Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start an Annies round for the last shots of the night at our club. Several questions about setup and execution. We use two year old full wobble Pat Traps. Speed is set by the crank handle.

If the ATA limit stakes are at approximately 50 yards and you want to shoot out to say eighty yards, how high fast do you need to throw the target. How many turns should we add.

Do you lock the trap on straight away or limit the field for left to right angles. I can't imagine using the width of the field.

Our normal target landing area is about sixty yards deep. There is an open field with beans or corn for another 300 yards past that. How far can you throw a target?

We can back up to the 40 yard line before we hit the clubhouse but could shoot from the parking lot if needed. We would have to shoot off of house number two. Is the forty far enough.

We do not have a shot size restriction. There is 400 yards of fallout space.

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Start with trap set as normal. Back up to 27. Pull a bird as normal and if 1st shooter misses, 2nd shoots and so on....don't change trap, at least I have never shot an Annie with a tweaked thrower.....well not at a club

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Start at 27 yards. That thins the herd a little, then if everybody is hitting on the first shot, move back a couple yards. That will thin more. Depending on how many shooters, 40 yards should be enough yardage to get down to the last 3 or 4, then move to one side or the other. That generally gets it down to the last couple pretty quick. Full width of the field will be fair to all shooters, and not knowing your club and shooters, I believe regular speed should be enough. YMMV.
Most shooters aren't used to shooting off somebody else's timing, or having to hit on their shot, so there's a little extra pressure they aren't used to. It's amazing how many excellent shooters can't seem to hit a second or third shot in an Annie, even though they have a long yardage average in the mid-high 90s.
If the last two are crushing everything, move WAY over to the next trap, but shorten the yardage to about the 22-23 yard line. That will decide who is the best shot pretty quick.
I would also keep the shells to legal trap loads, just to keep a level playing field for those shooters who don't reload.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
We give it a steep angle and a couple extra cranks to throw it high and fast to about 60 yards. Everyone lines up at the 30 yard line. You can knock out 5 to 6 shooters this way depending on how fast they shoot. If you keep the targets ATA standard it will take longer . This way you can have several custer's in one night. With no limit on shot size and distance you have lot's of options. We play 2 buck chuck. 1 dollar to the club and 1 dollar to the shooter but you can do whatever you want, just make sure everyone is aware of the rules. I have seen plenty of guy's win with factory loads so the guy's with the buffer and hot loads don't run away with the pot to often.If your getting into this then you should be aware of all your options and if you don't reload buy some high base #6 for the long shot. Black powder loads, Tracers everything goes. When it get's down to the last 3 or 4 and they are breaking targets easy move them down to the next trap and continue till it's over.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Start on the 27 yards. but you could shoot what we call a pond. That's if the shooter hit the bird and then the next shooter has the option to shoot a piece and if piece hit they don't have to shoot at the next bird. Are you going to shoot to the ground. We just shoot 4 to 5 shooting at the bird, then through another bird. One time through then the last three shooters from the 5th post goes to the 1st station. When you go through two turns move back 2 yards and so on. Get down to 5 shooters the first shooter can pick from what angle he/she want to shoot from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.