Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for powder for 410 reloading, I have been using Alliant 410. Is that good or is there better choices?

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've been using H110 and don't like it. It's a ball powder and the charge bar wants to stick after a shell or two. Maybe someone will chime in on what they use.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Power pro 300 mp. Very fine ball powder but loads great in AA HS hulls. I get some powder leaking from the bottom of the charge bar on my MEC 9000.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have used about every 410 powder there is. In my opinion the 410 is hard to beat.
I agree with tncriswell I have also tried H110, W296, 2400, 300MP, Lil'Gun. 410 provides me with the most uniform velocity and consistent patterns. Strongly recommend 410 powder.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Although I prefer 300MP, I was given a keg of 410 by the Gun Club when I retired. It loads well, proper stack height, clean for the 410 bore, loads well. Runs well in the 9000 MEC.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have used a bunch of alliant410 and liked it, I switched to h110 I think Im getting better hull life with the h110. That said its a filthy powder the 410 was much cleaner and also the h110 does migrate a bit in my pw800plus even with the new spring loaded powder seal. after 500 or so rounds I need to clean the powder gear area or things start to bind up a bit. I am still trying to decide if the hull life is worth the issues that came with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've always used lil gun. Been thinking of going to Ali 410. Any of the old stand bys work great to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’m new to using Alliant 410 and 410 reloading in general. Using 12grns in the AAHS hull per the Alliant recipe and CB5050 wad. Reamed out a #11 MEC bushing slightly with round file to get the 12 grn drop for MEC JR. The MEC 11 and 12 bushings both dropped about .4 grn less than “advertised” with 410 for me, putting me between those two—hence the slight ream job on #11. Powder seems a bit dirty and maybe burns up the hulls a bit quicker, I think (still easily get 5 reloads without too much close inspection and sorting-some last longer but need close look after a few reloads). I’m conservative on the reloads and dispose earlier than many do I think. Crimps are nice in 99% of the hulls even through several reloads. Overall I like it enough to keep using it.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I loaded Alliant 410 powder for about a year. It shot well and consistent, but it was a hull burner. By the way, there is no such thing as a clean burning powder in the 410. I have settled on Alliant 300MP as I like to shoot the little gun around 1300 fps. FWIW Bill

·
Registered
60 Posts
300MP

Try it and you will see the hulls don't crystallize like the other powders have the tendency to do.

I can get 8-10 plus reloads on a 410 hull after using this powder. My loads mimic the supersport shells

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey sport67 do you know what bushing I should use in a PW to drop 16 grains of 300MP?

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
+1 on the 300 MP, Also lil gun because I use it in my 221 Fireball. Got some WC820 military pulldown that works well too.

HM

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
In modern 410 hulls, the 410 Powder only has loads listed up to 1230 fps, and in the old compression AA, up to 1250 fps. And these velocities are accompanied by high pressure.....hull burning pressure!

That is why so many people have gone to 300 MP and other powders, it is low pressure, and can easily get a load up to 1300 fps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I tried 300MP for a while, had a terrible time with it migrating and making a terrible mess. LilGun burns up my hulls too fast as does Alliant 410. I've also tried just about everything else. Don't recall my gripes with the others, but I've been using H110 a long time and always have been pleased with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts