Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m right handed and right eye dominant. my question is if I mount my gun and line up my beads most of the time I only see the TOP of the rib. Sometimes my left eye comes in and I can also see the side of the ribs. If I wink the left eye the side of the gun goes away for atleast a few seconds.

This is what my site picture looks like. Sometimes I see just the top of rib (left) and sometimes I see the side too like the gun on the right. Not sure if the dots in the picture are relevant. My sight picture bounces back and forth. Should I be trying to correct or is that normal? Should I just ignore or look past it or is this taking me off target? I swear I loose birds that I thought I was on.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
You are dominance shifting, which tends to occur as we get older, and is likely to go from intermittent to most of the time :(
Your image on right is when the left eye takes over, and your POI will be shifted to the left, requiring more perceived lead on left to right targets.
Very helpful image BTW. Could you please post a full size image that I could copy, or send by jpg attachment to [email protected] ?

What the heck! Can your eye dominance change?

Dominance Switching Poll

Poll: Corrective measures that have resolved my dominance issues

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I am also right handed and supposedly right eye dominate and I shot a shotgun with both eyes open from age 15 in 1955 until 2018. I fought cross-firing denial for years but after a discussion with Phil Kiner and a lot of reading and soul searching I finally got tired of the Mystery Misses and I now wear the tape patch on my left eye lens.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You are dominance shifting, which tends to occur as we get older, and is likely to go from intermittent to most of the time :(
Your image on right is when the left eye takes over, and your POI will be shifted to the left, requiring more perceived lead on left to right targets.
/QUOTE]
I have recently started to experience this exact issue. Been shooting 2 eyed for last 13 years.
I always "test" right hand/right eye dominate, but there are internment times I just loose feel and focus on targets. I decided to try a dot for 1k targets, and then evaluate. Right now 350 targets in with the dot, and so far it really has helped.

Placement, size, color, type and configuration of the dot makes a big difference, so be prepared to try out several dots.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can shoot a 24 and 14 in the same day. And I swear I’m on the bird when I miss. They are normally the easy targets I drop. I thought my problem was inconsistent gun mount. Now I’m questioning my eyes. My friends keep telling me to slow down. I think my hurry is trying to beat my left eye causing confusion.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've dealt with this too.
Every once in a while my non-dominant left eye would suddenly decide it wanted a say in which way the shotgun pointed.

Tried smudging the left lens on my glasses hoping it would allow right eye dominance but still give me a little bit of depth perception.
It has worked for others but not for me, I ended up taping my left lens completely. The struggle now is a narrower field of vision and loss of depth perception - but my scores are much better.

On a side note:
Used to have a long drive to work - one time got tired driving at night and the left eye completely took over.
I was in the right lane of a four lane highway - the car simply driving past in the left lane looked like it was suddenly cutting across in front of me and all the way over to the right shoulder. I went into extreme 'evasion mode' for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

It sure woke up the four people in my carpool!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Easy way to check, shoot some rounds with your left eye closed. No money outlay or gadgets needed.
i guess I was curious if seeing the side of the ribs was normal. I wasn’t sure if it meant my left eye was taking me completely off target or was just joining in on the party. I tried taping my lense and mounting my gun. It takes away the side of the gun for the most part.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Alexander - what you want to obscure is the forward 1/2 of barrel and front bead. I am of the opinion that the smaller the dot THAT WORKS the better; Phil Kiner disagrees, as some will try to "look around" the dot if too small.

Magic dot placement

A couple of methods
A good way to properly align a dot is to use paper punch cut outs from a paper punch. Moisten the paper dot and stick it to the lens and adjust the position until it is perfectly centered over the gun's bead with your off eye after you assume your normal shotgun mount. Place the real dot on the opposite side of the lens perfectly centered over the paper dot. Remove paper dot and shoot.

I used two dots to find a good spot. One on the inside, one on the outside. I started out with both dots lined up with each other. When making an adjustment, I moved the outside dot, and left the inside dot where it was as a placeholder. If I liked the outside dot placement, I moved the inside placeholder to line up with it. This way I could make changes and reverse them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A lot of people have this problem , including me . The way I found out I had it was when I shot doubles , usually on posts one and two ( I'm a right hand shooter ) , I noticed occasionally I would shoot at the second target and the sight picture would appear that the barrel would be behind the target but I would still break it . I asked a AAA doubles shooter and after a session he told me it was quit common . I fixed the problem with a sight fence . Hope this helps .

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
IF you see the left side of your rib/gun, your left eye IS taking over PERIOD!!!

For the VAST MAJORITY of the shooters, I have "coached" or just observed smaller is not only NOT better, but it is also generally MUCH WORSE.

I have learned this the hard way by watching (or even in my early teaching days recommending ) students go smaller w/ dots-tape and watching scores fall off the cliff.

I know several shooters that are "dotted" small and it works great, for them.

My conclusion, test it all and go with what works best for YOU.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IF you see the left side of your rib/gun, your left eye IS taking over PERIOD!!!

For the VAST MAJORITY of the shooters, I have "coached" or just observed smaller is not only NOT better, but it is also generally MUCH WORSE.

I have learned this the hard way by watching (or even in my early teaching days recommending ) students go smaller w/ dots-tape and watching scores fall off the cliff.

I know several shooters that are "dotted" small and it works great, for them.

My conclusion, test it all and go with what works best for YOU.
I think I’m right eye dominant MOST of the time. In favorable conditions and when I’m shooting well I think it’s because my eyes are cooperating and my right eye picks up the bird first and locks on. I do think if my left eye somehow picks up the bird first I’m in trouble causing me to crossfire.

I’m wondering if I change my hold points lower it will give my right eye a better chance at locking on. Maybe I’m overthinking all of this.
But I appreciate your time and feedback.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Happens to me all the time. I just [ 15 years ago ] put a small patch on the off eye glass to block out the end of the muzzles. Works great.

·
Vendor
1,680 Posts
I have changed my hold point rec's in my latest DVD (coming soon). I recommend trying moving hold point left on each of the posts so that you can keep the target on the right side of the barrel as long as possible.

Try it- some feel it works great and others have trouble moving and changing a habit that is totally ingrained in your brain.

·
Registered
21,631 Posts
When I started seeing the left side of the rib I cured it by crossing my eyes. Scores haven't changed:018:
Everybody likes a little ass now and then but nobody likes a smart ass.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i guess I was curious if seeing the side of the ribs was normal. I wasn’t sure if it meant my left eye was taking me completely off target or was just joining in on the party. I tried taping my lense and mounting my gun. It takes away the side of the gun for the most part.
Is your master eye high enough above the rib. 1 1/2 to 1 3/8 DAC is pretty normal depending on facial structure.If your master eye is to close to the rib and you tip your head forward a little when you mount,you will crossfire quite a bit.You may be peeking at your bead when you shoot the target which will stop the muzzle and maybe causing your eye above the rib to not see the target clearly. I feel the biggest offender is a stock that don't fit.YOU MUST KEEP HEAD ON THE STOCK .JMHO

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I’ve shot several rounds over last few days and experimented. I’m definitely cross firing. Shooting one eyed FIXED it. However it created a new problem as I couldn’t catch hard rights or lefts.

I tried tape, winking and none of the worked.

I think I’m onto something. Wearing a baseball cap and riding the front of the stock has been promising. I’m not seeing the side of barrel anymore and it allows me to keep both eyes open. I shot a 23.

I think my stock is too long. I really have to lean in to close that 2-3 finger gap. My forearm hand is sore from pulling the gun into my shoulder so hard.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Kim Rhode appears to be using the bill of her cap + tape to block the off eye

1 - 19 of 19 Posts