Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thinking of all my friends that hunt brown bears up here. I'd say 338 is probably the most popular, 7mm up there, 308, and the ubiquitous 30-06 loaded with a heavy bullet is always popular in AK.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just remember, they fight back!.
And if you draw blood or hair on your shot ,your tag is filled. Even if you can't or don't recover the the bear.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Nothing bigger than you can shoot accurately. Most people can learn to shoot a 375 but most cant handle the big bores.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You are the hunter, not the guide. I bet that 90% of all brownies killed are without the need of a stopping rifle. Spend your money on great rain gear, hip boots and optics Get in the best shape of your life. Pick a light weight rifle as you will be packing it all day for several days and hopefully you only will shoot it once

If I were to grab a gun from the safe to chase the big stinkies, My Husky 1640 light weight in 9.2x62 with Swift 286 A-Frames would be my choice

·
Registered
289 Posts
I killed my AK grizzly/brown bear with a 375 Ruger. It was off the Denali hiway between Cantwell & Paxton. We stayed at the Alpine Creek Lodge. I think B&C say that it's a brown bear. SCI says it's a grizzly. All I know after the shot & we went up to look----the 375 seemed small. Jake Jefferson, my guide had a 416 Ruger.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I lived on Kodiak Island for 14 years, hunted Sitka Blacktailed deer and Roosevelt Elk on Afognak Island. I shot my elk with .270 and carried a 12 gauge Remington riot gun with LOTS of SLUGS (never buckshot) while packing meat to the lake/camp where the float plane lands. Many close calls with bear but I never shot one! One night while hunting a bear stepped on the corner of our pup tent, it made a real loud woofing sound as he was surprised-- me and my bro-in-law just soiled our sleeping bags.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I have slept in Grizzly country a couple times in both Idaho and Alaska but not in Brown Bear Country but when I do I will most likely carry my 300 H&H Mag. and see no reason to buy another gun and if I owned a 30-06 I would just go hunting. I have seen enough of my Dad and Brother shooting there 30-06 rifles with 180-220gr bullets you are good to go. Better yet if you hand load with Premium Bullets from Nosler, Swift all the better.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Just one story--
Out at the cabin for a deer hunt but it was just too rainy, bored bro-in-law and I decided to walk up to where the creek met the head of the bay--brackish water for a few ducks. Sneaking through the alders with my 16 gauge we crossed bear tracks--a set of cubs and a really big set (my 9 1/2 boot didn't span cross ways). The really scary thing was water was just starting to run in to the track! Duck hunting was canceled. Never saw the sow and cub but smelled them strong.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
When you see how high off the ground they can mark a tree or hear stories of pulling rain gutters off a cabin roof nuff for me.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I was in a large hemlock stand in north Jersey about 10 years ago by myself and found claw marks in a tree that probably started 3’ or so over my head. Now obviously that’s only a black bear but it certainly gave me an uncomfortable feeling.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I guided brown bear hunters for over 20 years on the Alaska peninsula, my choice has always been a 338 win mag with 250 grain nosler partitions. It works well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts