Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Alliant 410 powder. I only use about a pound a year so I buy it in 4 pound bottles. That's not the most economical way to buy it, but at the rate I use it that's okay. Loading 410 I can still save a lot even buying in 4 pound lots.

I thought I might switch powers when this bottle is done, but I still have 2-3 pounds in the bottle so more 410 powder was not on my shopping list. But when I stopped at my dealer, he had another 4 pounder on stock for $73. So I bought it just in case nothing was available when I needed more powder for the 410.

Odd thing, he had two 8 pounders of Universal, but no 20/28. That's not the way it's supposed to be. I'll guess he bought out a small dealer getting out of the reloading supply business.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Alliant 410 is a great powder even though I moved on to MP-300 recently for Sporting Clay loads in the 410. I had used 296 for 30 plus years and like 410 just as well if not better than 296. Recently shot an 81 on our SC course with MP-300 loads in 410. A pair of 75s was my previous best 410 score with 296/Alliant 410 loads.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Another vote for 300MP in the Wienie Gun. I load to 1250 fps, bought 16 lbs, should hold me until I can buy more.

An added bonus is a big velocity boost in Magnum handguns with this powder.

·
Banned
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob K - That dealer had 8 pounds of Universal when I shopped there in Sep. I bought that. That will get me thru two years, and with the partial jug of Universal I already have, almost three. So why should I hog up the limited supply when other shooters may be in desperate need of it? If I can't resupply with Universal or 20-28 in the next three years we are in serious shape.

Hey, if I have a friend that absolutely needs 410 powder I'll probably let have some of my supply.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Sam, call me friend. LOL I am out of 296 and have 1 pound of 410 and one pound of lil gun. Don't know what I'm gonna do when those are gone as I have not been able to find anymore of any kind. Never used 300MP and never saw it in the shops. Jackie B.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Not to knock anyone here because I am a guilty party as well .... but this is why there is very little powder on the shelves. People are buying more than they will require in the forseeable future because they fear not being able to buy more when their supplies do run low. There doesn't appear to be an end to it either.

Anyway Sam, I did much the same thing and bought an 8 Lb jug of 410 because I couldn't find any 296/H110. I am happy with the performance of the 410 powder but probably wouldn't have bought an 8 pounder if I thought I my mind wasn't in the hoarder mode. I don't know that $73/4lb is a good deal but on the other hand you have enough powder to cover your 410 shooting needs for quite some time.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was using 296 until 410 came out, its cleaner, its hard on the shell cases, I understand that the 300MP is not that hard on the shell cases. After I finish my 410 powder I will switch to the 300 MP. All I use the 410's for is shooting skeet for practices before shooting trap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts