Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to purchase 8 lb of American select so I did.

Never used it before so asking people who use or have used it in the past.

Using a P-W loader with a mec bushing adapter I am looking to be around 17.5 to 18 gr for loading old style AA hulls, 1-1/8 oz, clay buster AA clone wad, win 209 or ched primers -hope to be just a little under 1145 fps for a lite load.

1. How would you rate this powder ?
2. what mec bushing would throw around 17.5 as a good starting point....not interested what the book tells you cause they are usually way off on powder drops, mostly much lower than published
That doesn't mean I don't use published data for loading, just that the powder drops are not even close to what Mec charts say they will drop. At least thats been my experience with using the mec adapter in the P-W.

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo
8,509 Posts
Mines been the opposite...throws more on MEC.
18gr AS should push 1-1/8 around 1145 cause I load 1oz with 18, around 1190ish. Don't trust the bushing, go by weight.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mines been the opposite...throws more on MEC.
18gr AS should push 1-1/8 around 1145 cause I load 1oz with 18, around 1190ish. Don't trust the bushing, go by weight.
Just looking for a good starting point so I don't end up trashing too many hulls. Old machine without the removable die system so I need to cut apart to weigh them.

·
Registered
915 Posts

Using a P-W loader with a mec bushing adapter I am looking to be around 17.5 to 18 gr for loading old style AA hulls, 1-1/8 oz, clay buster AA clone wad, win 209 or ched primers -hope to be just a little under 1145 fps for a lite load.

2. what mec bushing would throw around 17.5 as a good starting point....not interested what the book tells you cause they are usually way off on powder drops, mostly much lower than published
That doesn't mean I don't use published data for loading, just that the powder drops are not even close to what Mec charts say they will drop. At least thats been my experience with using the mec adapter in the P-W.
It's been a while since I used it, but what I did like is that it's cleaning burning. What I didn't like is more is needed to achieve desired velocities. Now days, any powder whatsoever is perfect!!!

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
It's been a while since I used it, but what I did like is that it's cleaning burning. What I didn't like is more is needed to achieve desired velocities. Now days, any powder whatsoever is perfect!!!
A couple years ago I was visiting an LGS not far from home.
He had some 1 pounders of American Select and Extra-Lite for a decent price. I went home and studied the data for the two back to back... (I never used either before)
The AS had data for 9/8 and E-L didn’t but I usually only load 1oz so that didn’t matter to me, but for the 1oz loads I could get good pressures and higher velocity with less powder with the E-L.
I went back and bought the Extra-Lite and now it's my favorite powder...

I wish I would've bought the AS too !

·
Registered
179 Posts
Excellent powder. Almost as fast as RD, almost as slow as GD.

Try #30.
Just looking for a good starting point so I don't end up trashing too many hulls. Old machine without the removable die system so I need to cut apart to weigh them.
don't put a hull in, just stroke your reloader and catch the powder in your scale pan, it will probably be a little lite, but it will be a good starting point

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
don't put a hull in, just stroke your reloader and catch the powder in your scale pan, it will probably be a little lite, but it will be a good starting point
The PW machine has a full length die and the powder drop tube goes down into it. I never tried that before-I don't think there is room for the pan, even without the hull as the die extends up and the drop tube extends down into it, but I will look at that

·
Registered
692 Posts
A couple years ago I was visiting an LGS not far from home.
He had some 1 pounders of American Select and Extra-Lite for a decent price. I went home and studied the data for the two back to back... (I never used either before)
The AS had data for 9/8 and E-L didn’t but I only load 1oz so that didn’t matter to me, but for the 1oz loads I could get good pressures and higher velocity with less powder with the E-L.
I went back and bought the Extra-Lite and now it's my favorite powder...

I wish I would've bought the AS too !
SHHHHH or it will be even harder to find if too many are looking for it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The PW machine has a full length die and the powder drop tube goes down into it. I never tried that before-I don't think there is room for the pan, even without the hull as the die extends up and the drop tube extends down into it, but I will look at that
I have a 950 with the short shell holders, sorry about that , always worth a try.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to measure to see if that would work. Pulled down on handle, marked top of hull line with black sharpie then returned handle to top and measured down from black mark-no room for powder pan.
Cylinder Idiophone Gas Musical instrument Auto part
Engineering Gas Machine Auto part Cylinder

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a 950 with the short shell holders, sorry about that , always worth a try.
Thanks anyway-I remember....I used to have a PW like that with the shorter shell holder, boy was that a long time ago-whew.

·
Registered
950 Posts
K-Gun, Not sure it will work with your PW machine, but. I have an PW 800+. I use 20 ga hulls for catching dropped powder. Works great. Find some if you can and give it a try. The 20 ga hull slips onto the powder drop tube with a snug it, and the metal rim at the bottom fits inside the 12 ga shell holder. No worries about not having enough room for a pan !

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
K-Gun, Not sure it will work with your PW machine, but. I have an PW 800+. I use 20 ga hulls for catching dropped powder. Works great. Find some if you can and give it a try. The 20 ga hull slips onto the powder drop tube with a snug it, and the metal rim at the bottom fits inside the 12 ga shell holder. No worries about not having enough room for a pan !
worth a try if I can find a few 20ga hulls. I'm still loading what's left of WST,but when its gone switching to American select so I have some time-thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
4,511 Posts

I read this from an earlier post here from slickhead who seems to have researched this powder his post was exactly this.
Rectangle Font Number Circle Document

I have loaded this recipe using Rem Hulls & The 19.1 + grains of Am Sel using an adapter with a #32 MEC bushing in my Spolar.
It works quite well. Plenty of omph & soft shooting, feels like 1145.
Ill be shooting this load in a 300 handicap tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts