Trapshooters Forum banner

Ammunition Supply Forecast

10395 Views 64 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  o-hale
The large gun club in Nevada, the Clark County Shooting Complex, just announced that they are almost out of 12 gauge ammunition, and that the re-supply forecast is not good for the future.
Not good news for southwest shooters.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
The large gun club in Nevada, the Clark County Shooting Complex, just announced that they are almost out of 12 gauge ammunition, and that the re-supply forecast is not good for the future.
Not good news for southwest shooters.
Actually, ammo supply is looking good. Local Walmart had plenty of AA ON the shelf. So did Academy Sports. Grand is over. You’ll see plenty soon.

· Premium Member
797 Posts
Actually, ammo supply is looking good. Local Walmart had plenty of AA ON the shelf. So did Academy Sports. Grand is over. You’ll see plenty soon.
I call bull on that. maybe it depends a little on where you live but in my part of the world we haven't seen a shell on the shelf, other than scalpers since April. The chance of it going from that to plenty of shells available are not good. Your crystal ball is more optimistic than mine. Do you have some other source of information to base this on other than your gut? If you do I'm all ears. I find it odd that a place like the Cardinal center can't come up with shells for the shoot going on right now if supply is related to the grand being over.

· Registered
36,918 Posts
I was in my local Walmart this past Tuesday. They had all kinds of Winchester and Federal shot shell ammo on their shelves. They had 2’s, 4’s, 6’s and BB’s in 12 ga. They also had some 4 packs of Federal 4’s and 6’s I have never seen before, not in my locale anyway. Closest I have seen was some Winchester 4 packs of #6 lead someone wanted 80 bucks a 4 pack posted on a bulletin board at a local club. Walmart ammo may be all gone now, but hang in there.

· Registered
65 Posts
anyone seeing the Winchester Super X Steel shot? Really hoping for this stuff to get back into the supply chain as my cloest club is on wetlands and can't shoot lead. Used to buy this for $5/box at Walmart when times were good not all that long ago.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
someone wanted 80 bucks a 4 pack posted on a bulletin board at a local club.
There. The person has to be a club member. Take note and shun the sumbitch.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
In Eastern Wa/N Idaho all outdoor stores and Wally have 3" 2 shot steel, and freaking 28ga and 12ga 00 buck. Anything else is zip, nada, zero. My assumption is the factory's are making a run of 1 load at a time. Trap shells are the least profitable and its almost fall. My guess is the next dump of shells with be 3" lead and dove loads because hunting season is upon us.

Rifle wise 556, and now 308 is available. No 3006 or 300win.

Pistol rounds 9mm, and 380 is on every shelve but no .45 .357 or .44

· Registered
36,918 Posts
anyone seeing the Winchester Super X Steel shot? Really hoping for this stuff to get back into the supply chain as my cloest club is on wetlands and can't shoot lead. Used to buy this for $5/box at Walmart when times were good not all that long ago.
There was some Super X in the lot I mentioned above, maybe 40-50 boxes? , As to the number of boxes of steel, I did not count. Maybe 10 or more boxes on the shelves? I was more focused the lead, but there was steel.
If I am out and about today, I will stop by and take another look.

Reactions: heckofagator

· Registered
1,177 Posts
I have called Recob's repeatedly for weeks. Nothing, and they're a major regional supplier. I don't buy that there is anything to alleviate the problem soon. The ammunition manager at Scheels told me a couple of weeks ago that if I find anything anywhere, I should buy it. He didn't know if they would getting anything as far as lead hunting loads this fall. The ammunition manufacturers are shutting us out. There's no way they're putting out shotshells to help alleviate the demand. If they are going at capacity, it's for the pistol and rifle shooters, not us.

· Registered
13,015 Posts
I keep hearing people say this and in POCKETS it may be but nowhere in the SE is that even remotely TRUE None of the clubs around can get SQUAT from suppliers. The Shoots at the Silver Dollar have been limiting shells to events you pay for. Reloading supplies have dried up except wads ans some shot. Glad it's so rosie in your world ! (

· Registered
2,035 Posts
I've managed to keep myself in shells at the three Walmarts closest to me. Yesterday I found a Winchester Game & Target 4 pack and AA's at one and AA's and Super Targets at another. The third, that is usually the most productive, had a bunch of waterfowl ammo but no target ammo. It's been pretty uncommon not to find something at at least one of them. The local Academy had quite a few shells this morning and I picked up a case of Estates. Besides Estate @ $7.99, they had Gun Clubs and Top Guns @ $8.99, AA's @ $10.99 and STS's @ $11.99.

I usually shoot 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2's at 1145 and most of what I have now is 1200 fps 8's, but I haven't had much trouble finding them.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
and how many threads, posts, times has that been explained here? Target shot shell ammo represents a very small percentage of ammo production. Any business with a management collective IQ over 60 will follow the thousand year practice in capitalism of meeting the biggest demand for product first or that business is not likely to survive.
It's been asked and explained several times here because it is an ever changing situation that benefits from frequent discussions. Your assessment is but one look at a serious situation, and by no means the last word.
I encourage people to help us all by frequently reporting their own local situations.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.