Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was with somebody recently and another person said to them "I heard you're a pretty good shooter."
His reply was "well, I am about average". So I got to thinking just what is an "average" ATA shooter.

So I embarked on a data gathering exercise. I looked up all shooters from the Shooter Information Center that registered targets in 2019 (actually, some software that I wrote looked up the data). I didn't use 2020 since that target year was not typical due to COVID.

This was really just an exercise to satisfy my own curiosity and that's about it. I'm not trying to make any particular point with the results. Also, this information may be in the Average Book they publish, I don't know. NOTE: Due to the way the shooter info center returns data, my algorithm may have missed a shooter here or there, but not many. The sample size is good.

Here's what I found..

In 2019:

32,080 shooters registered singles targets
The Median singles average was 88.36%
The Average of the Averages was: 84.99%

14,967 shooters registered 500 OR MORE singles targets
The Median singles average was 91.24%
The Average of the Averages was: 89.19%

Using the 6 class system, the averages breakdown as so:

All Shooters registering singles targets (32,080 total):
Class# of Shooters% of Total
98% and overAAA520 2
96.25% and under 98%AA1,788 6
94.75% and under 96.25%A2,567 8
93% and under 94.75%B3,538 11
90% and under 93%C5,446 17
under 90%D18,221 57

All Shooters registering 500 or more singles targets (14,967 total):
Class# of Shooters% of Total
98% and overAAA2942
96.25% and under 98%AA1,3039
94.75% and under 96.25%A1,75012
93% and under 94.75%B2,23515
90% and under 93%C3,17321
under 90%D6,21242

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Cool information. Thanks for posting.

I guess I'm above average after all...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Interesting data, but have to ask what is the value of averaging averages?

I'm asking an honest question here, but am reminded that 87.63% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
what is the value of averaging averages?
The only other way to do it would be to do a weighted average, but then you'd need to know (for each category) every shooter's average, and how many targets they shot that year.

An average of averages is probably as meaningful as you need it to be.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Reactions: idustem

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting data, but have to ask what is the value of averaging averages?

I'm asking an honest question here, but am reminded that 87.63% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;-)
I would agree, probably not too useful. The median number is more interesting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think I just read on here the other day where some one did the handicaps. Wasn't it like 27 yarders average 90 percent. they had the number figured up closer too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wouldn't averaging only ATA shooters skew it higher? Bums like me that don't shoot in a league, but not ATA, Lprobably bring it down.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
To note, roughly half of the shooters registered less than 500 targets / year. That is surprising; 500 Singles does not seem like a lot to me. Wondering how many of these are “active” shooters. Your definition of active would be your own measure - 1000/year, 2000/year.

The skewedness of the Median/Mean, shows that most folks are above the average and pull the distribution up.

Thank you, kmag, for doing this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wouldn't averaging only ATA shooters skew it higher? Bums like me that don't shoot in a league, but not ATA, Lprobably bring it down.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Possibly but the shooter information center is the only central data repository that I know of

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting data, I'm just under the average. Can your program work out the doubles average and handicap into the 3 yardage groups.
Thanks for the info.
Darrell

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To note, roughly half of the shooters registered less than 500 targets / year. That is surprising; 500 Singles does not seem like a lot to me. Wondering how many of these are “active” shooters. Your definition of active would be your own measure - 1000/year, 2000/year.

The skewedness of the Median/Mean, shows that most folks are above the average and pull the distribution up.

Thank you, kmag, for doing this.
I used 500 as the cutoff because that is what my state shoot (WI) uses as the number you need in the current year to not get penalized. I know the Grand uses 1,000

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting data, I'm just under the average. Can your program work out the doubles average and handicap into the 3 yardage groups.
Thanks for the info.
Darrell
I do have the 2019 doubles data and that would be simple enough to tabulate. Handicap info gets more tricky. The site really only shows you the shooters current yardage. I have all the handicap averages for the 2019 year but only the current yardage.

If there are any Excel gurus out there, I'd be happy to post the data set and you can have at it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
When referring to my trap shooting skills, I don't think I've ever used the term "average shooter" to describe me. I prefer using the term "casual shooter" to describe my trap shooting because it does a better job at describing how often I shoot trap. Which by the way isn't as often as it used to be. Has nothing to do with Corona Chan, it's just lots of family issues has been taking up most of my spare time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.