Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is taking me along with her to see our kids and grandkids in the Houston area. She said that our son might take me to a shooting range one day to keep me busy. Since he doesn't even own a gun I am assuming he's taking me to a range where guns can be rented - presumably handguns. Rather than spend retail for ammunition I thought about stuffing a couple of boxes of 9mm shells in my check in bag.

Is this acceptable for airline travel ? Would I have to declare the ammo and then lock the bag ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Depending on the range, they may require ammunition to be purchased on site to be shot through the rental guns.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
You won't have a firearm, but here are the rules...

Ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed, however airlines may require the firearm and ammuntion be seperated. Consult your air carrier to determine quantity limitations or whether the ammunition must be packed separately from the firearm.

Check with your airline to see if there are limitations, such as weight or packaging. Most, if not all, only allow 11 pounds gross weight (five Kgs.) for both ammunition and packaging.

The ammunition must travel in the manufacturer's packaging or other packaging suitable for transport, such as a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, or metal box specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition to prevent movement of cartridges.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

* Some airlines don't allow ammo in clips.

·
Premium Member
12,311 Posts
Typically you may carry 5 kg / 11 lbs of ammunition, for personal use in YOUR bag. You may not combine amounts in one bag.

Between you and your wife you may each then carry the 5 kg - but not in the same bag.

Beyond that there should be no specific regs on ammo, except that it should be packed in factory boxes, or boxes specifically designed for ammo (think MTM Case Guard) - no loose ammo, no loaded magazines.

Check with the airline as to its specific terms/conditions for ammo. Worth looking at the TSA regs as well.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
The few times I've flown, it was with ammo (shotgun shells).

I just tossed loose boxes into my duffel bag, and and any extra shells left over all got combined into one box with a grocery bag stuffed into to make everything tight (so they weren't rattling around). Really didn't care if the boxes burst in transit, as I would just re-box when I got home, as long as everything was intact when I checked my bag @ the counter, that's all I cared about.

IIRC, I don't think I even bothered to declare them on either the two or from flights, just the gun, which was in its own case. I didn't bother locking the duffel bag, so if it came up on xray, they could have opened it on their own to inspect...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
>> Depending on the range, they may require ammunition to be purchased on site to be shot through the rental guns.

Bingo, every range I've ever been to required you to use their ammo in their guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts