Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Recently bought a Beretta Multitarget to see that T&S stop making the shell catcher for the Multitarget. I bought the Birchwood Casey Save-It shell catcher and not real impressed with it and constantly have to fiddle with it especially when changing brand, weight or velocity of shells. At least my experience. So I have came up with this design and thought I would share. Let me know if you would like the dimensions on this piece. Pretty easy to make and works great. It's held on with 3M molding tape.

20190827_184826.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is correct. I think the T&S was a better product. I'm going to test this one out more this week. Next I'm thinking about making one to deflect the hull for doubles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I like your design and am interested in the knock-down version when you make it. Right now I am using the Cole Gunsmithing spring and a T&S modified per a post on this site and the combination works well. The stock T&S was flipping shells in the action and that drove me nuts.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
Aaron G, nice design. I came up with my design because T&S did not make a LH version for the Velocity XLR 5. I have a BW Save it as well because I like to shoot premium shells and want to save them. When shooting doubles or shells I do not want to save, I flip the wire do the BW Save It down and let the deflector pen work. Shells land by my left foot. Made of aluminum with a threaded Allen head screw. Held on with servo tape which is used in model aircraft and stands up to vibration and fuel.

A1233165-93EC-4BB1-B482-D09A7922B5E4.jpeg

Reactions: Aaron G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting Rick. I really like that design. I wouldn't be able to put it on my rib like yours because of the bolts for the rib mount on the multitarget, but I could use the same design I have with a longer tab bent up and just add the bolt. I think that is what I'm going to try.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for posting-I was searching for ideas for my left hand Beretta. I have the Birchwood Casey design on the gun for singles, but was looking for a knock down pin idea. No gunsmith will install one on the 400 barrel.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Been searching for a deflector for my Multitarget and Rick's design looks good. Can't seem to find the Carey deflector.
Thanks Rick!

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
To make my deflector, I used 1/4 inch aluminum angle. I shaped one side to fit the side of the rib, following it’s sloped contour. The horizontal edge for the “pin,” was drilled and must of that angle cut away so there was just a small flange left, big enough to hold the pin. You can tap that flange or drill a smaller hole and use the threaded Allen head bolt to self tap the flange.

I used several lengths to finally obtain the desired effect of knocking the shell down towards my feet. You can use a small nut on the underside of the flange to lock in the threaded bolt pin and even adjust the length of a long pin. I found the right length after a couple adjustments to shoot doubles, safely without making the guy with a Kreighoff next to me, nervous.

Once you determine what length works, either cut the bolt pin down to what works best, or buy several of the length and keep in your spare parts stash.

You can remove the pin to let your empties fly if you want to.

Servo mounting tape can be found at any hoppy store selling remote control aircraft parts or supplies, or you can mail order. This stuff is very tough and holds a fair amount of weight. It is also very thin, somewhere between 1/16th and 1/8th inch. I have not had to replace the tape since I first put I on, almost two years ago.

Any angled material such as alum, brass steel or even a tough plastic can be used to mount to the side of the rib and hold the bolt pin.

96668265-16B0-45D8-9FEF-20FDF9911536.jpeg

If you don’t have a flat side of the rib that extends over the ejection port, than think about using the same angled material along side the flat of the receiver, behind and above the bolt slot, long eight to extend over the port.

Good luck.

Reactions: LaPlata

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
And speaking of the Birchwood Casey Save-it.,....one thing I did to improve it’s performance in catching and holding a hull for singles shooting is take a piece of plastic tubing and slip it over the entire length of the wire. Doing this increases the diameter of the wire and helps more than you would believe. Something as simple the tube from a used up ball point pen will work.

Reactions: Aaron G and LaPlata

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And speaking of the Birchwood Casey Save-it.,....one thing I did to improve it’s performance in catching and holding a hull for singles shooting is take a piece of plastic tubing and slip it over the entire length of the wire. Doing this increases the diameter of the wire and helps more than you would believe. Something as simple the tube from a used up ball point pen will work.
Good ideal Rick. I'll give it a try. Thanks for being helpful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the late post. I've been in the forum slammer "banned" for awhile on accident. Anyhow this is the design that I have chosen. It deflects the hull at my feet and is very simple. I have tried about six different designs and this suits my needs. It is made of .024" feeler gauge. I can post a video if you would like of it in action. Pew Pew

Attachments

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
Sorry for the late post. I've been in the forum slammer "banned" for awhile on accident. Anyhow this is the design that I have chosen. It deflects the hull at my feet and is very simple. I have tried about six different designs and this suits my needs. It is made of .024" feeler gauge. I can post a video if you would like of it in action. Pew Pew
Ingenious, simple, easy modification anyone can do without a lot of tools. I can see where the spring steel in a feeler gauge might be advantageous. Something you can sometimes find at a garage sale or even buy a new complete set at Harbor Freight for less than a TS.

This is an example of a your idea being a worthy contribution in a post, helping others with your same problem with an easy solution, much better than mine. Thank you Aaron G.

Now, what adhesive material did you use?

Reactions: Aaron G

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your welcome and thank you Rick. It is held on with 3M molding tape. Next I'm going to try the servo tape that you suggested when I'm 100% sure it's where I want it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting solutions. I do have a TS shell catcher but wonder if this work in conjunction with it for singles? I will give it a try. How far into the ejection port did you put the feeler gauge?
Phillips gunsmithing said they could make a deflector but they need the whole gun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts