Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I posted last week about my friend looking for a value for his 101 Diamond top-single. Last night he brought it out to winter league and we shot a round with it. Problem we ran into was the action doesn't want to open easily after taking a shot. Not every round, but 1/3 to 1/2 the time, you have to force the action open. A couple of times he had to push the action down over his knee. When the gun is empty it does not do this, and it does not do it with a snap cap. It did do it a couple of times with a spent round after pulling the trigger.

It does not feel like anything mechanical is holding it closed...it feels more like it's sticking.

other notes...
*Beautiful gun!
*Really front heavy, but it feels good.
*Do these guns cock with the lever? You can feel something cock or click when you open the lever...sort of like a KX5 or KS5.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Check to see if the firing pin is sticking in the fired primer, if there is a scratch mark on the bottom of the hull from the primer to the rim, that's the problem. I believe it cocks when opened not from the lever.

Pat

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those 101's are too light for target work.

Recoil causes fatigue. They're a good game gun.

Browning, Miroku. Beretta. CG. Perazzi. Krieghoff.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi All.
I posted last week about my friend looking for a value for his 101 Diamond top-single. Last night he brought it out to winter league and we shot a round with it. Problem we ran into was the action doesn't want to open easily after taking a shot. Not every round, but 1/3 to 1/2 the time, you have to force the action open. A couple of times he had to push the action down over his knee. When the gun is empty it does not do this, and it does not do it with a snap cap. It did do it a couple of times with a spent round after pulling the trigger.

It does not feel like anything mechanical is holding it closed...it feels more like it's sticking.

other notes...
*Beautiful gun!
*Really front heavy, but it feels good.
*Do these guns cock with the lever? You can feel something cock or click when you open the lever...sort of like a KX5 or KS5.

Thanks for any input!
I bet the sticking is being caused by the ammo you’re using in that it expands too much without contracting again after the shot. Apparently, certain steel alloys tend to have this problem in certain guns.

Try different ammo.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Might be ammo. My Browning acts exactly as you described if I shoot Winchester Super Target & Browning Target ammo. Federals are no problem.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
a swollen steel based hull may make it difficult to extract or eject but have no effect on the gun opening, my bet is the firing pin sticking. Question...is it hard to open if you load the gun, then open again without firing? If that is happening it may not be the firing pin either.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I shoot gun clubs and federal top guns out of my Diamond grade. Firing pin dragging will cause this problem. Clean and oil the gun. Clean out firing pin pockets and firing pin springs so they retract as soon as you push top lever to open. Needs a little maintenance and it will be running and grinding targets out soon.

Jason in PA

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Depending on how the gun raises the shells (I don't remember on a 101) but it is probably the shells. Try shooting something with a brass base like Winchester AA or Remington STS. Or even try Remington Gun Clubs or Federal Top guns or Estates (both are steel but normally don't cause issues like a lot of other steel based shells do). Your gun is trying to push the shell out of the chamber and cock the hammer as it is being opened. IF it still does the same thing using AAs or STS's then it might be the firing pin or something with the cocking rod dragging but if it were the cocking rod it should have the problem even if the chamber was empty and you snapped the trigger and then tried to open it.

I shoot a Nikko which was made by the same factory as the 101 and if I shoot some crap like Winchester Super Targets, Browning shells, or some higher steel like a Fiocchi or the new Federal Grands, it is hard to open the gun (or Rio's).

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
a swollen steel based hull may make it difficult to extract or eject but have no effect on the gun opening, my bet is the firing pin sticking. Question...is it hard to open if you load the gun, then open again without firing? If that is happening it may not be the firing pin either.
I have been rethinking my reply {above} to your question. If your hull has expanded after firing ,it could make the ejector/extractor stick causing difficulty opening of the gun. Next time this occurs, remove the spent hull and try reloading in the chamber, it should drop in like a new shell, if it is difficult, it is the ammo....Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts