Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For our clubs around the USA that are smaller clubs, we need to lower the number of shooters to 15 so more shooters can get yardage. At some of our shoots we have one shooter on the 27th which is not fun. 25 shooters or more is to many for small clubs or small shoots. Big shoots are fine at 25 but to keep the shooters motivated, we need the change for smaller venues. If we change this for 15 shooters or more, the winner would only get a half yard punch unless they shoot 98 or above then they would get a full yard. Please help , talk to your Delegates. Thanks Lenny Sawyer Mississippi Gulf Coast

·
Super Moderator
5,314 Posts
That change to the earned yardage table was ratified (34-20) in August 2012.

This was during the 2-yard reduction era, so it was in the spirit of not making it so easy for people to move back (and thus get on a yardage where they were not competitive.)

As with any rule, all it takes is a Delegate to make a motion to change the rule, get a second, and have a vote.

So, I suggest you ask your Delegate to make such a motion at the BOD meeting, after securing a second, and have it put to a vote again.

·
L'Étoile du Nord
497 Posts
I agree, what's the point of half yard punches? Anything over 96 should get a full yard; except that a 100 should get 2 yards. Just my opinion.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I agree, what's the point of half yard punches? Anything over 96 should get a full yard; except that a 100 should get 2 yards. Just my opinion.
I have to agree with a 96 getting a full yard. A 95 and under could stay at a half yard punch (provided they don't get more under the earned yardage table). A 96 in Handicap is some great shooting for most people! I Don't think we need to return to the 15 shooter rule. At small clubs I have see scores punched in the low 80s under the 15 shooter rule! That kind of score is no threat at ANY bigger shoot so why punch a shooter for it ? I will proudly take a punch if given one but, want it to be for a note worthy score, not because I beat some guy with an 83 at some small club because they had 15 shooters!

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Makes no sense to hand out half yard punches. Get a half yard punch and you still shoot from the same yardage where you earned the half yard,

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I shot a score of 87 once in the handicap and won by 5 targets. There wasn't enough shooters to give me a punch for it. Do you honestly think I should have been given a punch for that? I think the system we have in place works pretty good the way it is.

·
Premium Member
10,548 Posts
The earned yardage rules have evolved through the years of experience and subsequent massage.

Honest discussion is always good on any rule but without knowing the history of that evolution, most comments lack the merit from the test of time.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Half yard punch just means you gotta shoot a good score twice to actually get a move back.

Makes it so you don't necessarily get a yard on a fluke good score.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know an individual that only will shoot small club shoots as he knows he can dominate and not get yardage because its next to impossible to get twenty-five shooters in the handicap event. You will never see him break more then a ninety-five either. Tell me how that's fair?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
What about making everyone shoot caps from the 27 and then break it up by class like we do for singles and doubles. Base it on averages and known ability like the rest of our sport. It would completely eliminate the shooter who posts a perfect score to win the GAH from the 18 yd. line. Imagine the boost in the economy from shooters buying magic gismo's to help them shoot caps better.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
You obviously don't understand the.concept of punches.
Not much different than points on your license.

You are absolutely right. I don't understand this half yard stuff. If I earn a half yard at the 22 yard line I'm still going to shoot handicap from the 22 yard line until such time as I get another punch. Makes zero sense. If I earn a punch then move me back a yard. Make me shoot from the 23 instead of the 22 yard line.

Having to prove that what someone shot was not a fluke as justification for giving a half yard punch versus a one yard punch is nowhere in the rules and if that is the case please point them out for me where it says, even though you earned a half yard punch the ATA wants you to do it again because we, the ATA, think it was a fluke on your part. So yea I don't understand this half yard punch stuff. So is there a valid reason for doing it this way?

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
What about making everyone shoot caps from the 27 and then break it up by class like we do for singles and doubles. Base it on averages and known ability like the rest of our sport. It would completely eliminate the shooter who posts a perfect score to win the GAH from the 18 yd. line. Imagine the boost in the economy from shooters buying magic gismo's to help them shoot caps better.

I can deal with this.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts