Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the article in trapshooting USA where a PITA shooter blew a couple of toes off. Way too may mistakes made leading up to it. Evidently he was experiencing a lot of trouble with his gun (release trigger). It appears ,after repeated misfires, he would place his "loaded" gun on his toes before opening it. He did this until "BOOM," when he lost a couple of Orthotic appendages! I do feel sorry for the guy but, HEY! It just amazes that somebody places a loaded, CLOSED shotgun on their feet! :15:

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
And with a "release" trigger he was not holding??

Sad but thank god it was just some of his toes and not someone's life

DGH

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Messing with a loaded gun, a release trigger is pretty much the same as a pull trigger. Bump it and the gun goes off.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
<<Sarcasm font on>>But...that can't happen.<<sarcasm font off>>

Which is why I use one of those goofy magnetic gun rests.

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Years ago, at the Boxhorn gun club in Muskego Wisconsin a guy shooting trap was wearing big clumsy Milkman gloves to shoot as it was cold during the winter.
The trap boy put the flag up while they were shooting as their was a problem with the machine. Instead of taking the shell out of his gun he placed the loaded gun on top of his leather boot.

A few minutes went by and the trap boy put the flag down as they were now ready to shoot. The shooter dragged his clumsy glove along side the trigger and the gun went off shooting off three of his toes. He hobbled inside the club house and they called an ambulance.

One strange thing was that the heat cauterized the wound and due to the cold you could not see any blood dripping. One important note, the owners son noticed this guy placing his gun on his foot while wearing these big gloves previously and suggested he not do this as the gun could go off.

You could say, he finally learned his lesson.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Packman 13,
Glad to hear he is back shooting.
Was a costly mistake and he learned from it and hopefully so will others that read this thread.
I also put my gun on my toe but never with the action closed.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Way, way back, when I got my first bb gun (probably 1954), I made a mistake of accidently pointing it at somebody. My dad saw that and I didn't see the gun for a month. I thought I would die before I got gun privileges back. It left a permanent impact on me.

Of course, later I shot one of my grandmother's chicken and REALLY caught hell for that.

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
I do not find the security in someone placing a loaded gun on a magnetic pad verses their foot. If the gun goes off while muzzle is but a 1/2" above concrete, someone's going to most likely be hurt!
The difference is "direct hit" versus "collateral damage."

In my mind, that's a huge difference.

A LOT of the energy from the blast will be absorbed by the direct hit into the concrete, and then you are left with ricochets.

Not saying nobody will be hurt, but the damage will be substantially less than a direct hit on the top of the foot.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
This is NOT intended to be funny or a joke. ANY firearms accident is a concern to all shooters - capitalization for emphasis. This is another example of Watters'World! People not being sensitive or aware of the terrible consequences of their actions! Regards, Ed

1 - 20 of 110 Posts