Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have powder,3# paper tin can of AL8 and 2# of AL5 left of a 3# tin, will sell,but would keep and load if I had load data. So does any one have data. Thanks Loyd

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Lyman Shotshell Handbook 2nd Edition has some loads, but they seem to be using built up wad columns, #57 and #157 primers, or Alcan 220 primers. On the other hand, you have some mighty fine fertilizer there.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Don't throw them away. I'm shooting Alcan powder now and have the data sheets.

It's mostly for 1-1/4 loads.

What cases,primers are you using?

Ajax

·
Banned
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some options. fed paper,AA,sts cases fed.wolf,cci,cheddites primers.any plastic wad made for these cases. Thanks Loyd

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I got a couple of the 3 lb containers of AL5 in one of those 'free to a good home' deals and from the old data that came with it, the powder is best in the heavier 12 gauge hunting loads and 20 gauge target loads. I'm not going to post data for it but you can find that in the handloading data that was available in the 60's and early 70's. My main use for it is in heavy cast bullet .45 colt loads. Pretty decent powder IMO.

AL-8 is one that I have never tried but it is listed on the burn chart right next to 800X. Thats doesn't mean they are interchangable but rather the application would be similar.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The 220 Max-Fire primers were 209 size.

Alcan made some of the Remington size. They were marked with the Remington designation of "57" or covered flash hole of "157"

greentitan has some nice photos of the different primers. Maybe he will see the thread and post them. I'm shooting the last of my 57's in some Remington cases that were made in the 50's.

Ajax

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
AL5 was for Super handicap loads, AL7 was meant for Heavy field loads, and AL8 was for 3" waterfowl loads.

12 gauge target load powder was AL101, and AL120.

Wayne

1 - 11 of 11 Posts