Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m somewhat inexperienced with rifle hunting, as IL only allows shotgun for deer and I haven’t done out of state at all.

I am looking for a caliber that would handle coyote through elk, including whitetail, antelope and muleys. More interested in making sure if had enough power to handle larger game, less so that it might tear up a hide on a coyote. I have a .17 hmr that I could use for coyotes if absolutely necessary.

Any brand preference? I’ve looked at tikka, savage, Winchester, Remington. Price not a huge consideration but would like to keep it under a couple grand with the scope. I have a 220 savage for deer and like the trigger. The accutrigger is different, but I also like single stage no creep, clean break.

Thinking 6.5 creedmoor May fit the bill, but would like to hear from those more experienced.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,767 Posts
30-06 and in a SHTF scenario it’ll be a lot easier to find than the 6.5 crap.
And heads up, Walmart’s down to about $12/20 on Remington Core-Loct everywhere I’ve looked. Bought out ours locally.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
6.5 CM would do in a pinch, but finding cartridges in rural Nowhere would be a challenge, unlike 30-06.
The range of 30-06 bullets and loads covers anything in N. America you could want dead.
It's probably a minimum for nasty, unhappy Grizzlies, but certainly good for Moose, Elk and Deer with a good bullet.
A .375 is not enough for Grizzlies if you shoot them badly.
My most used rifle is a Ruger 77 tang safety in 30-06.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
There's something to be said about the 30-06. Unfortunately many living beings (humans and animals alike) have fallen to that cartridge in the last 114 years. Maybe even more so than any other cartridge. If you want all around and ease of factory ammo or reloading, the '06 is your baby. I know of someone who has a couple. I can send you contact info if interested. Good luck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I like 270 as well as 280 but would go with the 30-06. It more widely available and is sort of a do it all cartridge.
For a rifle I'd probably look for a Tikka or a Sako. I've owned a lot of rifles in my life time and few have performed as well as consistently as the Sako/Tikka have. Plan on spending about as much on the scope as for the rifle.
Best wishes.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
30-06. Ammo readily available, several different loads to use and proven. I have a Browning A-bolt and bought one for the wife with the BOSS system muzzle adjustment/break on it. Not much recoil at all. Muzzle blast is a little rough but not a bad trade for less recoil.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
280 ackley improved, several manufacturers are making the gun almost 7 mag with a lot less recoil. You ever own one you will keep it for a long time I have 50 different rifles but enjoy shooting shooting the 280 ai
more than anything

Mac

·
Registered
14,697 Posts
Since you are a newbie to high power, I'd do the 30-06. Shells available damn near everywhere, and you need to shoot lots of practice rounds and figure out what shoots best outta your gun. Find a local guy that has his act together and enjoy the learning curve. Most of the high power guys are more than willing to show you the ropes, even on reloading.

The new powders and bullets are awesome compared to when I started.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
6.5 CM is lite for elk. I have been using 6.5-06 A Imp since 1968. Haven't tried it on elk, have stayed with 300 H&H in pre 64 Winchester, their first 300 mag.
06' is a good all round cartridge. Lots of good bullets out there now, and new ones all the time.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
For what you are looking for, I'd say 30-06. It can go light and it can go heavy within this caliber's loading range.

For just one rifle, I's still say 30-06. You can find ammo at every corner of the world.
It can handle 90% of the animals, four legged or two legged.

Very few calibers can say all the above.

Reactions: lhedrick1
1 - 20 of 107 Posts