Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was helping my sister and brother in law do some plumbing work in their basement and I noticed some old shotgun shell boxes from where I was standing and started asking my BIL about what they were.

Turns out, an older friend of my BIl gave him almost 20 boxes of these and a bunch of rifle ammo "to get it out of his way". He gave me about 4 boxes, some in perfect shape, and this box not so much and with some mixed shells inside. These seem to be an original "throw away" shell as it doesn't seem you can reload them to me. I am anxious to try a couple and see what they are like. I saved the nice boxes for my collection and have this partial box to show some fellas at the club and maybe shoot a few.

I am guessing by the "bomb type crimp" and "space age" references these were out in the 1960's? Not much info online that I was able to come across. Any value to them or just another shell lost in time and still worth the same couple bucks as back then?

Maybe some of the old timers here have some info or remember these shells and how they shot.
herters (1).jpg
herters (2).jpg
herters (3).jpg
herters (4).jpg
herters (5).jpg
herters (6).jpg

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Yes, I still have some.
They were reloadable. Herter's sold the end caps separately and you just push them in.
They would snap into place.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Never had any of those shells but I do have some of those snap on caps/crimps. No idea why I bought them but I remember when & where I did, 30 years ago.
I guess you just had to be there but makes no sense now?

·
Registered
32,272 Posts
Yes, I still have some.
They were reloadable. Herter's sold the end caps separately and you just push them in.
They would snap into place.

I have often wondered why such a concept was not marketed. Guess I got my answer. Already done. Looks like you could reload without having to have a press.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You might want to wait a little bit before shooting them since they are no longer made. There may be collectible.

Jason

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I have some of the clear blue Herters hulls as well as the cover discs. Never been loaded.
C1099819-E116-426C-B238-A4DE09E2EE2F.jpeg

45557C8B-7F0F-4215-B917-101276A716D6.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
I shot fifteen out of a box of Eclipse shells. Every one of them shot in half, separating near the wad placement. I assume the front of the shell went out the barrel with the shot, wad and the front of the hull all intact. I missed all fifteen targets and I surmised that what came out was like a shotgun slug.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Interesting shells in post # 1 ,but they are from a time before I started shooting . At an auction I got some older 20 Ga Sears shells , I assume they were made by Federall . Price on the Box is $ 2.09 and I think maybe from the early sixtees . I shot a few & they kick . At the bottom of the she shell is brown paper coiled up and the plastic is very hard

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Anyone remember these?

They were 12G paper cased shells filled with nine "SG" lead pellets loaded by Eley Kynoch (ICI) in 1940............for the War Department and issued to "The Home Guard" to be used against German paratroopers at the time when an invasion of the UK was thought to be imminent.

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
Has been a very long time since I have seen any. I have shot both Herter's and Activ. I may still have a couple Activ shells somewhere ---- haven't seen a Herter's in I can't remember when.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I grew up near a Herter's store. Great shooting shells. Slick as could be thru the reloader with the hard plastic. Even though it had an extra component to buy these where from a time that the "Other" shell was paper. No base wad to shoot loose .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts