Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given 2 unopened cans of Alcan # 5 powder.....I need reloading data for this powder.......I have some data for 38 special but my reloading manuals do not include loads for other calibers.......Help please??? Thanks........Pete

·
Registered
883 Posts
The only pistol data I found was for very heavy .357 loads(Handloader Magazine,Issue 40) I have an old Alcan loading manual that is made up of half dozen sheets. Will look for it but don't get your hopes up. I honestly believe it too slow & not suitable for what you seem to want. 47 years of pistol reloading.
Tom

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, thanks for all the replys. As usual all you guys are great...... Sorry I forgot to mention I want to use it for pistol but looks like it will work great in the shotguns.........Pete

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Just don't use this powder with plastic wads unless you have a recipe. Those old built up loads with felt wads and nitro card used a lot more powder.

HM

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have shot a lot of AL 5 and AL 7. The best load out of my Mod 12 was 31grs of AL 5-ALCAN #1 wad-ALCAN 220 primer with 1/1-4 of #6's Henry

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Loaded some up with the old felt wad & cards....They worked great on our practice trap.....Nice to see & shoot the old powders......You guys are great again as usual & many thanks for all the fun I am having............Pete

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
They can be used with plastic wads if you use the right data. The 1972 Flite-Max Alcan sheet gives loads and 98% of them are with the Flite-Max wad and it's plastic. They do not list any AL5 or slower for targets loads. They recommend AL120 for that purpose.

I've finished up the AL5 and I'm on the AL7.
Great for 1-1/4 game loads. I have some AL8 also but have not tried any of it yet. I'll save it for 1-13/8. LOL

Ajax

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.