All around rifle? | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

All around rifle?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by trapshootinkid25, Nov 24, 2019.

1. trapshootinkid25

trapshootinkid25 Well-Known Member

I’m somewhat inexperienced with rifle hunting, as IL only allows shotgun for deer and I haven’t done out of state at all.

I am looking for a caliber that would handle coyote through elk, including whitetail, antelope and muleys. More interested in making sure if had enough power to handle larger game, less so that it might tear up a hide on a coyote. I have a .17 hmr that I could use for coyotes if absolutely necessary.

Any brand preference? I’ve looked at tikka, savage, Winchester, Remington. Price not a huge consideration but would like to keep it under a couple grand with the scope. I have a 220 savage for deer and like the trigger. The accutrigger is different, but I also like single stage no creep, clean break.

Thinking 6.5 creedmoor May fit the bill, but would like to hear from those more experienced.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  2. 2500 HD

2500 HD Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Hard to beat a .30-06. For just owning one rifle. That 100 plus year old round can about cover everything in North America and abroad. Or a good .308. Will do about the same in a Short action package. Both very versatile, more economical to shoot and a huge variety of factory loaded options.

3. RayBoucek

RayBoucek Member

For just one rifle,30/06 hands down . You can load it from 100 grains to 220 grain bullets. Will take down anything in no. America.

dklees, OIF2, big kahuna and 5 others thanked this.
  4. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

30-06 and in a SHTF scenario it’ll be a lot easier to find than the 6.5 crap.
    And heads up, Walmart’s down to about $12/20 on Remington Core-Loct everywhere I’ve looked. Bought out ours locally.

5. Strum

Strum Well-Known Member

Id also suggest the 30-06.

I have it in a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker with a VX-2.

I've been very happy with it for years now.

6. saskbooknut

saskbooknut Well-Known Member

6.5 CM would do in a pinch, but finding cartridges in rural Nowhere would be a challenge, unlike 30-06.
    The range of 30-06 bullets and loads covers anything in N. America you could want dead.
    It's probably a minimum for nasty, unhappy Grizzlies, but certainly good for Moose, Elk and Deer with a good bullet.
    A .375 is not enough for Grizzlies if you shoot them badly.
    My most used rifle is a Ruger 77 tang safety in 30-06.

7. buffheed

buffheed Member

7mm-08 should be in the running. Its a great low recoil rifle.

8. lhedrick1

lhedrick1 Well-Known Member

There's something to be said about the 30-06. Unfortunately many living beings (humans and animals alike) have fallen to that cartridge in the last 114 years. Maybe even more so than any other cartridge. If you want all around and ease of factory ammo or reloading, the '06 is your baby. I know of someone who has a couple. I can send you contact info if interested. Good luck.

9. Dustydoo

Dustydoo Well-Known Member

If you are planning on hunting elk ,and are experienced. Stay with the .30 calibers.
    You can down power the 300 Win. Mag. For deer sized game. If you are hunting coyotes and fox, shotgun is a great choice.

superxjeff and 1100 REMINGTON MAN thanked this.
  10. Alan Afton

Alan Afton Member

I like WIN 270 but if you want 1 rifle, the 30-06 is probably the best choice. As per make of rifle, I would focus more on buying the best scope possible within your budget.

11. Jethro15

Jethro15 Active Member

While I have nothing against the 30-06 and own several, I would say 300 Win Mag for a one and done rifle. As said with the 06, the bullet variety For 30 cal is wide. I feel that the 300 Mag offers a little more in the distance department, should you find yourself in that type hunting situation. Just my opinion.

12. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

The 6.5 Creedmore is NOT a good choice for Elk. To hear people talk they can kill Dinosaurs at 1500 yards. Lots of BS peddled with something that is not even equal to a .270 Winchester. With Nosler Partition bullets it would work for a classic broadside shot but many Elk don’t offer that.

13. MsBadWolf

MsBadWolf Well-Known Member

I like 270 as well as 280 but would go with the 30-06. It more widely available and is sort of a do it all cartridge.
    For a rifle I'd probably look for a Tikka or a Sako. I've owned a lot of rifles in my life time and few have performed as well as consistently as the Sako/Tikka have. Plan on spending about as much on the scope as for the rifle.
    Best wishes.

14. murphranch

murphranch Well-Known Member

30-06. Ammo readily available, several different loads to use and proven. I have a Browning A-bolt and bought one for the wife with the BOSS system muzzle adjustment/break on it. Not much recoil at all. Muzzle blast is a little rough but not a bad trade for less recoil.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

trapshootinkid25 thanked this.
  15. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

.30-06 is my first recommendation. .308 second. .300 Win. Mag. third. The last may be a bit excessive for coyotes, but it sure DRT's them!

16. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

I would pick up a 7mm Rem Mag, in a Remington 700, Winchester 70 or Weatherby Vanguard and Leupold 2.5x8 VX 3i .

little bud and trapshootinkid25 thanked this.
  17. mac1

mac1 Active Member

280 ackley improved, several manufacturers are making the gun almost 7 mag with a lot less recoil. You ever own one you will keep it for a long time I have 50 different rifles but enjoy shooting shooting the 280 ai
    more than anything

Mac

Firewater and trapshootinkid25 thanked this.
  18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Since you are a newbie to high power, I'd do the 30-06. Shells available damn near everywhere, and you need to shoot lots of practice rounds and figure out what shoots best outta your gun. Find a local guy that has his act together and enjoy the learning curve. Most of the high power guys are more than willing to show you the ropes, even on reloading.

The new powders and bullets are awesome compared to when I started.

19. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Well-Known Member

6.5 CM is lite for elk. I have been using 6.5-06 A Imp since 1968. Haven't tried it on elk, have stayed with 300 H&H in pre 64 Winchester, their first 300 mag.
    06' is a good all round cartridge. Lots of good bullets out there now, and new ones all the time.

20. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

For what you are looking for, I'd say 30-06. It can go light and it can go heavy within this caliber's loading range.

For just one rifle, I's still say 30-06. You can find ammo at every corner of the world.
    It can handle 90% of the animals, four legged or two legged.

Very few calibers can say all the above.

lhedrick1 thanked this.
Search tags for this page

amazon