Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good evening all,
Going through my available powders I found a tub of Bullseye powder which as I don't reload for pistol (being in the UK) I would like to load into 12ga 1 oz loads.
Current data does not list Bullseye for shotgun anymore but I am sure lots of you have used it.....
I have Remington STS, Winchester AA and Cheddite cases
Remington TGT12 and CB1100-12 wads (plus plenty of euro wads for Cheddite cases)
Win 209, CX2000, Maxam 209 and Fiocchi 616 primers
Anyone able to help with the above components?
I also have some Vectan BA10 powder which is a similar burn rate....
Thanks in anticipation
Graham

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Done some googling and it seems a common question but not many definitive answers but looking like a Remington or Winchester case, win 209, cb1100-12 wad and 1 oz load using around 17.5 to 18grains of Bullseye

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Out of the 1983 Hercules(Alliant) reloading book.
Winchester case-Win 209-WWAA12(white)-17.5Bullseye-1200fps-9.900psi

16.0grains takes a 0.135 card in the bottom of the shot cup for 1145fps-8.700psi

I have shot up quite a bit of it. A few years ago I called Alliant to find out why they took it out of the books.
Their answer to me: It's dirty powder at that pressure and we make better powders for that application, but it will work.
Good luck

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ajax.
It is always better to have some confirmation from another reloader that has used it.....
I will load a few varieties to try at the weekend
Regards
Graham

·
Registered
770 Posts
According to Hodgdon, the burning rate of Bullseye falls between Clays & 700X on the faster side and Titegroup on the slower side. This places Bullseye slower than Red Dot with which 17.5 - 18.0 grains are published loads. The loads suggested earlier should be in the ballpark; but you should consider having your loads tested at one of the ballistic labs. -Ed

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Years back I loaded the load AJAX listed. I too have the older Alliant manuals. It's a good, safe load but is dirty. Then again, Bullseye is dirty in pistol also but I have used it for over 50 years. There are better pistol powders now but I still use/like good old Bullseye. Ajax has it right, shoot it up! Colonel

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Here are three tested and published loads from an old Alliant powder guide . Win AA hull 1oz. shot ,Win. 209 primer, Win. AA 12 wad with card filler ,17.5 grs. Bullseye --1200 FPS ,9900 psi. ---- also Fed. Gold Medal hull 1oz. shot , Fed. 209A primer, 12so wad 18 grs. Bullseye ,1200 FPS., 7600 psi. The last one is for Remington Premier hulls but Remington tells me the data for Premier hulls and STS are interchangeable . 1 oz. shot , Win. 209 primer , fig. 8 wad, 17.5 grs. Bullseye, 1200 FPS 7900 psi. There are several more but I have used these .

·
Registered
155 Posts
we use to use bullseye powder back in the 70s for 7/8oz loads 16.0gr with a 12so wad in a Win CF hull or a Rem Premier with a Win primer worked good but had a sharp report.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts