Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up 4 flats of .410 at $78.11 per with $22 shipping for all of it.

I couldn't pass it up. I don't know of other gauges.

101_6941.JPG

·
Registered
43 Posts
Challenger is one of the most popular economy shells for us in Ontario. 12 and 20g is common but I've never seen it in .410

·
Registered
775 Posts
I really like the 12 gauge 1oz light loads in my English SxS and their 20 gauge sporting clay loads in my 1100. I also shot them in 28 Gauge a few years back.
I have shot many flats of their shells over the years.
Leo Harrison was sponsored by them for a few years and I think he cleaned up at the Grand one year shooting Challenger shells.
Devonian.

·
Registered
13,913 Posts
Why wouldn't you buy AAs, send in the rebate, and sell the hulls? You could shoot factory premium ammunition for half of what you paid for the Challengers.

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
Markham Park in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. sells only Challenger Shells. From what I understand they are the cheapest shells they can buy from a wholesaler. They buy low and sell high, kind of normal for a shooting club.

So your 410 bore Challenger Shells come out to $83.61 per case to your door. I'm not impressed. My 410 loads cost me $33.41 per flat, w/tax!!! For a shell that is as good as a factory AA that is possible to reload. I do have to drive about 1/2 hour out of my way to pick-up my supplies when they come in, when I'm driving to the club to shoot. So its a little out of my way, but not much. Of course I do have to reload my empties for this price. Takes me about a 1/2 hour to load a 100 shells, box them, and cull all my empty hulls just before I load them. Check for split plastic and brass on the sides of all the hulls. You need to do this with the 410 bore most of all, or you'll end up with a lot of whistlers!!!

One of my local shooting clubs also sells the comp 1 line of B & P 410 shells for $70.00 per flat, if I don't want to bother reloading.

I have to wonder why you did not wait until the Winchester rebate to buy your 410 loads and have them shipped to your home? Even if you don't reload you could sell your empties for 3 to 4 bucks a box when your finished shooting them. You also end up paying $2 a box less for your shells new as well during the rebate. So you pay 10 bucks for shells to start. After rebate you pay 8 bucks. Then you shoot the shells, when you want too. Then sell all your empties for a min. of 3 bucks a box. So your Final price is 5 bucks a box (maybe 4 bucks). You do need to find a buyer for your empties though. This is a simple as going to any large skeet shoot in your area. Just a FYI for you in the future. This may be a better option for you next time. Better shell, for cheaper cost. Its a win win if you don't mind looking for a buyer for your empties!!! Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why wouldn't you buy AAs, send in the rebate, and sell the hulls? You could shoot factory premium ammunition for half of what you paid for the Challengers.
I reload and keep all my AA hulls. Best I can find AA right now in 410 is $11.99. Academy had AA's here for $8.99 for quite awhile and I bought every box as soon as they hit the shelves. I have close to 2200 or so hulls, so won't be worried for too long. From what I gather, the Challenger loads up like a Federal. I will have to try that before giving it an A++. I don't shoot near what I used to, so 2200 hulls will last me a long, long time. I just thought for the price and if they were reloadable, I would give the Challenger a chance.

All the best.

Joel

·
Banned
684 Posts
I reload and keep all my AA hulls. Best I can find AA right now in 410 is $11.99. Academy had AA's here for $8.99 for quite awhile and I bought every box as soon as they hit the shelves. I have close to 2200 or so hulls, so won't be worried for too long. From what I gather, the Challenger loads up like a Federal. I will have to try that before giving it an A++. I don't shoot near what I used to, so 2200 hulls will last me a long, long time. I just thought for the price and if they were reloadable, I would give the Challenger a chance.

All the best.

Joel
Joel every one forgot one important thing of your purchase It’s Your Money Use it any way you like if you are satisfied with your purchase then it doesn’t matter what any one thinks !!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts