Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys getting shells and lead? My suppliers for factory shells, Sports Authority and Walmart don’t carry them anymore. Online retailers I’ve found are either exorbitant or out of stock. Now my club operator can’t get lead. What’s going on and what should we expect?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Uh, you just wake up from a long coma? Been in a cave last 4 months?

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
CAC Associates, the 3 Super Walmarts within driving distance and Cabela's are all well-stocked in my area. I don't buy lead yet as I'm only beginning to reload.

I particularly like using my $20-ish in Cabela's points on the 69.99 STS, not a whole lot beats STS for $55 out of the door!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I was in a local Sports Authority yesterdayand a local Farmand Home today.
The Sports Authority had no popular shells like .22 long rifle, no 9mm, no .357 or .38 or .38special, no 10mm, no .45acp no.223 or 556
Plenty of shotgun shells. Flat after flat. Many brands, gauge and type.
The Farm and Home had many .22 shells ( I bought 2 bricks) lots of steel case .223 shells and quite a few bulk.223 loads,
.45 scp,. 38 special and again lots of shotgun shells.
Didn't notice if either place had reloading supplies as I don't buy any.
Plenty of shotgun shell in both places.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Local Walmart's here in central MD , have plenty Ammo . Cabellas as well > Internet orders . One local shooting rang , but they are still not open, has a whole 20 ft. Container Full of Ammo. One of my friends has 2 blue barrels full of reclaimed shot

·
Registered
631 Posts
Every Walmart seems to be different as some stock good quality shotgun shells and then the next only stocks a few boxes of low price Federals or Winchester. Can't guess why at this point.

·
Registered
29,585 Posts
Every Walmart seems to be different as some stock good quality shotgun shells and then the next only stocks a few boxes of low price Federals or Winchester. Can't guess why at this point.
It been said here, it is individual managers in charge of department.

I was told by a friend long ago, same with “buyers” in grocery stores. His wife worked for Safeway. The buyer keeps the store stocked with what moves, which is only natural, and products they like in particular. Kroger store where winter residence are, do not carry some of our favorite brands at the Kroger Stores at our summer residence location.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Retailers operate on turns. It a product doesn't turn often enough times a year it's inventory is reduced (shelf space) or eliminated for a faster turning product. Except at special times, like hunting season or Christmas in which case added shelf space is made available for seasonal products.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the reply’s. I’m in North Carolina (near Charlotte). It’s interesting that prices and availability varies so much by location, even within corporations. $1-$2 per box may not seem like much unless you shoot 12 or more rounds a week. It all adds up.

Thanks again!

·
Supporting Vendor
5,396 Posts
We order components and shells once a year from our local club (New Pioneer). The club has a FFL so they get supplied directly from the distributor (Sunset Distributors) and delivery is free.

·
Registered
10,355 Posts
After the store that can't be named on here stopped selling ammo. The only game left in town here is Walmart and the BPS. Bass Pro Shop has not had a good deal on shells since the economy crashed in 08 around here. Walmart has not stocked any rifle or pistol ammo since they said they will no longer carry them. The pistol ammo is gone, and the rifle ammo is about 40% of what is was and not being restocked. They are carrying shotshell ammo. The Federal's are still $21.79 or so. But the Winchester Universal's have gone up a dollar. So there at $ 22.79 or so. I have to wonder if Federal will raise there price as well? I"m sure they will within a month or so. Good Luck to Y'all getting ammo these days. break em all Jeff

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
After the store that can't be named on here stopped selling ammo. The only game left in town here is Walmart and the BPS. Bass Pro Shop has not had a good deal on shells since the economy crashed in 08 around here. Walmart has not stocked any rifle or pistol ammo since they said they will no longer carry them. The pistol ammo is gone, and the rifle ammo is about 40% of what is was and not being restocked. They are carrying shotshell ammo. The Federal's are still $21.79 or so. But the Winchester Universal's have gone up a dollar. So there at $ 22.79 or so. I have to wonder if Federal will raise there price as well? I"m sure they will within a month or so. Good Luck to Y'all getting ammo these days. break em all Jeff
Thank you. I just picked up 2 flats of Gun Clubd (I didn't see any STS) for $64.99 each. I used a gift card I got for 10% off ($45 paid for a $50 gift card) and 24 dollars worth of Cabela's points. So for about $5.50 a box I got 500 gun club shells.

If I had only bought one flat, my discount would have been steeper more like $4 a box. Math isn't my strong suit.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Well, to be honest, from my garage. If I dont change things soon enough, At some point I will cross the threshold of maybe not be able to use it all up. I used covid and unemployment as an excuse to skip all the rebates this year.

It starts with buying all you need for this month. Progresses to buying all you need for the season. Really gets going when you start buying enough for a few years. Then culminates with maybe having more than you can shoot up in your lifetime. And that is the answer to how much ammo and components you need.
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Called my distro and had a pallet shipped to me. If there's a shortage I haven't seen it. Stopped in to cabelas for something the other day and they had plenty of shells as well.

upload_2020-6-24_15-3-21.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had very good luck with fleet farm. They normally have federal top gun on sale for around $5 a box every few months.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jut finished loading all the components that I had on hand, 6800 rounds plus have another 45 cases of top guns and nitro 27's , given that about 1/2 the shoots that I normally attend have been cancelled so far this spring i'm good for this year and most of next year, by then i'll have time to keep an eye out for sales and get more stocked up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts