Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming (please feel free to correct), the aging and shrinking pool of trapshooters...

Is this going to affect gun value negatively? I.e. with a shrinking pool of buyers, wouldn't that cause a disproportionate amount of guns to buyers, thereby creating declining pricing?

I think of this as I consider my purchases. Am I off base or too overly concerned, or does this look like the eventual reality?

Regards,

Chip

·
5,251 Posts
There will always be new shooters... and the better firearms will always hold their value to a degree... make your purchasing decision on what you want today... dont worry about the maybe tomorrow...

Jay

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you buy a car do you consider what it'll be worth in 5-10 years. No, you buy it for the enjoyment you receive driving it. Same with shooting. Besides, I'd be willing to bet any gun you purchase today regardless of supply/demand will be worth considerable more than any other "materialist" item you may purchase.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
A gun is a tool.

It's not an investment any more than a hammer is and anyone that thinks otherwise is IMHO misguided.

A gun is not a piece of jewelry or fine china. It's purpose is to be used at least occasionally.

When tools get used they will show signs of it. Get used to the idea.

You can never never have too many tools.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Slayer, If you think guns depreciate...try to sell an old piece of jewelry or china! If you get 30% of retail you have done well. Metals markets not withstanding, jewelry sucks as an investment.

Bob

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
As we say in the car business, there is always an ass for every seat. There is always a buyer for every firearm.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Bob you may have missed the point that I was trying to make.

I think it's a shame to buy a fine firearm and then not use it as it was intended.

To me that's like buying a good hunting dog and never letting it out of the pen.

If you want a good investment try real estate or stocks. Guns are there for our use and enjoyment.
Bill

·
Registered
209 Posts
Trap guns tend not to appreciate as much as field guns. There is nothing less popular than last years competition gun, and because trap shooting is not growing in popularity, but the number of trap guns increases each year because some new guns are sold, used gun values do not increase as much as might be. The same is true (maybe more true) of used skeet guns. Ever try to sell a nice old competition skeet gun with 26" barrels?
Used trap guns are not very adaptable to other uses, although some are being converted to sporting clays where straight stocks, high ribs and weight forward balance has become more popular. However the demand is limited compared to the number of guns available.
There are what seem like great buys out there for old Model 12 trap guns, Browning Superposed Broadway rib guns, and similar guns. However they are very difficult to sell at prices approaching similar field guns. In a few years the trap guns currently in vogue are likely to meet a similar fate.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Bottom line here is if you get a shotgun for a good deal, you will likely be able to get your money back on it. I have never bought a trapgun that I have lost any money on. In fact some I have made money on. If you buy a nice used one, you are already taken generally 15-30% off the retail cost which is the depreciation. Keep good care of it and your will likely see at least a 90% return on what you paid.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quite the the opposite of what I see in trapgun sales marsingbob !!! But then, I may not have a firm grip on this.......merlyn

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Boy, my learning of life are back negative ward again by what is being said on some posts!

I do think guns can be a good investment but never by new, never impulse buy and either look at a strong trend or lack of production.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
There are still plenty of old guys with lots of money to piss away, and that will likely continue for at least another 11-13 years.

If you want a "fancy" gun and can learn to love a used Blaser or CG, you can get a big discount. There's always people trying to dump them. Just make sure you know the gun's history so you don't take on one of the lemons, and avoid early F3s like the plague. Also don't delude yourself into thinking they're high-end P or K type shotguns or they're going to be as reliable on average as a Browning or Beretta. Their O/U barrels are not regulated as consistently as B-guns either, so pattern carefully before you buy.

Cynergy trap guns can be a bargain too, if you can tolerate the look. Just don't overpay, because the resale is horrible. Beware of the triggers on the early ones.

Finally, don't forget that Leo could outshoot anyone on this forum with his old 1100. The point is that "fancy" and adjustability are nice, but you still have to point the gun right. Also consider that if you shoot much trap the price of almost any shotgun will soon be dwarfed by the cost of shells, targets, fees and travel.

-Gary

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Oh, yeah. With more and more trap guns being made and less and less folks shooting trap - well, sure; the price is going up. Makes perfect sense....

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
Over the years, I have seen a good many trapshooters pass on. And that's not just in the 60 plus bracket, either.

Over half of their guns (the ones that they shot regularly, and that sort of identified them)have not come back to be shot by others at our club. I know a lot of them are just kept for sentimental reasons. Some may go to out of area residents.

I just know I never see them again. A couple times I saw descendants come and shoot "Dad's trap gun" and then I never see that one again. (couldn't miss a 4E with a 30 inch barrel).

Maybe they go to trap gun heaven.

HM

·
Registered
441 Posts
Over the years have bought and sold a few trap guns but still shooting the
Perazzi TM1 racing stripe I bought new in 1979.
If U are buying a gun to shoot think should consider - will it break more
targets than what I am shooting and what is the pride of ownership worth.
If U buy a gun to resale got to remember that if it is a bargain for U it
it was probably a loss to the seller and could be a loss to U.
Merlyn one of the few gun traders I know who became wealthy trading
guns!!

Doyal

·
Registered
598 Posts
If demand for trap guns drops, once can expect that production will then drop as well. The number of trap guns available, relative to demand, will level out, as market forces come to bear. If there is a revival of interest (as was the case with the Harley-Davidson motorcycle "boom", for example), prices will rise for a bit until production catches up, and then prices will level once again.

It would seem these market forces should be of little impact or concern to someone who simply wants to shoot trap.

Most knowledgeable people understand that the vast majority of guns are not really good investments (regardless of what one says to one's self or one's spouse). Granted, (as was stated earlier), guns tend to retain their value better than most "toys", but that is about the extent of it.

bluedsteel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts