was googling and I saw on other sites there are claims that each style maybe interchangeable but they all have different constriction specs..even thought they carry the same Full, IMod, Mod etc designations.
Has anyone done any comparisons or does it make much difference?

Previously I have just screwed in a choke based on what was writtin on it or the number of notches it has.
I'm not trying to make it difficult or reinvent the wheel, just curious why so many types and IF there really are so many differences. Or if it is just a plot to charge more money

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
The only real way to compare Choke tubes is to buy yourself a Bore gauge. Get the actual Bore of the barrel itself. Don't depend on what the Bore is by the advertisements and specs from manuals or advertising.
Read the actual Bore diameter with a Bore gauge. Then read the Bore of your choke at its tightest point.
Subtract the difference.
There you find the true constriction of any choke or choke tube made.
In my personal opinion don't rely solely on what is marked on any Choke tube.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
All Invector Plus chokes are interchangeable. Unless a choke is mismarked, as a factory flaw, the markings and standard understanding of what the constriction should be, are within a couple thousandths of each other. If is says IC, then it will be around .010, and so on. Chokes will perform differently with different shotgun shells, but a skeet choke will not pattern like a Full choke, no matter what shell you use. I have a bore gauge, and it backs up what I just told you, from the hundreds of chokes I have measured.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I ve seen factory chokes (Rem) both marked Mod and when I measured them one was within a .001-.002 of a different IC choke!! I run my dial calipers on all my chokes and it s an interesting exercise. Granted I don't have a bore mike for the internal bore dimension but doing the chokes does give you an idea of the differences between said chokes. That said the aftermarket chokes seem much more consistent with their advertised constriction.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Unless a choke is mismarked, as a factory flaw, the markings and standard understanding of what the constriction should be, are within a couple thousandths of each other. If
Like Slickhead said "a bore gauge is the shooters best friend" And why doesn't Browning mark their chokes as factory flaws? When they are , as you said, can be a couple of thousands off ? -- A Skeet choke a couple thousand over and a imp. cylinder choke a couple thousands under is the same choke, and I just paid $100 for them? You are %100 right on after market chokes are a lot better than Brownings chokes!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just bought a 725 sporting and all the chokes are miss marked. They are all .010 less than marked.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a bore gauge to check any with so I have to accept them as they are...for now.
When I was researching last night I saw a claim that the plain Invector plus chokes were a little looser tolerance than their Midas grade. But then when I was on the Browning site I discovered there are also Diana grade and Diamond grade and all are Invector Plus.

So that brings me back to what do these various "Grades" mean? Or are they just a little fancier looking than plain? How do they stack up compared to Briley or Carlson as examples? Is one brand or another more known for being better machined to a tighter tolerance?
I'd like to have mine measured for reference but that can wait. I just want to make sure if I buy a IMod or LMod I am getting something between F & M lol abd if I buy a Skeet it isn't IC.
Is there a chart of what constrictions should be?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Chokes change patterns by inches, and you usually miss by feet. LM is between IC and Mod. IM is between Mod and Full. Just shoot what you have for now, until the learning process moves along. Browning chokes just add more bling, so they entice you into buying new ones. Kind of like fishing lures. They appeal more to the fisherman, than the fish.

Google shotgun choke constriction chart, choose images, and go to town.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
The factory Browning DS chokes are a POS.
The only one that is to being what is considered close is the Full choke tube
And I'm not sure about that
Totally Junk

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
DS chokes are not Invector Plus, and Browning constricts their chokes to provide the pattern density wanted at a certain yardage, rather than an arbitrary constriction number, or at least that is what they advertise, as the reason for different constrictions. Best thing to do is go to the patterning board, and shoot the ammo you want to use, at the yardage you want to hit the target, and see how it looks. (Except for a 410. Never pattern a 410. :) )

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
I don't have a bore gauge to check any with so I have to accept them as they are...for now.
When I was researching last night I saw a claim that the plain Invector plus chokes were a little looser tolerance than their Midas grade. But then when I was on the Browning site I discovered there are also Diana grade and Diamond grade and all are Invector Plus.

So that brings me back to what do these various "Grades" mean? Or are they just a little fancier looking than plain? How do they stack up compared to Briley or Carlson as examples? Is one brand or another more known for being better machined to a tighter tolerance?
I'd like to have mine measured for reference but that can wait. I just want to make sure if I buy a IMod or LMod I am getting something between F & M lol abd if I buy a Skeet it isn't IC.
Is there a chart of what constrictions should be?
If I we're going to buy additional chokes, you'll get what a choke is designated to be with either Briley or Carlson's as a rule.

·
Registered
197 Posts
This was determined with a bore gauge?
So, the IC choke was zero constriction?
I measured with a dial caliper
SK- .740
IC-.735
M-.730
IM- .722
F -.700
So as said in Slickheads post the only one marked correctly is the full actually the others are from .005 to.010 off.
Bore dia. is supposed to be .740

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are no SAAMI industry standards for choke constrictions. SAAMI does have industry standards for bore diameters though, 12-gauge bore ID is .725"+.020", so any 12ga from .725" to .745" is within their standard for a 12-gauge.

Different manufacturers have different IDs for choke depending on what they think is best for performance. The industry standards are performance based, i.e., … IC/~50%, Mod./~60%, full/~70%, etc.... at 40 yards, not constriction based.

Here are my 12-gauge Browning factory flush Invector-plus choke constrictions and bore ID measured from a bore gauge.
12 GAUGE
BROWNING FACTORY CHOKES
INVECTOR-PLUS FLUSH CHOKES (BORE .741”)
SK / .000
IC / .004"
M / .012"
IM / .018"
F / .031

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Stick with your extended Midas grade chokes. They are very good. There are still a few of them left at a handful of dealers. Buy what you need to complete your set and forgetabout buying any other brand. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I measured with a dial caliper
SK- .740
IC-.735
M-.730
IM- .722
F -.700
So as said in Slickheads post the only one marked correctly is the full actually the others are from .005 to.010 off.
Bore dia. is supposed to be .740
Are those flush or extended? I measured the extended chokes that I got with my 725 and they were all the standard constrictions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Are those flush or extended? I measured the extended chokes that I got with my 725 and they were all the standard constrictions.
extended

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Please understand that bores differ.
Personally I have seen the Browning bores that measure.737 and I have seen some that measure.742 when in the past has advertised .740 or .745 bores.
If you do the math this alone can be a total difference in Choke markings that would be totally incorrect.
My advice to anyone that wants to be savy as well as knowledgeable is never ever go by what is stamped on the Choke tube it's but learn the the restriction numbers and know readily what Choke these demensions fall in.

From experience I have found that Perazzi, Krieghoff, Seitz, and Beretta bores will be just about dead on in what they advertise they are or by their stamped barrel markings.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts