Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December of 2009 an English Pointer was near his end when word got out about his predicament In a Prescott shelter. Lucky for Max that my friend Tom Strunk made the necessary arrangments to adopt this dandy dog. I've always said ol Max won dogdoms lottery that day!! Below is my last post to that thread in Dec. 09 and a current picture of Max in the quail hunting country with Tom and company!!

Gene Hapney

hapmectweaks_2008_030377.jpg

Subject: Purebred English Pointer free in Prescott Az
Email:
Date: Fri, Jan 15, 2010 - 10:55 AM ET
Website Address:

Max was rescued and given a second chance at life, matter of fact, he won the lottery when my friend found out his dire predicament!

It certainly would be interesting to know his history? I'd guess he's been hungry a lot and mistreated with a broom somewhere along the line? I watched him bonding with Tom and the care given him at the start. How to change Max's mind about women and brooms is gonna be a challenge but I think it can be accomplished. He must be reprogrammed not to associate long hair and a dress with abuse and hopefully for Max's sake, Tom and Bill can accomplish that. It won't be for a lack of trying thats for sure!!

Gene Hapney

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Scott, here ya go my friend!

HAP

Tom with his brood of good bird dogs and my lil ham wanting in the pic too!!

hapmectweaks_2008_030378.jpg

hapmectweaks_2008_030379.jpg

Another hunting buddy of mine, Mike Bass holding the ham and a bird.

hapmectweaks_2008_030380.jpg

Your's truly in Mearns country with ham inc.
hapmectweaks_2008_030381.jpg

Last one is Gidget Bardo Hapney pointing a covey of Mearns in tall grass!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hap, thank you, I run a pointing dog also, German Wirehair, seeing that Gidget on point just gets my heart a thumpin, pointing dogs are sure something. Looks like a fun bunch of men and dogs to hunt with, lucky Hap. Scott

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If you want a description of a happy dog, just check out those pups hanging out on the porch. What a great picture!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
I don't think Annie's going to get along well with those green pointy shrubs Hap. I guess I'd better look for Mearns in the high country;)

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Rick, I am surprised they have not invited us down as they know we like warm weather and hunting birds. You would do very well in flip flops and shorts in that low country....watch your step. Both Tom and Gene know they are welcome to hunt ****** up here in Mondamtana anytime. Scott

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Ric in Mt. -- my thoughts exactly. That's why I recently adopted a German Shorthair female to add to my brood. She's about 6 months old now. She's going to be a good one.

The Quail population has been very poor this year where I hunt, maybe next year. Get your Bermuda shorts and flip flops ready for hopefully a better season next year. I love hunting those Huns in Montana (hint, hint).

Gene old friend, thanks for posting the pictures. I love my French Brittany's, German Shorthair's, Max the pointer, and our watchdog, Gabe the German Shepherd.

Merry Christmas to all ---

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Tom, the huns are way more fun than pheasants. Wish I still had access to my old stompin grounds. The price we pay for a new today.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Tom,
I am a grain elevator manager, I deal with farmers, a.k.a. access. The best Hun hunting we have is 15 to 30 east of us. They had a couple tough years, by were way up this year. Opportunity to hunt them next year is a phone call away. We have a large home with lots of room. Scott

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Beautiful dog my friend. Looks like some nice hunt'n there too. Sure hope I get to see you and Tom this August. This last years Grand was not the same without visiting with you Hap. Was the first time in quite a few years we didn't get to visit.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Thanks for picking up the dog and giving him a second chance. I wonder if Cesar Milan would take on the re-hab of the dog to accept a woman and no longer fear brooms? Let's start a movement.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're welcome my friend!!

Max is a big ol loving bird dog and loves women too, NOW!! I have a feeling that Max was mis-treated as a young pup by a prior owner and merely ran away!! He was nothing but skin and bones when I took him to Toms!! He wasn't mean at all, he was just hungry as all hell, like starving!! Not anymore though!

Thanks Matt, if I get my way come August, Tom and I will see all of you in Sparta! Tom's new wife is making a fantastic shooter too!! She'll be there with bells a ringin, she's hooked big time!!

Due to the rainfall at proper times of the year, here in southern AZ we have huntable populations this year! We won't shoot into a covey unless it has ample birds to spare! Coveys of only 5 to 6 birds we leave alone.

Scott, you and Rick are welcome to come hunt with us at anytime my friend!! I'll carry the loads for any claim jumpers encountered near the border!

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and you shoot well too!

Gene Hapney

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
New bride?? Well congratulations Tom. That's great news and you got her shooting too. That is even better until she gets ahold of your favorite smokepole and deems it hers from then on. LOL

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Matt, it's the other way round with those two!! She is the one always asking to go shooting, even if it's raining!!!! She's gonna be tough as nails afore long, wait n see!!

HAP

1 - 20 of 29 Posts