Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda acting like a fly on the wall a few days ago at the club.

I overhear a guy, a very good shooter by the way, saying he knows for a fact he has had another club or two place aluminum targets on to knock down scores.

I'll save the whole story, but basically he is straight at 99, and they have a "trap failure" and following the failure next bird out he 'pushed' with shot and it didn't break.

Does this really happen?? Who makes the aluminum targets?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I have shot an aluminum target. They make a heck of a noise when hit.
The shooter was joking.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This opens the door for a question I've had. If a shooter hits a clay hard enough to change the direction of its flight but not break the clay, how is that scored?

·
Super Moderator
4,958 Posts
This opens the door for a question I've had. If a shooter hits a clay hard enough to change the direction of its flight but not break the clay, how is that scored?
Lost

Rule Book, Section VII, B:

B. BROKEN OR DEAD TARGET

A target (called "Dead") is one that is fired upon and has a visible broken piece from it, or one that is completely reduced to dust.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
You asked where we got aluminum target, a club member turned them on a lathe. They were meant as a prank. They worked well. Lol

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Quack decoys sells a plastic type clay target. Flies & looks great and you will not break it. I have a couple & you can really mess with your friends if you want to. Colonel

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So wait, this is common?

I had never heard of it. Ive shot trap since I was 13/14 or so.

Makes me feel stupid :006:

·
Registered
147 Posts
First of all, no, it is not common, and in 200,000 registered targets, I have never seen it, not once ever. And another thing that I frequently hear about is, how a target is knocked sideways and not broken. The target is spinning to maintain a stable flight, it weighs on average 1541 grains, and it is going to be knocked sideways by a couple of 1.25 gr pellets?

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Knocking some dust off and knocking the target out of it's path is a lost. That's why you need #4's in a 10ga to break those Bio-Birds...LOL

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
Dang, that is why my scores have went down.

That is a dastardly thing to do to me.

Must be "The Lit" who has perpetuated this ruse me.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
300 Posts
First of all, no, it is not common, and in 200,000 registered targets, I have never seen it, not once ever. And another thing that I frequently hear about is, how a target is knocked sideways and not broken. The target is spinning to maintain a stable flight, it weighs on average 1541 grains, and it is going to be knocked sideways by a couple of 1.25 gr pellets?
I've never seen any clay other than actual clay targets thrown. But, I have seen a clay knocked sideways without breaking. I just chalked it up to maybe the wad hitting the very edge of the clay?? Sure left me baffled and it wasn't even my target.

Along the lines of messing with buddies and/or keeping scores down, I've heard rumors of smartass trap kids punching the center out of a clay and then placing it in the thrower stack. Anybody ever have any experience with this?

Alex

·
Thorn in your side
8,113 Posts
Along the lines of messing with buddies and/or keeping scores down, I've heard rumors of smartass trap kids punching the center out of a clay and then placing it in the thrower stack. Anybody ever have any experience with this?

Alex
That's a no target and a reshoot. What difference does it make?

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
In winter here in Wisconsin, you sometimes see targets hit but not broken as they continue to fly off it's normal path. Targets are kept in the trap house and get frozen around here reason most shooters shoot hard 7 1/2's for 16 yard shooting in this area of the country.

Years ago, companies like Remington would send one of their top pro's to put on a shooting exhibition and visit local clubs a cross the country. Often a club would have their best shooter go up against the Remington pro in a shooting match. Once in awhile they would slip a non breakable target in the batch of targets in order to give the local shooter an edge.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Yes I have seen bored trappers knock the centers out of targets. Time to get a new trapper.

As far as Aluminum targets I have never seen those used in registered competition just club shoots.

Not nearly as many pranksters as there used to be.

Its been a long time since I have seen anyone locked in an outhouse or some such foolishness.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
In none registered shoots we had a lot of fun razing each other. Then along came the microphone trips and although the birds were on time the fun aspect was lowered. Birds thrown uselessly by talking cost the clubs money and not tolerated. Still a fun game, just different. Marc

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Knocking some dust off and knocking the target out of it's path is a lost. That's why you need #4's in a 10ga to break those Bio-Birds...LOL
Just use 8.5's up close. You'll be fine.

You asked where we got aluminum target, a club member turned them on a lathe. They were meant as a prank. They worked well. Lol
Did they fly the same? Same height, visual appearance, and distance?

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Quack decoys sells a plastic type clay target. Flies & looks great and you will not break it. I have a couple & you can really mess with your friends if you want to. Colonel
Yes they do have them! I bought a few dozen from him to mess with my pal shooters. I had one 15 year old kid that really is a good shooter...But also was full of himself. I challenged him and told him I would beat him with his own gun. :0) So I load the machine with 2 of those Quack targets. His first bird out was a Quack..He hit is square and it really didnt move all that much to my surprise. But when I picked it up the paint was blasted in several spots that he hit it. BTW, he lost the challenge. LOL, I later told him and he was good natured about it.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Did they fly the same? Same height, visual appearance, and distance?
Its been a few years but as I recall they flew OK. When painted they looked legit.
I recall them being hard to find afterwards the shot seemed to give them a push.

Himark seems to have found the modern equivalent.

Its All Good

1 - 20 of 29 Posts