Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like break open shotguns, particularly side by sides. I've had a few pumps over the years (Mossberg 500, Winchester 97, Remington Express 870) but I've never enjoyed shooting them and am back to my Beretta MkII (for trap) and my Savage Fox Model B (for everything else, including homeland security) Now I realize pumps and autloaders are considered the cat's meow when it comes to protecting one's castle but darn it, I feel more confident with a break open double.
I'm curious,
Is there anyone else with like similar preference?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
GK,

Good question! I married in 1965 and, being a gun nut from a gun nut family, I wished to teach my new wife how to protect herself while I traveled for a living and was gone alot. First, I pulled out the pistol...typical home protection. Realized she could not pull the hammer back and that she was shooting a small single projectile which meant she needed to be accurate. Sooooo, I bought a break gun with a short barrel, cut the stock down. No need for difficult loading process as with a pistol, pump or auto. Darling, hit the lever, drop in the shell, close the gun, point it in the general direction of your target and pull the trigger. A pistol of significant caliber was also too heavy for my little girl to handle while the break gun sat in her arms like a broom stick...easy. There are many who disagree with this approach as most home security guns are handguns but for someone who does not regularily shoot and not accustomed to or trained with firearms...well I think I made the best decision for all concerned at my house. It was kept loaded and hidden behind the curtain next to her bed for easy access.

miltie

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I used to shoot over and unders. When several liberal governments around the world turned against semi auto shotguns I decided that I needed to shoot them. I have learned to love semi autos. That being said there is something nostalgic about side by sides. I think of the Wild West and the old movies. Even futuristic movies use them. I saw a little bit of an old Mad Max movie last night and Mel Gibson was using a side by side. It fit the part better than any other gun would have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
"it was kept loaded and hidden behind the curtain next to her bed for easy access."

Just be careful when someone's little kids (married in 1965 -- assume you don't have little kids) come over and accidentally get their hands on a loaded shotgun...That could be unfortunate.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
MS YAN

That was in 1965 and I was 19 years old. We had NO children at that time and kept our bedroom door locked full time. Your post was an excellent one and words that should be well heeded.

Thanks,

milt

·
Registered
377 Posts
When you can afford a new K-Gun, P-Gun, Seitz, etc. Then complain how much the new feed for it cost. Then you know!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Being from Kentucky, the best home protection is conversation and gentle persuading. I feel quite sure this would prevent any robber form hurting you or taking any of your belongings. Also, keep your cell phone handy so you can call the police that one of your fellow humans is angered and you are going to try to convince him to reject his recidivist's ways.

Oh my gosh, I've been in a liberal nightmare and just woke up. Please reject the above statement.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.