Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to see what folks are loading with American Select for 1 oz. loads. Got this powder now and want to try it out. I also only have Win 209 primers. The Alliant Powder website only has a recipe for Rem209's. Here is what they list

STS Hulls 1 oz. 1200fps American Select CB 1100-12 19.5gr for 7,500psi

I want to use this exact recipe except with Win209's. Anybody use Win209's for this 1 oz load? Thanks.

· Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Drop 19-19.2 grains for the load you are looking for.
Have loaded lots and lots of American Select.
If you want satisfaction stay at as close to 19 grains as you can,
If you drop below 19 grains you will definitely tell the difference in performance.

When you drop 19.5 plus you can tell the difference in the recoil.
It will start getting your attention!!!
Good powder but doesn’t meter well well.

· Premium Member
8,106 Posts
I have been loading American Select 1oz. Loads AA hulls 18 grains with Nobel primers are same as Winchester 209 works nice 1145 fps View attachment 1755514
Well, that's certainly an interesting interpretation of the Hodgdon manual. It says the NS primer can "safely" be substituted for the Win 209 primer. But it does not say "are the same." My interpretation is they are a "weaker" primer than the Win 209. That's the only way to view a blanket statement like that. And use the NS primers at your peril in US made hulls as they are oversized and will stretch the primer pockets.

· Registered
234 Posts
You’ll be fine with that load. American Select is one of my favorite powders. Burns clean and low recoil. I load for 3 so for me it’s not an economical powder due to the heavier drops needed to get the velocity. For 1 ounce I switched to ClayDo and i now use American Select for my 1 1/8 oz handicap loads

· Registered
6 Posts
Where'd you even find it, you lucky duck? Alliant recipes tend to match primer with hull manufacturer only. Could be the only way they are shown. I'm a stick to the book guy myself. I like my gun and face.

· Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Please understand that in the reference that I made was using Winchester 209 primers not a substitute. I also referring to the load recommendation where Alliant called for 19.5 grains.
In no way would I ever use NS primers.
Oversized!!!!

· Registered
6,148 Posts
They work good for me your right once you use the novels you can't reuse other primers in those hulls
Their the only ones I was able to get at the time
Then I wouldn't reload until I could get something different.

I've been in the game a long time, and I've seen a lot. One of the things is the fact that I've seen more shooters have problems with Noble Sport shells than ANY other brand.

I won't shoot their shells, and I'm sure not going to use their primers.

I'm sure others will come along soon and tell me how NS primers are fine. Those seem to be the same guys that can't seem to find anything else.

If they could, wouldn't be using NS primers!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

· Registered
76 Posts
I have friends that use Nobels no problems with them and I know another guy that reloads Nobel hulls 3x with Nobel primers he's a AA Shooter and loads alot I'm not trying to start an argument with you Good Shooting

· Registered
6,148 Posts
I have friends that use Nobels no problems with them and I know another guy that reloads Nobel hulls 3x with Nobel primers he's a AA Shooter and loads alot I'm not trying to start an argument with you Good Shooting
I'm not trying to start an argument either, just stating what I've seen over the years.

I have no doubt that there are folks out there using NS primers and like the results, but that doesn't change my opinion on them or NS shells.

I'll just end this with something I've said many times in regards to reloading....Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.