Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Haven't seen any Alcan powder, primers, wads, hulls,--shells etc. since the 1960\70s, was good stuff, similar to Fed. Made in Sweden, Powders were AL120--AL5-7-&-8---Primers -Max Fire 220. they had a 1 pc wad that had differing amounts of filler wads inside called the flight max. Primers were said to be hot & recommended 1\2 to 1 gr less powder than Rem. or Win. (All this is from memory) Their products were popular around my neck of the woods. Don't know what happened to them. They were distributed out of Alton Ill. Ross Puls

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Alcan was one of the pioneers in reloading components. I used a lot of their products in the 1950'-60's-70's. Good stuff.

Clyde

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
It was very good stuff "back in the day". I always thought that the max-fire primers were slightly oversize....reminds me of a Cheddite.

AL-7 and esp. AL-8 were the slowest burning shotgun powders of the day and you could load some hard hitting Duck and Pheasant loads with them.

Also was good for loading handgun rounds.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe that Homer Clark Jr. had control Alan at one time. Not sure if he were the founder of the Alcan Company. Homer was an excellent live bird shooter.

·
Sky Buster
4,034 Posts
Alcan was bought by Smith & Wesson in the mid 70's.
S&W rifle and pistol ammo was made with Alcan components.
They closed the line out in the early 80's.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I've got some of those old wads too. Don't know what the heck to do with them anymore. Does anybody still load with these things for some special reason?
grntitan_2009_250328.jpg

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If you want them, they are yours. I don't want anything for them. I can give them to you at the Grand. I think I have more than what's pictured.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts