Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this should be posted in the political area. Can an attorney weigh in here. It seems puzzling that Amanda Knox has to worry about extradition to Italy. I believe that the U.S. allowing that would be supporting a disposition that supports double jeopardy, hence such allowance would be absurd and nullify her Constitutional rights as a U.S. Citizen.

BTW, I've not heard an outrage raised regarding this issue re. double jeopardy.

Trapshooting lawyer(s) out there, can you explain? This turn of events, although sensationalistic news, outrages me as, perhaps, our government does not do the best to uphold the law for ALL American citizens. Seems more news bites are focused upon spoiled kiddie celebrities and their driving habits these days...sigh...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Not an attorney, but I travel to Italy regularly for work.

Double jeopardy does not really exist in the Italian legal system (based on Napoleonic Law, not English Law). The appeal process can go on and on there for years.

Chances are correct that the US would not extradite based on the double jeopardy clause of our Constitution, but as far as I know it has never come to 'blows' with Italy so this would be a first time event. No real way to predict the outcome, but most legal scholars I have read say she would not be extradited.

I suggest you read her book Waiting To Be Heard. It gives a fascinating view of what she went through. Very negative view of the Italian legal system - less on the judicial side, more on police incompetence (CSI it is not)

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
What little I know of "Italy" seem to me that they have never recovered from WWII and Mussolini.

They seem to have a huge problem even dealing justice with "real" criminals, aka The Mob.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I thought the justice system in Italy was "The Mob". LOL

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And thought to ponder: Obama weighed in re. George Zimmerman/Trevon Martin case. I've not heard a word about the Amanda Knox debacle.

"It's an uneven parallel universe...and continues to be."

I also agree with Tron re. the "smoking hot part"...but she needs some "R&R and TLC."

David

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
No way should she be sent back! But with this administration and Justice Department constitutional rights don't mean anything. I'm betting Eric Holder is investigating her now, and if she ever attended a Tea Party rally, or voted for a Republican She will be sent back ASAP.

She better go volunteer to work on some liberal Democrat's reelection campaign in 2014.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
P3AT,

Same prosecutor for Amanda Knox - Mignini.

Went after Preston with an elaborate, perverse logic - same process used against Knox.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
If they want her I bet she will get sent back..

Also further down in the article it talks about double jeopardy.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Italian courts are the laughing stock of the world. They convicted seven scientists for failing to predict a killer earthquake.

I don't know if Knox committed murder or not. But I do not believe the Italian courts are capable of the slightest amount of competency, so their decision is totally irrelevant to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts