Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called up Paxton and requested the Demo Max Lite Sporting, took it out today and I’ll be damned it feels like a 4x4 compared to my K80. I have no idea how my brother and wife can shoot theirs, I would have tried one of theirs but they both have custom fit stocks and are no where close to me.

I really wanted to love the gun and I’ll take it out a couple more times this weekend before I return it but I just don’t see me falling in love with it.

Anyone else really want something to work and it was a huge let down?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Rick,

After shooting Browning's and Beretta's for many years I bought a beautiful Bavaria Grade K-80.
Lodged the paperwork to bring the K-80 with me to the USA to shoot the 2002 Iowa State and the Grand.
Man talk about different to shoot after what I had been used to, first day @ Iowa ran a 68 in singles, I wont even go into Handicap and Doubles scores.
It did not improve as the week went on.
In desperation I had a visit with Todd from the Country Gentleman's Gun fitters, he said put the gun up and down a few times, okay I know whats wrong he said
leave it in the corner and he would get to it in the next few hours or so and come back early the next morning, Singles Championship day.
We were in an early squad so I picked the gun up early (all fixed he said) and he said go shoot the first 100 and come back and see me, I did so and came back but at the time he was very busy.
Come back after second 100 and fix me up then, guess what I ran my first and only 200/200.
Todd's words to me when I went back to thank him and pay him was, the gun fitted you as it was, you just needed to think it did and believe it.
Todd had not touched the gun, it was exactly the same as before, I just needed to get my head straight.
I shot 4 x 100/100 1 x 200/200 and 2 x 199/200 that trip.
I started the trip in B Class, ended up in AAA Class.
What a rush that trip was.

My message don't give up on the Kolar to soon.

Regards from Down-under.

Release Trigger.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fully intend on getting another 500-600 rounds through it before I send it back and make my final decision.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I fully intend on getting another 500-600 rounds through it before I send it back and make my final decision.
I had a similar experience, but the opposite direction......Wanted so badly to own a K-80, but ended up going with the Kolar. I just shot it better. I still ended up owning 4 K-80s, because I like the different engravings. Tried to switch to K-80 a couple times, but I just shoot the Kolar better.

Now, believe me, I would never say one feels like a 4x4 compared to the other. All of mine have been fit to me. I can easily run 25s with the K-80s, just not as often as with the Kolar.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rick R , every Kolar I have ever shot felt like I was pointing a 4x4. It may have been the fit or just the balance. I believe Kolar makes a great gun but like everything else they are not for everyone. I guess thats why they make so many different brands and models.

·
Trump2020
818 Posts
I also demo'd a Kolar from Paxton. I couldn't have asked for a better transaction or customer service, he's really second to none. As for the gun, I wasn't impressed. I'm not going to bash Kolar they make gun that works for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them. And I was shooting a K80 when I demoed the Kolar also.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Anyone else really want something to work and it was a huge let down?
Alfermann. Tried my damnest to get into that gun but after almost 4K targets it still wasn’t happening.
Not totally ruling another one out just yet though. Someday I’ll have another one but it will either be built to my specs or a custom stock at minimum...

·
Registered
551 Posts
I wanted a krieghoff k32 San Remo grade since I started shooting trap it took 15 years till I bought one what a dream come true. What a nightmare I had all kinds of internal issues it took 2 annuals double release triggers some more springs a new stock then a PFS. 2 AddaRibs to get it close now I'm looking at a set of trap special barrels for it if I can't shoot it then it will sit in the safe and I'll buy another perazzi. Some guns just don't work for some people so we just keep trying till we find the gun that works and fits best! Good luck zack h

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Remington 90 T was my biggest disappointment. I had wanted one for quite some time and finally found a nice HPAR model. After several failed attempts and even putting it back in the safe for a while, I have come to the realization that I am just unable to shoot this gun well. It will be for sale soon.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Wow I have always wanted a kolar as well maybe I better re evaluate
Demo one first. They have a “unique” feel that I couldn’t put a finger on. I shot two others, both with a prosoft and they felt pretty good but I wouldn’t pay that much. After that I continued on in my search but you may feel differently.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I have always wanted a kolar as well maybe I better re evaluate
My wife and my brother love theirs.

By all means Demo one from Paxton, I think the demo will have cost me $70-$100 between shipping and the ffl fees but in the end it probably saved me thousands.

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
[QUOTE="Rick R, post:
Anyone else really want something to work and it was a huge let down?[/QUOTE]

I have to go along with the person who mentioned "marriage"!

Sadly disappointed..........Or she was. lol

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know the feeling
I bought a used Blaser F3 Super Sport
I tried countless configurations of barrel weights & stock adjustments
It always felt like so was swinging a log
Great gun just not for me

·
Well known trouble maker
3,225 Posts
I bought a Kolar TC combo from forum member Bo Snider back in 2013. Converted it with the included parts to a release. It was just too light. I sent the trigger off to Kolar and asked them to bring it to the Ohio State Shoot that year. Well they were late getting there and I had to shoot my Guerini Magnus in a few handicaps.

When they did arrive I told Jeff Mainland that they forced me to shoot the Guerini because they were late getting to the shoot. He asked me what I thought was the difference shooting the Magnus versus the Kolar.

I told him the Guerini was like a fiery red sports car, quick and agile with the swings. The Kolar I said was like driving a duel axle dump truck, bulky and heavy. In reality, I shot them both about the same, no advantage of one over another.

When I first bought the new Guerini, she was as beautiful as a nineteen year old Italian beauty. One year later she was an overweight Italian women with a mustache.

I sent both guns down the highway.

There are just some guns you cannot shoot.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
I told him the Guerini was like a fiery red sports car, quick and agile with the swings. The Kolar I said was like driving a duel axle dump truck, bulky and heavy.
Hi Doc, what do you attribute that to?

When I first bought the new Guerini, she was as beautiful as a nineteen year old Italian beauty. One year later she was an overweight Italian women with a mustache.
What changed in a year to that Guerini?
Bob

1 - 20 of 64 Posts