Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to store ammo, long and short term?
Is a dehumidifier needed? What is the best kink of cabinet?
My gun safes don't have enough room and the shelf weight
is starting to concern me.
Thanks for your thoughts! Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Where are you located? If it's humid a lot then it may not hurt to fire up a dehumidifier, otherwise keep wherever you please pretty much. But all that will do really is help prevent corrosion of the brass/steel.

I just finished with the last of the American Select I picked up. I keep those flats in the kitchen by the back door. (What, doesn't everyone keep ammo in the kitchen? But then again I keep my socks in the microwave; I like my feet toasty warm in the morning.) The PB I'm using now is staying on shelves down in the basement.

There are older threads here that show folks storing ammo in the garage, in sheds, and no one seems to have to make any special arrangements.

Greg

·
Registered
500 Posts
I store reloaded ammo in my barn. A word of caution though. If you are reloading Federal Papers. Do not let them stay out there too long after reloading. I have some that I reloaded a little over a year ago. I now have to run them though the last two stages on my MEC 9000 to resize them as the paper has picked up moisture and swelled. It has not effected the powder, they still shoot just fine. Or at least so far I have not had any odd sounding reports. But all of the plastic hulled ammo that I have reloaded is just fine without any problems. When my son was taking hunters education. One of the instructors was a fireman. HE told everyone NOT to store ammunition in a gun safe as it could explode in a house fire. If it is out in the open it will burn but not explode.

Jim B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts